U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:28 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
Hah. When I had my short stint at Wally world it seemed the company policy was to try to fire long term employees and replace them with 2-3 minimum wagers.
Maybe it's just my store and the area I live in but it's pretty hard to get fired here. I've seen people be fired but not to be replaced by minimum wagers. They were fired for no call/no show, theft, VERY bad customer service, etc.. I am convinced that my store is one of the best and I've heard this from people just passing through in their travels. I also check out other stores when I travel. I have always come home with a bigger appreciation for my store.

Why would they fire a $15 hour employee to hire two $8.00 hour employees? That doesn't make much sense. They are still paying out $16 hour.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 AM

5,227 posts, read 2,312,320 times
Many don't retire, they simply get too old to work, or too sickly to work and with the combination of the two. They become no longer workers. It does not mean retirement.

Because "Retirement" is actually a "self elected status". (withdrawal from one's position or occupation or from active working life).

Living on Social Security alone does not support the quality of life, one would aspire with an 'elected status as being retired".

Old 04-16-2014, 09:40 AM

18,081 posts, read 22,914,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caltovegas View Post
One main factor why the poor stay poor is there's no profit for the financial industry to educate them.
I think America needs to re-think it's idea of who the poor are. There are a lot of educated baby boomers living on SSI, like me, out here. Stuff happens, you end up poor and on the dole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post

Living on Social Security alone does not support the quality of life, one would aspire with an 'elected status as being retired".
Now, I gotta disagree with you here. Some folk would aspire to having the freedom of no longer having to work at a job they can't stand. They make the choice to retire early to a simple, but free and happy life.

Some would rather be free and poor, rather than take the gamble that by the time they pile up "enough" money, they will still be well enough and spry enough to do whatever it is you think they are "aspiring" to do.

It's funny, as I got older, traveling became not so fun. I always thought I'd want to travel when I retired. But, it turns out that I like knowing what kind of noises I will hear throughout the night. I like my soft bed. I actually like my little routines.

Perhaps I don't yearn to travel because I live in a sunny, warm place. If I still lived in WA state, I'd probably still be yearning to get out lol!

But, right now the birds are singing, the sun is shining through my open window, my dog is curled up next to me, I'm chatting with interesting people online. And my major decisions for the day: Which dog park shall we go to, oh and I need to remember to buy some more coffee filters at the dollar store. Other than that, the day is my own.

And that ain't all bad

Old 04-16-2014, 10:17 AM

491 posts, read 597,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I think America needs to re-think it's idea of who the poor are. There are a lot of educated baby boomers living on SSI, like me, out here. Stuff happens, you end up poor and on the dole.

Now, I gotta disagree with you here. Some folk would aspire to having the freedom of no longer having to work at a job they can't stand. They make the choice to retire early to a simple, but free and happy life.

Some would rather be free and poor, rather than take the gamble that by the time they pile up "enough" money, they will still be well enough and spry enough to do whatever it is you think they are "aspiring" to do.

It's funny, as I got older, traveling became not so fun. I always thought I'd want to travel when I retired. But, it turns out that I like knowing what kind of noises I will hear throughout the night. I like my soft bed. I actually like my little routines.

Perhaps I don't yearn to travel because I live in a sunny, warm place. If I still lived in WA state, I'd probably still be yearning to get out lol!

But, right now the birds are singing, the sun is shining through my open window, my dog is curled up next to me, I'm chatting with interesting people online. And my major decisions for the day: Which dog park shall we go to, oh and I need to remember to buy some more coffee filters at the dollar store. Other than that, the day is my own.

And that ain't all bad
When I tried to rep you it said I needed to spread it around! I was one of those who chose to retire early to a simple, but free happy life. I actually could come up with a whole list of friends who per the op would be considered low income and who retired earlier than 65. I think we are advertised to to believe that the only way to be happy in retirement is to have it all: house on a golf course, money to do every little thing our hearts desire, big fancy vacations, a new wardrobe every year and so on and one and the enormous investment account to go with it. But, many of us have discovered otherwise.

I too thought I would want to travel more, but several medical conditions and the need to sleep with familiar sounds and my sleep number bed make it less appealing. I have averaged a couple of trip a year since not working. And, I don't live in a sunny place with year round warmth. But, I like winter, good thing.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:25 AM

176 posts, read 509,727 times
Note there are three major costs retired people shouldn't have:
1. Cost of raising children
2. Cost of employment (business clothing to gasoline...)
3. Cost of mortgage (you should be able to pay off a 20 year mortgage in a 40 year working life--although this doesn't apply to people who keep trading up to fancier and fancier homes)

But basically I doubt if most of the posters here understand how the lower 20% of the population can possibly survive because they don't have a middle class income.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM

8 posts, read 7,065 times
Default i have to digress.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
Note there are three major costs retired people shouldn't have:
1. Cost of raising children
2. Cost of employment (business clothing to gasoline...)
3. Cost of mortgage (you should be able to pay off a 20 year mortgage in a 40 year working life--although this doesn't apply to people who keep trading up to fancier and fancier homes)

But basically I doubt if most of the posters here understand how the lower 20% of the population can possibly survive because they don't have a middle class income.
1. Even when you are old, you still pay school district taxes.
2. If you have been lower mid class all your life, you are going to have to work until you basically can not.
3. Again, it is not a matter of trading for fancier homes. It is a matter of people having to refinance to pay for family expenses at some point OR their own medical expenses.

You are assuming that people will never be hospitalized, that car accidents will never happen, and that the cost of living will always stay the same. All those are not realistic.

It is really grim for the millions of old people that are like that. Not to get into the stupid politics of it, but If Obamacare holds thru the next Republican administration, then Old Folks are the ones who will benefit the most, precisely because health becomes the #1 expense for old people.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:56 AM

624 posts, read 602,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
That's not quite true. When people apply to Walmart they tell them their availability. If they leave it open they will be asked to work any hours between 6 AM and 11 PM. You can tell them what days off you want/need as well. When I applied I stated I'd work any hours from 7 AM to 9 PM but neglected to say what days off so they gave me whatever two days they wanted. Then I was getting so many split days off it was driving me nuts so I changed my availability to Thurs. thru Mon. with Tues. and Wed. off every week. They do this for people going to college or who take care of elderly parents, etc.. We DO have some say in our schedules. And nobody works 7 days a week, ever. Not even management.

Walmart doesn't start anyone at minimum wage, which is $7.25 in AZ. The lowest starting wage is $8 hour, which I believe should be more but the raises come fairly fast. I'll soon be getting my 5th raise in 4 years. It also depends on what position you are hired for and over night shift makes more. I have friends who are making at least $15 hour and quite a few who are making more that have been there from 10 to 25 years.

I regret not going to work for Walmart years ago. By now I'd have had a very healthy 401k, probably shares of stock, life insurance and, before Medicare, health insurance. Part time or full time, doesn't matter. All of us get those things...if we want them. I've always worked part time because it's what I want. Others want full time so it works out.
My Walmart must be run differently than your WM. I applied, and was told I had to be available 7 days a week, and be willing to work some days, some evenings. And they could not guarantee I would get the same amount of hours every week. The only way I could get 32 hours a week (WM's version of full-time) was to work overnights in their bakery. That shift/position also paid the most, 9 bucks an hour.

Needless to say, I was very fortunate I was offered another less crappy job, so I dodged the Walmart bullet. Glad to hear working at WM has been good for you...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:59 PM

13,313 posts, read 25,546,272 times
Regarding ALFs and Medicaid- I thought ALFs were all out of pocket, and that Medicaid only kicks in for skilled nursing homes.
A lot of old/older people don't need to be "cared for," they need more money than they have for the normal bills of daily living.

For the poster who referred to "being on the dole" with SSI- you don't don't get it unless you paid in for the proper amount of time. That's not "the dole."

Old 04-16-2014, 03:17 PM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ten Cat View Post
My Walmart must be run differently than your WM. I applied, and was told I had to be available 7 days a week, and be willing to work some days, some evenings. And they could not guarantee I would get the same amount of hours every week. The only way I could get 32 hours a week (WM's version of full-time) was to work overnights in their bakery. That shift/position also paid the most, 9 bucks an hour.

Needless to say, I was very fortunate I was offered another less crappy job, so I dodged the Walmart bullet. Glad to hear working at WM has been good for you...
I guess they wanted you to have open availability but not really for 7 days a week, just whatever 5 days they needed you which means no choices in days off. I work some days and some evenings. My schedule changes every day and can be 7-3, 12-9, 10-2 and anything in between. I work 32 hours most of the time but it can be anywhere from 27 to 37. Thirty two is part time, full time is 37.

People complain that Walmart hires too many part time people but when you consider how many employees they have it would be next to impossible for all of them to be full timers. Although if the store has hours to fill they should. The people I know are grateful for even part time and they are pretty much assured that full time will come, eventually. We are a crazy busy store and are always hiring for all departments. People advance fairly fast in my store too, which is good if that's a person's ambition.

I'm glad you got a "less crappy job". And I'm also glad that Walmart has been good to me.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:25 PM

969 posts, read 2,519,070 times
I am 58 - with a 401K - and not much else. I expected to be happy working until forever - been at the same job for 23 years. But recently some new hires have changed the tenor of the workplace and I find myself counting down to max Social Security age - gawd forbid I am pushed out prior to that - I will be looking at a hugely different set of circumstances.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or