U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 12:33 PM

688 posts, read 864,694 times

Advertisements

i don't really think of myself as old, even now at almost 71. for many years, i thought of myself as about 37, though not that for many years now. i'd say currently, i think of myself as about 55-57. these ages are a reflection of how i see myself; i've never told anyone i was younger than i was. i see no point in lying about age.

my own feeling is that those people- specifically women- who don't have children, and don't have any roles- mother, grandmother- by which to define themselves, might tend to think of themselves as younger. i base that on nothing but observation and friends who are without children and those who have adult children and grandchildren. i think in my case there might be some truth in that- for others??. i don't know.

catsy girl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:15 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,554,924 times
When any doctor I went to seemed to be too young to know what they were doing. Coupled with my hairdresser's conversation boring me out of my mind.

Old 04-17-2014, 09:32 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,402,696 times
if I decide to return to the work force I have to figure out how to get through the work day without a nap.

Old 04-18-2014, 10:55 AM

1,925 posts, read 989,645 times
I thought of myself as "young" and healthy until I was in my early 50's. I could still do anything. Then a chronic illness appeared and knocked me flat. I couldn't slow down regardless. My husband died of leukemia when I was in my early 60's after a twenty year endless round of treatment and the side effects that followed. After his passing, I dealt with a lifetime of stuff, sold our home and moved to my present location.

I planned to have a life again once I got rested up. I looked at myself one morning and realized that I wasn't just tired..... I was old.

Old 04-18-2014, 11:42 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 766,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exit82 View Post
if I decide to return to the work force I have to figure out how to get through the work day without a nap.
Don't try to fight it. Every now and then I look at my monitors and the screens are full of nothing but the number 4 like this 444444444444444444444444444444444444444444444 . . . .

It's then I realize I started nodding with my fingers on the keyboard again.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:00 PM

177 posts, read 194,152 times
I'm 51. Within the past couple of months one older guy at my gym asked me if I was retired yet or still working and a helpful waiter at Dennys asked if I was 55 yet as that would allow me some discount. (Also, my little brother's nickname at his work place is grandpa. I think that makes both of us feel old). Still doing OK healthwise but my feet always seem to hurt.

Old 04-18-2014, 12:47 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,525,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
my own feeling is that those people- specifically women- who don't have children, and don't have any roles- mother, grandmother- by which to define themselves, might tend to think of themselves as younger. i base that on nothing but observation and friends who are without children and those who have adult children and grandchildren. i think in my case there might be some truth in that- for others??. i don't know.

catsy girl
I agree with your observation. I'm 58 and never had children and do tend to think of myself as younger. Of course, I'm the "short cute type" and have always looked younger than my age. I see my friends with children starting to turn into the matriarch of the family as they become grandparents - partly because some of them have their adult children and grandchildren living with them. Also people say that having children ages you while others say that being around young people keeps you young.

Last edited by ABQ2015; 04-18-2014 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: too mean spirited so toned it down

Old 04-18-2014, 07:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 2,791,793 times
It's sort of ruined my day the day I got an invitation to join AARP.

Otherwise, I don't seem to have the problem. Even though I'm 62, I still feel like I'm 27. Sometimes, that's problematic, though. Some of my friends don't seem to have the energy they used to have, while I'm ready to go. For example, sometime next year I'm going to take the Mt. Everest base camp trek. None of my friends seem interested.

Old 04-18-2014, 07:58 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
When we first installed grab bars in the bathroom.

Old 04-18-2014, 08:05 PM

26,111 posts, read 28,506,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emigrations View Post
I'm not a retiree, but I've had some recent events remind me that I'm not as young as I feel or once was. What events caused you to realize that time is passing and you aren't so young?

For me, it's been like this.

1) Great aunts and uncles are all but gone. My grandmother's side started with ten, now down to three. The other set of great aunts and uncles are probably 60% deceased. My own grandparents are pushing 80.

2) My parents helped me move this weekend and they asked tonight if I had been to the gym lately. I remember my dad got me my first gym membership when I was 14...in 2000. He was 42 then, 56 today, and in fourteen more years, will be seventy.

3) My first girlfriend out of high school was 35 then and had an eight year old at the time. That girl turns 18 next month.

4) I'm closer to 30 than 25.

When did you know you just weren't so young anymore?
It hit me on my 35th birthday that I wasn't really "young" anymore and that there is a certain window of time for certain opportunities...and if you miss that window, you miss it and there's nothing you can do about it. I was completely clueless of this concept in my 20s. It started coming into focus for me at 28, but only vaguely. It hit me like a ton of bricks at 35, because of some relationship problems I was having.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or