U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:23 PM

851 posts, read 851,467 times

Advertisements

Be a mentor/volunteer with a student robotics group at your local school? Besides engineering/construction/software, many teams can use help with PR, business planning, project management, organizational planning, sponsorship/fundraising.

VEX Robotics - VEX Robotics
USFIRST.org

On the way less serious side:
Become a "bathing suit inspector" - you can even buy "official" t-shirts, hats and badges! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 01:28 PM

8,762 posts, read 7,693,193 times
Don't have to give up on cycling just cause its a city. It helps to do a little research. Many cities are near parks that have bike trails, and some cities have specifically designated bike lanes. Its also pretty social, as there are group rides that these folks do, sometimes weekly and sometimes more often.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:27 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,458,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
There are bicycle riding groups. That would be pretty cheap. $400 or so bike and you're in business...
As an avid cyclist, I'd like to give my perspective. Bicycles, like most things in life these days, is one of those 'you get what you paid for' things. Depending on what type of riding you intend to do, $400 won't get you very far, or might be good enough. For casual rides, at a slower speed, say 8mph or slower, of short duration, maybe an hour or so, and 10-15 miles, then a $400 bike will be fine.

But if you are like me, one who goes out for hours at a time and rides many miles, a $400 bike would be a killer. Every birthday, I ride twice my age in miles and triple my age in kilometers. That means that this coming August, on a Saturday within a week of my birthday, that I'll be riding 126 miles. Something like this will take me pretty much all day. My typical rides are 40 miles or so with the occasional metric century once a month, (63 miles), and a few imperial centuries, (100 miles), a couple times a year.

Of my fleet of bikes, the least expensive one that I would use to ride a century cost me $3060. The bike itself was $2,500, but to that I needed to add pedals, a different crank, correctly sized handlebars and a shorter stem.

Serious cycling is not an inexpensive activity. My most expensive bike is worth more than my automobile. And don't forget, besides the bike, you'll need a helmet, front and rear strobe lights, (for safety), cycling shoes, and a 'kit', (jersey, bibs, socks, and gloves). You could certainly have fun and enjoy the environment on a low-cost bicycle, and many do, but for hard-core riding, you'll need to up your budget.

Not trying to discourage anyone from cycling. All cyclist wish that everyone would ride, be it a little or be it a lot. Almost all cyclist are very supportive and helpful to each other. I'm just trying to give a realistic picture of what to expect. I ride mostly for the health benefits, as well as the adventure of seeing new places at a slower pace than a car.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,418,663 times
I'd want more than one hobby. Variety is the spice of life.
Photography in the digital age is as cheap or as expensive hobby as you want it to be. You can share your photos on forums like this or other forums, or even get involved in a website where you can sell your photos. It's a good excuse to get out and about with a purpose.
I agree on the volunteering too. Helping others or animals is very rewarding. My retired friends have volunteered on building projects, at the hospital, as Master gardeners, and all have enjoyed getting out, meeting and helping people and recomend it highly.
Not a hobby, but some people get part time jobs working at something they love. A friend retired and worked partvtime at a golf course. He loved running equipment, dealing with people and just being outdoors. He got paid and free golf too!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:31 PM

55,647 posts, read 74,585,953 times
Art music and dance

Old 04-16-2014, 07:30 PM

19,823 posts, read 18,832,665 times
Also, volunteer in your town. Maybe they are having a celebration and need people to do things, maybe the seniors need someone to drive them to appointments or deliver meals, the library and the historical society usually need helpers. Towns have all sorts of boards that ask for volunteers to do things.

I found a few volunteer opportunities by watching the town cable tv channel--one retired man was begging for help repairing the stones in the historic abandoned cemetery. He started doing it all on his own and there's a lot to be done. It's good--you're outside, you're with a few other people, you're making a worthwhile contribution.

Golf. My husband had to leave an expensive set of golf clubs back in the UK. But he found fantastic new ones here in thrift stores for next to nothing. Then he found a few millionaires who wanted golf buddies. They all belong to more than one country club and they call him up and off he goes! For free. They fight over his "magic" putter, not knowing that it came from the thrift store.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
Thanks again for all you suggestions.
Wow volosong - I am incredibly impressed with your cycling. Great going.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:07 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
See if there is a bocce club. That would be a social and sporting past time. There seems to be more bocce players in warmer areas.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:32 PM

13,643 posts, read 8,559,902 times
I go days without leaving the house. Then we'll go out of town for a few days.

That's the way I like it. My wife does all the social stuff with playing bridge, book clubs, Girls Lunch Out and on and on. But not me.
I have become (proudly!) the Curator of Our Home. I take care of everything: landscaping, painting lawn furniture, I painted the outside of the house, I take care of all the dishes (since I don't cook), mop the floors, wash both cars, I make the bed in the mornings, and generally make sure things are taken care of.

I walk 2 miles a day and stretch daily. And I work out the sudoku puzzle every day.

I study the things I get interested in.

I am more of a retired salesman than anything else, but, curiously, I have no interest in social activities just for their own sake.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:52 AM

18,348 posts, read 23,510,540 times
i like golf, and it can be expensive-but it depends where you go,,some courses are much cheaper than others..

i love board games,,so im sure their are scrabble and chess clubs around..

volunteer at a womans/kids abuse shelter,,, a couple days a week ( boredom will be less of a concern when you see the hell some folks are living,, and you will feel good about helping...)

id be swimming- working out at a health club, walking,,,lots of walking clubs,,
boating, canoe-ing, kayaking.. fishing

i like nature,,,id be having some atv's and riding them in the woods--
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement