U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 12:59 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,880,366 times

Advertisements

I thought of another one this morning on my way to a(nother!) doctor's appt.: You know you are getting old when you look down at your hands and you see your mothers'/fathers' hands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 01:07 PM

698 posts, read 419,915 times
You're not as young as you used to be if when your doctor says "You need an angioplasty", your response is "Another one?"

Old 04-30-2014, 01:35 PM

306 posts, read 338,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hefe View Post
The first concrete marker that makes you realize you are getting older is when you involuntarily make a noise when you bend down to pick something up. Hey, that's what Dad used to do!
So true!

Old 04-30-2014, 04:31 PM

3,949 posts, read 3,270,657 times
I think for me it was the realization that I was not recognizing anyone at the Academy Awards, music awards, or many of the actors on TV. Then, I also realized that the "grandkids" were now in their 20's, and my own was in her late forties. I remember the day I realized my Dad was getting on in years, he died a few years later, and going through his stuff one day thought about his insistence that Frank Sinatra was still the best vocalist out there.

I'm 69 now and still amazed at the speed at which we become socially irrelevant, the young seem so detached sometimes but I realize they grew up in another era and won't be a clone of myself or anyone in my generation. I'm more unsure of my footing while hiking, more tired at days end, even when I do very little, less able to see well at night, and less capable of hearing what others have to say. Getting old is natures way of allowing us the time to grow wiser, and wisdom is something we all could use more of...

Old 04-30-2014, 06:55 PM

277 posts, read 298,750 times
Two instances come to mind: first was several years ago when I was dating a new person and we were swapping life stories. Loud and clear, during something I was saying, came the certain realization that I had more past than future. I don't know why, but, at 53, that struck me in a very profound way.

During my years as a flight attendant for TWA, I remember a DC-9 flight. While disembarking a little old lady pax turned to her husband, who must have been hard of hearing, and yelled, "Henry! This plane's being flown by children". I thought it was hilarious at the time, but the other day while strolling off a flight I flashed back to that moment and could identify.

Old 05-01-2014, 05:19 AM

2,684 posts, read 2,933,531 times
When a young friend told me she is retiring. She is 65. And a still younger friend told me he had no idea who Jack Benny was. Has it really been that long?

Old 05-01-2014, 11:00 AM

8,612 posts, read 8,317,742 times
LOL, plane being flown by children

Jack Benny was cool, although the only reason I know is from reruns on JTV. But I like the old classics better. I've never even seen Survivor. Give me an old Cary Grant movie any day, ever since I was thirty. When I was a teen I would rush home to watch I Love Lucy reruns on a little B&W 13" TV. Lassie, Gilligan, loved it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or