U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:40 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,285,563 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
All this technology may be appropriate but what makes me feel old is a attractive woman under forty.
Forty? When I see an attractive woman under SIXTY I feel that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 09:34 AM

6,075 posts, read 9,543,766 times
We have a pile of LPs and an even bigger pile of casettes. DH transferred them all over to our storage external drive, so we can take the music with us when we travel. He's now thinking of selling off the LPs and our turntable, because we're both now thinking of of having a huge clear-out (too much stuff!!!). I dunno though ... I might insist on keeping my LP of Alice's Restaurant, just for nostalgia's sake.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:04 PM

3,021 posts, read 5,024,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Walkman? 8 tracks? When I was a kid I built a crystal set, records had one song per side and broke if you dropped them, and radios took a couple of minutes to warm up the vacumn tubes and play after you turned them on.

I joke with my wife that flatscreen TVs now take as long to come on as console TVs did in the 60s. I remember when "Instant On' TVs were the coming out. Now we have regressed.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM

983 posts, read 2,179,612 times
NEVER .. even when I see my little niece figuring out the iPad games faster than me ;-)

Old 04-17-2014, 04:09 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,212,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those LPs are still good! Don't get rid of them. You are on a computer, so you are obviously computer savvy. What you can do is purchase a USB turntable. They are only about a hundred bucks, give or take. What you do is plug it into your computer...kick off an audio recording program, (there are a lot of free ones out there, I'm partial to Audacity)...and play the LP while it is recorded to an audio track on your computer.

You can play the whole side, or track-by-track. I just let the whole side play, then afterward, use Audacity to break them up into different tracks/files. From there, you can play them through your computer...upload them to your iPhone, iPad, iTouch, or any other portable audio player...or even burn an audio CD and play them in a car or home audio system.

I've picked up more than one album from a garage sale because the seller didn't have a way of playing them anymore and figured nobody else did either. Got them for a 'song and a dance'...well, almost.

p.s. I'm also converting/digitizing my cassette library using my high-end Sony dual cassette, home audio player hooked up to one of my netbook computers. Same process as above, just different play equipment.
Excellent advice! I thought I was pretty savvy but I had no idea there were USB turntables. Thank you so much for sharing this info. :-)

Old 04-18-2014, 04:34 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,426,259 times
I may be technologically savvy enough to play CD's but I do it through a good amplifier and floor speakers with 14" bass speakers. I do not bother taking music with me except for a few CD's for long drives. Listening to Edgar Froese's "Beyond the Storm" during a long night drive is really neat.

The frustration is I do not feel as old as my body has become.

Old 04-18-2014, 06:27 AM

36,485 posts, read 43,827,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The frustration is I do not feel as old as my body has become.
I think most of us can relate. Sometimes I pass a mirror and am literally shocked! Who is that fat old woman with silver hair? Where is the trim happy sexy woman who used to host this brain?"

Old 04-18-2014, 08:23 AM

126 posts, read 138,245 times
I have a mint condition Sony Watchman they can check out, too. The digital to analog converter is bigger than the Watchman!

Old 04-21-2014, 12:03 AM

7,953 posts, read 5,055,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
If someone in 1980 heard an ipod music player, they would be like "why does this sound like ****, you can't hear all the music?" Truth is today's music is compressed, and you don't get the all sonic fidelity that you use to get with analog music. It's convenient but that's about it!

When it comes to music, I want to hear it all.
Exactly! Even compact-disks are compressed. MP3s are an abject travesty. For most of the 20th century, up until around 1980, the emphasis was on ever better reproduction of sound... on recording-quality, on good playback components. Then the emphasis shifted to convenience and miniaturization. Who buys a dedicated pre-amp and power-amp anymore (analog or digital, for that matter)?

Old 04-21-2014, 10:35 AM

8,624 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happehart View Post
NEVER .. even when I see my little niece figuring out the iPad games faster than me ;-)
I 'almost' wish I'd grown up with some of the tech stuff we have now. I bought a 'smart phone' and I hate it. I'm trying to learn it and make it do things MY way but it doesn't want to cooperate. lol I see really little kids, like 3 years old, playing with their parents phones, playing games and just whipping right along. Now THAT makes me feel like a dummy! I saw a good one yesterday. A baby, less than a year old, was having a FIT because his mom wouldn't let him have her phone to play with. I figure by the time he's two he'll be 'expert'. lol

I like watching young kids operate the self checkout scanners at my store. They are GOOD and so much better/faster than the adults using them. I bet they don't know what 8 tracks are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement