U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:18 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times

Advertisements

Retirement is still a couple of years off, but I am worried about filling my days once it happens. I will be moving to a warm weather area. I want to take up golf again (haven't played in years) but I am a little concerned about the cost.
I know I will volunteer at least one day a week (I currently volunteer with special needs kids). What hobbies do you suggest for a fairly active person that are low cost, but intellectually challenging?
Ideally it would be something I could start now and continue into my retirement years. I have mild arthritis in my left hand, so I don't think knitting or a similar activity will work well for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 09:45 AM

6,267 posts, read 4,740,348 times
I cannot help directly. This is an issue which is all but unbelievable to me. I have always had way more interests than time.

Even retired, I do not have time for all my hobbies, activities, and goals. RV travel is towards the top of my list. I spend very little on this hobby and have averaged about $7/night for camping sites. Photography is also towards the top of my activities. I have also taken adult ed classes through the local OLLI program. If I had time I would like to do some fishing and woodworking. For a while I did competitive archery but ran out of time. I am interested in history, science and technology but rarely have time for reading and study. I never had time for the arts. So for the past year I have been studying painting and other fine arts. I visit the NYC museums but you could become a member of the SF MOMA for very little money.

So far I have just mentioned interests and casual hobbies. What do you want to accomplish with the rest of your life???? Certainly there has to be more than knitting and playing golf once in a while? Have your written a book? Become an expert at something? Have you taught others? Made any special contribution to the world? We can't do it all but we can at least try.

Old 04-16-2014, 09:49 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,608,178 times
My husband works with our local Habitat for Humanity. Our group is big with 50 semi permanent retirees who do all kinds of things year round. He also works with a local group that builds ramps for those who need them and cannot afford them.

It is really hard to recommend a hobby/interest since it is very personal. I make quilts for charities and gifts for a hobby.

Old 04-16-2014, 10:12 AM

2,172 posts, read 2,085,764 times
I'm like others in that I already have a list of hobbies and activities that I don't have time to pursue as much as I'd like. We're looking forward to having more time for these things when we retire in a few years:

Reading
Woodworking
Photography
Hiking
Bike riding
Cooking
Gardening
Shooting
Amateur radio
Raising chickens
Fishing

Most of these are things we do already, just not as often as we like. Some are mentally stimulating, some are physically stimulating.

I like the suggestion of getting involved with a local Habitat for Humanity group - it's a worthwhile endeavor, and to me the rewards of building things are both immediate and significant.

Dave

Old 04-16-2014, 10:30 AM

8,795 posts, read 7,712,915 times
There are bicycle riding groups. That would be pretty cheap. $400 or so bike and you'rr in business. Golf on the other hand, can get expensive. Clubs, green fees and all the lost balls. Plus most people ride a cart anymore, so there are the cart rental fees also. I gave it up several years ago. However, all hobbies cost money. I would recommend you find one. Me, I ride motorcycles.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:15 AM

1,499 posts, read 1,191,335 times
Thanks for you suggestions - I guess I should have been a little more specific, I am looking for hobbies that are social in nature. I do have family where I will be living, but will need a wider social circle.
Photography sounds interesting since in this age of digital you no longer need to deal with the processing costs. Maybe I could find a photography club. I doubt that I have the talent for painting, but could always give it a try (fyi I'm more of a de Young fan than SF MOMA)
I like the idea of cycling, here in the city it's almost a death wish to cycle.
Habitat sounds like fun too, I do know how to do basic wiring and plumping.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM

381 posts, read 352,836 times
I volunteer with nature centers....social network. Hobby is bird watching. You can do that alone or with one or more people. Birdwatchers travel locally and around the world....instant planned trips and travel companions. I do not have the funds to travel but I invested in several binoculars and will never have to replace them. I have attended lectures and have led groups for walks, have taught children, or you can be a resource for fellow trail hikers. There are birding festivals held all over the country during the spring and fall. You can help count migrating hawks along the coasts. Much variety to the activities. Very little expense, outdoors, and you definitely meet people and YOU LEARN more each day.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:43 AM

13,321 posts, read 25,574,131 times
Hiking clubs for over 50s (so you're not in with gung-ho 20-somethings). Look for meet up groups,especially any specifically for older people (again, usually considered to be over 50 or so). I also like the OLLI courses that I've seen listed, and they often have a one-day workshop or day-long travel trip somewhere interesting.

Old 04-16-2014, 12:41 PM

5,917 posts, read 6,723,049 times
Volunteer at an animal shelter.

Volunteer at a not for profit thrift store.

Play cards with your buddies.

Fly fishing. Cost you maybe $1,000 for everything.....not even....and you can spend hours with friends, or alone, chasing fish.

Gardening. Roses to simple veggies.

Birding.

Join the local historical society.

Hang out on City Data...

Old 04-16-2014, 01:19 PM

2,007 posts, read 2,020,158 times
See if your Department of Natural Resources (or whatever your state/province calls it) has something called a "Master Naturalist" or "Master Gardener" program. I'm a certified Master Naturalist and in my state, I've volunteered at events such as Eagle Days manning spotting scopes for the public to view eagle nests, etc. It was a huge opportunity to meet like-minded people and work with the public on various nature-related projects. Big fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement