U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 05:13 AM

2,321 posts, read 2,092,952 times

Advertisements

Great list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post

-I discovered that not only does nobody use cassette tapes anymore but people have, en masse, rid themselves of their cassette players. -- Hey, wait, I use them still. Still have a cassette player. All my old music. Can't do away with that.

-Songs that were popular when I was in college were playing on the OLDIES station.

-The random aches and pains started happening for no apparent reason.

-Illnesses I used to whip in three or four days started dragging on for twice that long.

-My metabolic rate dropped by 50% (evinced by my weight increasing dramatically despite no upward change in my eating habits).

-I stopped caring about technological advancement and obstinately dug my heels into the ground, saying things like "This was fine for me back then and it's fine for me now!"

-They stopped producing the Walkman.

-People with whom I was friends in high school and college started pumping out kids.

-I started seeking out healthy foods I once eschewed, such as fresh vegetables and oatmeal, and turned my back on my old friends Ramen noodles, hot dogs, potato chips, and Spaghetti-Os... all for the same reason. (And HATING it, and going back and forth about whether I should suffer from lack of this one enjoyment.)

-I started wishing I could go back in time, find my younger self, and beat some serious sense into him.

-Movies that were all the rage in my younger years got re-released under a banner including the word "Classic".

-I had my first day when I "just wasn't in the mood". -- Also known as nearly every day to me, or menopause.

-I started using the phrase "When I was your age..." -- I'll say to cute, young people, "Enjoy this time. Live it UP. You don't think this (pointing at myself) will happen to you, because I didn't, either." And they look at me like the freaky oldster I've become.

-I switched from thinking about how great things will be in the future, to how great things seem to have been in the past.

My one addition: An elderly lady working at the grocery checkout asked me, "Senior discount?" I nearly dropped all my ice cream. I was only 47 then, just three years ago. I actually felt good that day and was smiling, glad her lane was open. Then I sat and mourned the loss of my youth as soon as I got home and called everyone I knew so they'd commiserate with me. Bloody awful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 05:43 AM

3,422 posts, read 3,186,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
When the younger kids working in the checkout lines started calling me sir......I hate that..............I guess they are being respectful but still.....
Yeah, when the guys at my gym in their 30's started calling me sir.

And, when I started developing tendonitis from trying to keep up with the guys in their 30s,

And when I cannot remember what day it is or what I did yesterday,

And, when I look in the mirror and think, "who is that scary looking mu*#$*....

So, around 50

Old 04-17-2014, 08:25 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobiashen View Post
Great list!

My one addition: An elderly lady working at the grocery checkout asked me, "Senior discount?" I nearly dropped all my ice cream. I was only 47 then, just three years ago. I actually felt good that day and was smiling, glad her lane was open. Then I sat and mourned the loss of my youth as soon as I got home and called everyone I knew so they'd commiserate with me. Bloody awful.
'Fess-up now. You actually called them all to see if they were still alive!

Old 04-17-2014, 08:32 AM

8,619 posts, read 9,689,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I thought of something else. When I started buying things and thinking that this is the last one I will ever have to buy. This one will last the rest of my life.

(If that gets to be a cake of soap or a bottle of shampoo it will be really scary.)
Even bananas! My kids keep telling me that I shouldn't buy green ones because I might not be around when they get ripe. lol

Old 04-17-2014, 09:36 AM

6,071 posts, read 9,535,742 times
When I was in my 30's at university, I used to sit on the floor doing homework. A decade or so later, I had trouble getting up from the floor after doing some paperwork - that's when I started feeling physically old. Mentally/emotionally, I was born old!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:04 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,851,233 times
When the folks on a Retirement thread about not being young anymore or realizing that they are getting older .... are in their 30's and 40's!

Old 04-17-2014, 10:47 AM

381 posts, read 352,836 times
I agree with jghorton. I am in my 70's.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:36 AM

790 posts, read 1,010,238 times
ITT: self loathing idiots that think their lives are over at age 30.

Old 04-17-2014, 12:05 PM

8,612 posts, read 8,307,947 times
"If I had known I was going to live this long I would have treated my body like a temple, not a pool hall."

(I forgot who said it, Carlin maybe?)

Old 04-17-2014, 12:15 PM

1,844 posts, read 1,945,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
The person who coined the expression "Your only as old as the women you feel", should be happy to know I turned 33 last month!
Yes, totally agree

oh well, one time I was in a CVS and a lady next to me was buying anti-wrinkle cream and was asking me if I ever used that brand. She was way younger than me. In that moment I realized that at my age - i was 38 - i never bought anything like that and I always considered myself young. From that mom on I realized I wasnt that young anymore, although to this day I dont have any wrinkles. but thats good genetics; it runs in the family
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or