Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM

30,888 posts, read 36,926,514 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
my own feeling is that those people- specifically women- who don't have children, and don't have any roles- mother, grandmother- by which to define themselves, might tend to think of themselves as younger. i base that on nothing but observation and friends who are without children and those who have adult children and grandchildren. i think in my case there might be some truth in that- for others??. i don't know.
I noticed this with an older gay male friend of mine (with no kids) who's his late 50s. He's always talking about how he doesn't feel old, blah, blah, blah. Likes to talk about how people mistake him for younger than he is. I think he looks his age, personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2014, 08:25 PM

306 posts, read 416,091 times
When I went to jump on the back of the grocery cart to ride it out into the parking lot and realized:

1. I was not that flexible anymore

2. I have a bit more to me than 30 years ago and the weight on the back would just flip the cart.

Sad, sad day. Unfortunately I still catch myself thinking of doing it on occasion, and I'm really hoping I don't forget this, or I do it without witnesses

Old 04-19-2014, 06:29 AM

12,057 posts, read 10,257,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
When I was in my 30's at university, I used to sit on the floor doing homework. A decade or so later, I had trouble getting up from the floor after doing some paperwork - that's when I started feeling physically old. Mentally/emotionally, I was born old!
That was it for me! I had a hard time getting up off of the floor and I'm not overweight or have/ had any physical impairments.

It was the strangest thing.

Old 04-19-2014, 06:35 AM

1,690 posts, read 2,058,772 times
Basically if you are older than 30, you are NOT young anymore. It's the end of that you are starting out in life ...that's done

If you haven't found yourself by then, you should realize you failed somewhere down the path

If you are single after 30, please please please leave the 18-21-year old group alone because that would be robbing the cradle and should warrant lifelong arrests. You have maxed out basically

You need to get used to gray hair wrinkles and women with lots of experience, and leave the cute 20-year old girls who are more academia-thinking and haven't got their hands dirty ...you don't go anywhere near them

You need to be looking instead at girls who look more like "I love Lucy" and gray wrinkly

*sarcasm post*

Old 04-19-2014, 08:42 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,898,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
That was it for me! I had a hard time getting up off of the floor and I'm not overweight or have/ had any physical impairments.

It was the strangest thing.
I've noticed this at work more than anything else. When people have 'stuff' on the bottom of their shopping carts that I have to get down to scan I can usually 'jump back up' but sometimes not so fast!

Old 04-19-2014, 10:37 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,422,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS39 View Post
Basically if you are older than 30, you are NOT young anymore. It's the end of that you are starting out in life ...that's done

If you haven't found yourself by then, you should realize you failed somewhere down the path

::: snipped :::

*sarcasm post*
Most of the fun in my life happened when I was lost

Old 04-19-2014, 10:42 AM

1,107 posts, read 2,277,460 times
speaking of being lost, when i really noticed i wasnt young any more was when i drove to work one day, got half way there (12 miles) and realized that a church service was on the radio!! Oops, it was Sunday!! Turned around and went back home. Told my family I went out for coffee, LOL!!!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:21 PM

17,701 posts, read 29,780,972 times
Default December 2013

"Congratulations. You have colon cancer".

Old 04-23-2014, 06:36 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,251,231 times
When people started looking blank when I mentioned Jack Benny. Really! It wasn't that long ago! And he was "only 39". Remember? :-)

Old 04-23-2014, 09:28 AM

6,354 posts, read 7,753,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonbirder View Post
When I went to jump on the back of the grocery cart to ride it out into the parking lot and realized:

1. I was not that flexible anymore

2. I have a bit more to me than 30 years ago and the weight on the back would just flip the cart.

Sad, sad day. Unfortunately I still catch myself thinking of doing it on occasion, and I'm really hoping I don't forget this, or I do it without witnesses
Nah, nah. You just haven't discovered the 'secret' yet. At 62, I still ride shopping carts. What you have to do first is make sure you have a good cart that will roll straight without you having to constantly steer it. Then, feet on the back lower rack, spread apart as far as possible, and . . . this part is the key . . . place your hands as far forward as you can on either side of the basket and make sure the bulk of your weight is just forward of the rear wheels. Ya gotta lean over real far.

With that method, just give a mighty one or two step push . . . hop on . . . and ride the cart halfway to your car.

The hard part that I haven't quite figured out yet is how to lean my body weight side-to-side so that I can get the silly thing to steer in the direction I want to go. Usually, I have to put one foot down to rotate the cart in the direction I want to go, (good time to get in an extra 'power' push).

Never give up riding shopping carts. Not only is it fun, but people will comment with disgust on how foolish us oldsters look when trying to act like kids.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement