U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2015, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Las Vegas
13,905 posts, read 25,359,984 times
Reputation: 26428

Advertisements

People who have more, expect more. And want more. Someone who has been working poor all his adult life has expectations much more in line with what he will get in retirement. That doesn't mean he will like it or won't be wishing he had more but he will make do the best he can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2015, 06:12 PM
 
Location: Sugarmill Woods , FL
6,235 posts, read 5,918,887 times
Reputation: 13647
You probably won't be able to retire. Sorry.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 07:07 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times
Reputation: 32309
There is another thread that sort of parallels this one ("Where are the people who don't have enough to retire?") and is currently active. Over there several people have posted that it's no problem if one doesn't have "enough" - one just retires on the taxpayer's dime. Apparently becoming "disabled" facilitates the process greatly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2015, 09:46 PM
 
Location: Idaho
1,457 posts, read 1,159,750 times
Reputation: 5540
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Anyone?
DaveinMtAiry,

I believe that when you file for SS, your wife will continue to get her own plus a supplement so that the total is equal to one half of your benefit. You can verify this with a social security office.


Strategies to Boost Your Social Security-Kiplinger
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 01:35 AM
 
71,898 posts, read 71,942,576 times
Reputation: 49447
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Have a question: my wife's SS benefit is about half of mine. But she is 2 years older than I am. Can she file for her benefit before I do, allowing mine to get larger, then re-file and take the 50% of my benefit which at that point will be larger than her benefit?
it all depends what age she is filing at.

if she is filing early before her fra than she never can get 1/2 yours . she will get a kicker added to her own when you file but it will always be less than 1/2.

once she files early her benefit is her benefit forever.

are we talking her filing early or at her fra for her benefit? that matters

.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 02:17 AM
 
Location: Cochise county, AZ
4,986 posts, read 3,475,327 times
Reputation: 10533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
There is another thread that sort of parallels this one ("Where are the people who don't have enough to retire?") and is currently active. Over there several people have posted that it's no problem if one doesn't have "enough" - one just retires on the taxpayer's dime. Apparently becoming "disabled" facilitates the process greatly.
Escort, I've come to admire you greatly but your remarks hurt because I am one of those who have become disabled due to the car accident I've talked about repeatedly. Since I had been working since I was 16, now 61, I have put quite a lot into the taxpayers dime.

Just too sensitive I think. I know you weren't talking to me directly. And I have run into people I really wondered how they got declared disabled, so I hear what you're saying. But, with winter you can't see the back brace I wear. The cane is obvious, but...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 02:48 AM
 
71,898 posts, read 71,942,576 times
Reputation: 49447
Like i said , no one can ever make any statement that apply's to all .

There is always going to be someone who says not me. we don't start every post with except for ........

But that does not mean it isn't true, whatever it is good or bad for others in that situation.. Only they know if it apply's to them .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 05:47 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times
Reputation: 32309
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Escort, I've come to admire you greatly but your remarks hurt because I am one of those who have become disabled due to the car accident I've talked about repeatedly. Since I had been working since I was 16, now 61, I have put quite a lot into the taxpayers dime.

Just too sensitive I think. I know you weren't talking to me directly. And I have run into people I really wondered how they got declared disabled, so I hear what you're saying. But, with winter you can't see the back brace I wear. The cane is obvious, but...
Good point. And indeed, I wasn't referring to people like you, but rather to those who can take their dogs on LONG hikes (many miles) but somehow can't work. I am very sorry that my remarks caused you pain. Also, I am so sorry that you suffered serious injuries in that car accident. I have no resentment whatsoever about my tax dollars going to people like you, who are more than deserving.

Best wishes to you as you struggle forward with your back problems!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 06:35 PM
 
Location: middle tennessee
1,926 posts, read 995,239 times
Reputation: 7007
true colors
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2015, 07:02 PM
 
Location: Subconscious Syncope, USA (Northeastern US)
2,367 posts, read 1,640,427 times
Reputation: 3814
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escort Rider View Post
Good point. And indeed, I wasn't referring to people like you, but rather to those who can take their dogs on LONG hikes (many miles) but somehow can't work. I am very sorry that my remarks caused you pain. Also, I am so sorry that you suffered serious injuries in that car accident. I have no resentment whatsoever about my tax dollars going to people like you, who are more than deserving.

Best wishes to you as you struggle forward with your back problems!
Just because I can walk, doesnt mean I can concentrate. It doesnt mean I have a steady hand. It doesnt mean I dont have unexpected seisures, or havent had 2 heart attacks and need to lower my risk for a third. Not all disabilities are visible.

There are disabled people out there that deserve their benefits. There are also disabled people out there that are constantly denied their benefits although they deserve them. There are abuses of the SSI system. It is what it is, and if one researched all its uses, they would be ashamed to deny any AMERICAN access to it - or should be. *steps off soapbox*
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top