Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:28 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,659,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
There are TWO GENERATIONS of seniors.

The early baby boomers, especially college graduates, are pretty familiar with computers and fairly comfortable with them.

Our parents, many of whom are in their 80s do NOT use computers.

Honestly, as much as I have used computers, there are a few things that I would like to have a college student walk me through on the computer.
Once in a while, yes, so would I. But mostly, seniors either know how to use computers or they are older and not interested or can't learn it. For a person over age 80, from what I've observed, it's pretty hard to learn computers. The ones I have known who have tried it just couldn't grasp it even though they were intelligent. Also, as time goes on there will be fewer and fewer people who don't know how to use computers. But there are always a few exceptions to the rule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2014, 07:01 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,540,287 times
My wife has an older (73) friend who has semi-adequate computing skills, but she got an iPhone a year ago and has totally mastered it. Sends texts all the time including pictures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement