U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 04:55 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,603,435 times

Advertisements

It is important to have a balance of social activities in later life. Please do not rely on your wife or children if you have any for 100% of your social interactions. This comes from a base of personal knowledge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 06:23 AM

241 posts, read 226,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetana3 View Post
It is important to have a balance of social activities in later life. Please do not rely on your wife or children if you have any for 100% of your social interactions. This comes from a base of personal knowledge.
That comment makes a lot of sense to me.........................

Old 04-17-2014, 06:42 AM

4,103 posts, read 4,274,812 times
Well Im no where near retired but I just took up carpentry, furniture making to be exact. Its VERY challenging when you get into bending wood and routing. And its very rewarding to see your final product.

Old 04-17-2014, 07:15 AM

2,003 posts, read 2,018,109 times
I have heard that there's a TON of money to be made as a moderator here on City Data---NOT!!!

Old 04-17-2014, 11:17 AM

19,838 posts, read 18,851,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
I have heard that there's a TON of money to be made as a moderator here on City Data---NOT!!!

lol. Yep, it's quite lucrative. Not.

Old 04-17-2014, 11:19 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,183,204 times
Most cities and towns are desperate for people to sit on the local boards: park board, library board, planning commission, water and light board, and etc. (depends on what there is in your area). Contact the government entity of the area where you will be moving and ask if there are any vacant board positions.

Here's what I've done, and as others have said, I'm already too busy.

- Became active in the local branch of my political party. Many more Americans need to be involved at the grass roots level, whatever your point of view.

- Volunteer for an animal rescue group.

- Volunteer at the local museum/historical society/tourist destination.

- Volunteer to help with all of the local special events or for things that make money for the local special events. Pancake breakfast; Cookie walk; Art festival; 4th of July; etc. To find out about what was needed I just showed up at a city council meeting and introduced myself and told everyone that I was willing to volunteer for anything needed.

- Take an exercise class (very socially bonding!)

- Just take walks around town and visit with the people you meet!

Old 04-17-2014, 02:27 PM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
What do you do now solo in your spare time? Take that interest and figure out how you can meet others doing it.

Do you read? You could join a book discussion group. Some have a social component like going out to lunch/dinner after you meet or pot luck if it's in someone's home.

If you garden, you could join a gardening club.

If you feed the birds, you might want to join a birdwatching group.

Do you like arts and crafts, take other arts and crafts type classes to discover what else might interest you.

If you fish, you could join a fishing club.

Photography clubs are usually open to beginners as well as serious hobbyists. They typically have guest speakers, competitions, field trips, annual dinners.

If you like team sports, join a booster club.

If you like history, maybe you could join some club where you get to dress in period costume the day of their living history events.

Do you like politics? Help with a campaign or join the League of Women Voters.

Do you have State and/or National Parks in the area? The rangers from those parks usually run programs you can participate in. Take a look at their websites.

Pick up the current travel and tourism book for your location. You can find it on their website and discover what events are scheduled for the year that might interest you. Examples: Antiques Fair, Old cars, cultural festivals, air shows, marathons, street painting (actually colored chalk), opera or bluegrass in the park, etc.

Read the local newspaper and look for shout outs for volunteers for a one time community event. The good part about that kind of volunteering is if you don't like it, your part is over when the event is over. You could be handing out water at races, manning the information booth at some festival, lining up parade participants in a corral area, selling tickets or tee shirts the day of the event, showing people to their seats at some one-time music event or show, etc.

Take classes with other retirees.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:56 PM

983 posts, read 2,177,382 times
Great thread..

I am not retired yet, but really looking forward to it, so here is what I would like to do with my day/time

1. Wake up when I want to not when I have to :-) and enjoy a long breakfast while reading my paper (on kindle)
2. Go for walks and talk to the neighbors that I never see
3. Cook some good food and share it with friends
4. Join couple book clubs with different people
5. Learn couple new languages
6. Work on my garden
7. Sign up for Master Gardner classes
8. Travel, Travel and Travel
9. Spend time with my family and friends
10.. gosh my list is so long..

Maybe that's where you could start.. make a list of all the things you want to do every day and you can't because you are busy working. You will be surprised how long this list could be and you can start with some of it. You said you will be moving to a new area, so maybe exploring that area and figuring out where to live will help you figure out the available activities in that area.
best of luck..

Old 04-17-2014, 04:54 PM

25,013 posts, read 23,908,277 times
Letterboxing. You can pick up a letterbox roadside, or hike hike for hours to find one. Some of the clues are straightforward, and others rather cryptic. There are day events and camping or destination weekends. It's the most fun you can have without... Well, you fill in the blank.

Letterboxing North America

Atlas Quest: A Letterboxing Community

Old 04-18-2014, 11:02 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,987,654 times
Here are the things that I like to do now that I am retired:

1) Walks in the desert.
2) Volunteer at the Postal History Institute.
3) Cook for some of the local churches.
4) Spend one day a week at the library (my wife needs a day off).
5) Play bocce a couple of times a week.
6) Travel all over the country.
8) Independent and foreign cinema.

Here are some of the things I am looking to do once I get moved:

1) Volunteer in literacy programs.
2) Learn Spanish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement