U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:26 PM

4,575 posts, read 7,066,289 times

Advertisements

Just recently...I'm 66 and inside still feel pretty young (like I still have plans), but recently I have slowed down so much, such as walking, falling asleep earlier and earlier. Now I'm tired because I still work (just a little while longer) but I have noticed a significant change. It's not a bad thing, but different. On a positive note, I do appreciate each day much more and try to be more aware of how I spend my time.

One thing, when I hear about people passing away, on TV or the news, and their age isn't all that much older than me, that scares me. My grandparents and parents have been gone for a long time so I'm already through that part of life.

Yes, when I look in the mirror lately I feel I've aged in the past year...I do see both my mom and dad (different parts). But when I look at myself I don't see an old person (trick mirror I guess), but I know people out in the world probably do. But I find that getting older is very "freeing" in so many ways.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:48 PM

726 posts, read 700,516 times
feeling it at 26, lol.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:15 PM

7,947 posts, read 5,053,236 times
Coworkers at the office used to say, "You'll be better able to take management directives in stride, once your hair turns grey". Now managers say: "You'll be better able to explain our directives to the employees, once your remaining hair turns white".

Old 04-16-2014, 02:54 PM

8,623 posts, read 9,694,429 times
[quote=CCc girl;34394511]So true, jeanji... Dh can hardly walk now and he looks at all the stuff he started and it kills him. That huge workshop hasn't seen him in months. The house will never get finished. I really don't care, as long as we're together I'm happy for each day given to me. And I thank the powers above for each one, too. Never did that before, always took it for granted we had forever. Not any more.[/quote]

In the past year or so I've come to realize that "forever" isn't worth counting on. I hadn't been to see an aunt for so long I was feeling guilty and kept saying I really HAD to go see her. But she's been there my whole life and I guess I was just thinking she'd STILL 'be there' when I went again. She passed away one Dec. morning in 2012. Then there was the cousin, just turned 65, that I had spent several days with on vacation. After I got home I kept thinking I really needed to at least call him but didn't. He died early one morning the week after I was there. Suddenly and unexpectedly. So, no more. When I feel I HAVE to go see someone, I do. I can't keep taking family for granted because you never know when they'll be gone 'forever', no matter what age.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:55 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,745,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
When did you know you just weren't so young anymore?
I'm 34 and male. I realized I wasn't so young anymore when:

-My music students looked at me with a puzzled expression when I referenced a "VCR".

-I discovered that not only does nobody use cassette tapes anymore but people have, en masse, rid themselves of their cassette players.

-Songs that were popular when I was in college were playing on the OLDIES station.

-My maximum weightlifting ability began to decrease in spite of not changing the workout routine I'd been using for years.

-Cars I remember seeing brand new on dealers' lots started sporting historic vehicle plates.

-The gray hairs started coming and the onslaught never let up.

-The random aches and pains started happening for no apparent reason.

-Illnesses I used to whip in three or four days started dragging on for twice that long.

-My metabolic rate dropped by 50% (evinced by my weight increasing dramatically despite no upward change in my eating habits).

-A girl I dated in college, who was only 1 1/2 years my senior, died of cancer.

-I stopped caring about technological advancement and obstinately dug my heels into the ground, saying things like "This was fine for me back then and it's fine for me now!"

-They stopped producing the Walkman.

-I transitioned from "I like being my age" to "I wish I could go back to when I was younger!" (Don'tcha hate that? First it's "I wish I was older so I could [blah], [blah], [blah]", then it's "It's cool being the age I am", then it becomes "I wish I could go back to being young again so that I wouldn't have to [blah], [blah], [blah]".)

-People with whom I was friends in high school and college started pumping out kids.

-I started seeking out healthy foods I once eschewed, such as fresh vegetables and oatmeal, and turned my back on my old friends Ramen noodles, hot dogs, potato chips, and Spaghetti-Os... all for the same reason.

-I started wishing I could go back in time, find my younger self, and beat some serious sense into him.

-Movies that were all the rage in my younger years got re-released under a banner including the word "Classic".

-I started to hate driving.

-I had my first day when I "just wasn't in the mood".

-I started going for months at a time without playing video games, and didn't care.

-I started using the phrase "When I was your age..."

-I switched from thinking about how great things will be in the future, to how great things seem to have been in the past.

-Kids started calling me old.

-My nose hairs and beard hairs started turning white, one by one.

And I can only imagine how this list will grow, the older I get. According to the kids, I'm old. According to the elderly people for whom I perform regularly, I'm "still a baby". The truth, as always, is somewhere between the extrema...

Old 04-16-2014, 02:59 PM

647 posts, read 1,037,572 times
Knew I was "getting" or was old when I had to pluck my first chin hair. Now it's a daily battle!!

Old 04-16-2014, 03:01 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
When I turned 65 and started taking my pensions and signed up for Medicare.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:05 PM

834 posts, read 943,332 times
You know you are falling apart when your grand kids ask you to join their game as a zombie.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:07 PM

983 posts, read 2,179,088 times
Few years back when I had to have reading glasses with me all the time ;-)

Old 04-16-2014, 03:35 PM

4,634 posts, read 4,477,565 times
The first realization that I'm not a youngster anymore was when I was 40. Before that, whenever we'd do something physical, such as a game of tackle football, (without pads of course, they were pickup games), we'd be sore that night, but the next morning, we'd be all healed up and ready to go..

After turning 40, I noticed that the next morning, the body was still sore. "Whoa! What's going on here? ... I don't think I like this."

I still do "stuff", (not tackle football anymore), and am usually sore afterward, depending on how hard or intensely I've 'pushed it'. I've just learned to live with it and discovered what my limits are. Always testing the limits however.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or