U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2014, 08:02 PM

6,353 posts, read 5,171,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I know many people who are 'marginally employed'. A contract for a distributor to stock shelves in one store for 10hours/week. A part-time minimum-wage job, and a seasonal job. When it is all totaled they less than fulltime minimum-wage.

These people are commonly working 40 to 60 hours a week.

But their take-home is less than if they were earning minimum-wage.
Good point.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2014, 09:03 PM

30,710 posts, read 49,503,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Good point.
I stocked shelves in a grocery store for about 8 months. While there I got to know a lot of other stockers.

One stocker also sells jewelry on the weekends, and stocks 3 grocery stores.

We have a close friend who stocks in a grocery, a Best Buy, and she sells fresh produce at a Farmer's Market.

Any of these people would earn a higher level of income if they worked for minimum-wage full-time. And they would work less hours.

Fortunately there are places where the living wage is a lot less than minimum-wage.

Old 05-21-2014, 09:14 PM

8,628 posts, read 9,701,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MG120 View Post
Not true. Food service workers, i.e. waitresses/waiters make 2 dollars an hour or less if they get tips in many states. And I guarantee most of them have nothing in the way of benefits.
Arizona food servers made $2.17 hour for many years but about six years ago it went up to $4.85 hour. The chains...Denny's, etc...DO offer some bennies. They offer their employees medical insurance and it used to be about $90 mo.. Don't know what it is now. They also get paid vacations...one week after one year, two weeks after two years, etc.. Food servers can make some really good money depending on where they work and what type of server they are.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,869 posts, read 54,582,197 times
Quote:
I stocked shelves in a grocery store for about 8 months. While there I got to know a lot of other stockers.

We have a close friend who stocks in a grocery, a Best Buy, and she sells fresh produce at a Farmer's Market.

Any of these people would earn a higher level of income if they worked for minimum-wage full-time. And they would work less hours.

Fortunately there are places where the living wage is a lot less than minimum-wage.
You would be surprised to know how many people making $60-100k are also working part-time 2nd jobs or running a part time business. Here in my group, one is selling collectibles on E-Bay, another has a side business doing websites, another sells vintage clothing online, another does consulting. I have a business that I do on weekends and some evenings, my wife has two additional part-time jobs. We will both get pensions but probably less than half of what are primary jobs pay now, so we are trying to increase our savings and establish some additional income streams for when we retire.

Old 05-23-2014, 07:51 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,857,647 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
You would be surprised to know how many people making $60-100k are also working part-time 2nd jobs or running a part time business. Here in my group, one is selling collectibles on E-Bay, another has a side business doing websites, another sells vintage clothing online, another does consulting. I have a business that I do on weekends and some evenings, my wife has two additional part-time jobs. We will both get pensions but probably less than half of what are primary jobs pay now, so we are trying to increase our savings and establish some additional income streams for when we retire.

I quoted both of you as those are ideas that are very common. It is important that people come up with ideas like that. If not then a low waged employee cannot possibly even consider retirement at any age. But we all know that some people are much more motivated then others.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:57 AM

30,710 posts, read 49,503,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
I quoted both of you as those are ideas that are very common. It is important that people come up with ideas like that. If not then a low waged employee cannot possibly even consider retirement at any age. But we all know that some people are much more motivated then others.
Home ownership, with no debt, in a low COL / low tax area, does allow for low income people to live on their SS and disability incomes.

Old 05-23-2014, 09:16 AM

491 posts, read 598,969 times
As I see it, another option besides working a second job for low wage earners is to be frugal. When I was younger and before health issues prevented it, I heated my home with wood, had a large garden of which I canned and froze enough to make it thru the winter, did most all home maintenance and repair myself(painting, tiling etc) . Vacation were often used to do home projects or camping and hiking.

I still do many of those things like hanging up washing, repairing clothing rather than throwing and buying new, shopping at thrift stores, cooking from scratch etc. The after work hours spent on those things easily added up to a part time job, but they imho were more focused on my home and my needs. My observation which might not be true for all is that people who have second jobs selling jewelry or whatever, and even those who stock shelves tend to want the very thing they are dealing with and end up spending all of their extra money on that item(like jewelry).

Old 05-23-2014, 11:23 AM

3,746 posts, read 4,224,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golfingduo View Post
The guy that mows my lawn is in his sixties. He has told me that he knows he can never retire. Like many low incomer earners, he does not have the aptitude to do any work other than manual labor. He rents a room for about $400/month and has enough money left over to pay for food and a telephone line. Fortunately, he is content.

Old 05-23-2014, 11:26 AM

1,926 posts, read 994,685 times
I have been thinking about buying a riding mower. I miss mowing and I could make some cash without leaving the neighborhood.

Old 05-24-2014, 06:24 AM

282 posts, read 306,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Blue View Post
As I see it, another option besides working a second job for low wage earners is to be frugal. When I was younger and before health issues prevented it, I heated my home with wood, had a large garden of which I canned and froze enough to make it thru the winter, did most all home maintenance and repair myself(painting, tiling etc) . Vacation were often used to do home projects or camping and hiking.

I still do many of those things like hanging up washing, repairing clothing rather than throwing and buying new, shopping at thrift stores, cooking from scratch etc. The after work hours spent on those things easily added up to a part time job, but they imho were more focused on my home and my needs.
Me too. I see too many people spending money on smart phones, high-end cable TV plans (hopper, DVR), $5 cups of coffee, eating out, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or