U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 08:33 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,077,208 times

Advertisements

Genealogy had long been a hobby of mine and after retirement I'm able to devote much more time to it. DH waited until he retired to take it up and I've enjoyed helping him with his research and organization.

Lots of good travel opportunities in it; we take day trips to nearby communities to do courthouse research, photograph gravesites*, etc. We take longer trips (up to 2 weeks) to distant places to do to do the same. Both type trips require meticulous planning so we don't waste time. (*We also take and post pics for others on findagrave.com)

It's also social and educational since we attend meetings and lectures, most of which are history themed.

I completed but didn't submit the documentation for membership in Sons/Daughters of the American Revolution and Daughters of the Republic of Texas. My experience with the organizations is they're stuffy and elitist so I don't care to associate with them, but I enjoyed the challenge of meeting the membership requirements.

Last edited by biscuitmom; 04-19-2014 at 08:42 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2014, 04:55 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,759,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
Thanks for you suggestions - I guess I should have been a little more specific, I am looking for hobbies that are social in nature....
You say you already volunteer with special needs children. If this is in a school setting it means you are already familiar with schools. It seems to me so many organizations utilize volunteers:

schools
libraries
hospitals
state and national parks
police and fire departments

And it seems to me most of those situations would be "social in nature".

For the past four years I have been reading aloud once a week for 30 minutes to fifth grade classes. I started with one single class but since then have added a second class at that school, then later a second school at which I started with two classes and expanded to four, making a total of six classes per week at the present time. For me it's been self- reinforcing because of the positive feedback I get from students and their teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement