U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,277,317 times

Advertisements

Have you seen a recent photograph of yourself? Ouch, talk about feeling old. Last month was at a dinner, and pictures were taken of us sitting at a table with friends. Was given a couple of them a few days ago. My first impression of them was "Who is that old man sitting there?" Hey wait, that's ME.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2014, 09:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Have you seen a recent photograph of yourself? Ouch, talk about feeling old. Last month was at a dinner, and pictures were taken of us sitting at a table with friends. Was given a couple of them a few days ago. My first impression of them was "Who is that old man sitting there?" Hey wait, that's ME.
Gads, you just had to bring that up! lol I have never been particularly photogenic anyway and the older I get the more adept I am at avoiding ALL cameras! My Facebook page has a black space where my pic ought to be. Friends tell me I should post a pic but I tell them that one is the BEST I've had taken. lol

Old 04-23-2014, 06:32 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,925,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I still have a box of them, and a closet full of LPs, but nothing to play any of them. My kids grew up with Walkmen, but the grandkids are using Ipads at age 2.
The last time I was at a Best Buy store, the clerk showed me a line of their new LP players. If you just want to play your LPS without all that re-recording, you might see what they have.

Me? I am still using a GE record player that I bought many decades ago. It works just fine. It plays 78s, 45s and one other size that I can't name right now. Too lazy to go look.

Although I never do it, this player will hold and play a stack of LPs, one after another without having to change any. I never use this feature because I am not sure they do not rub against each other. It also has an automatic repeat function. Sounds like we were pretty modern back then?

I protect my old LPs. They sound much better than CDs, I think. Better tonal quality.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:18 AM

3,730 posts, read 5,277,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel W View Post
The last time I was at a Best Buy store, the clerk showed me a line of their new LP players. If you just want to play your LPS without all that re-recording, you might see what they have.

Me? I am still using a GE record player that I bought many decades ago. It works just fine. It plays 78s, 45s and one other size that I can't name right now. Too lazy to go look.
Am a little fuzzy on this, but isn't there a player on the market with a nostalgia look and design that plays just about everything? AM/FM radio, plays all size records, plus cassette tapes and CDs? Vaguely recall seeing a such a device, or something close to it, but the details or where to get it escape me. Have a bunch of LP records and cassettes gathering dust that would like to break out and play. The CDs get played in the car, most often on long trips in remote areas when out of radio range. There is just something about an old, sad country song on those long, lonely road trips.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:25 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,182,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post

Well, do you remember back in 1956, that 9 out of 10 Doctors preferred to smoke Chesterfields! I smoked Pall Malls and Old Golds that yellowed my teeth so I had to use Ipana toothpaste....brusha brusha brusha.....lol

Old 04-23-2014, 08:15 AM

10,321 posts, read 9,369,968 times
Did watching the video make me feel 'really, really old'? No! I still feel very young at heart and have no plans to change that attitude.

Old 04-23-2014, 01:59 PM

2,682 posts, read 2,925,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Am a little fuzzy on this, but isn't there a player on the market with a nostalgia look and design that plays just about everything? AM/FM radio, plays all size records, plus cassette tapes and CDs? Vaguely recall seeing a such a device, or something close to it, but the details or where to get it escape me. Have a bunch of LP records and cassettes gathering dust that would like to break out and play. The CDs get played in the car, most often on long trips in remote areas when out of radio range. There is just something about an old, sad country song on those long, lonely road trips.
I have seen it advertised -- yes. No idea how it does. I gave my LPs away to a music major student. Also some of my LPs but kept my favorites.

The old, sad country songs are good music but I don't like to listen to them much. They are depressing.

Old 04-24-2014, 06:52 AM

895 posts, read 927,618 times
better old than dead or never been born. i love life too much even though i am not well-to-do. thank GOODNESS for the ipod/smartphone. i HATE moving parts and love consolidation. oh, and i have not bought music since 1996. here's my middle finger to the record companies who charge ripoff prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement