U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2007, 01:13 PM

28,205 posts, read 47,602,006 times

Advertisements

A move to another country may make economic sense, especially for seniors who don't have enough savings to live in retirement without a dramatic cut in lifestyle.

Several years ago a Dallas couple approaching retirement disappeared. Well-known on the charitable-event circuit, the couple were in Dallas one day and gone the next. Phone disconnected. No forwarding address. No working cell-phone number.

Retirees make a run for the border - MSN Money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2007, 09:50 PM

16,248 posts, read 21,315,660 times
I wouldn't go to Mexico. There are lots of smaller towns in the USA where you can buy a double wide and a piece of land cheap and live out your life with some enjoyment.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:08 AM

13,315 posts, read 25,550,246 times
That would be my preference, but then, I don't seek warmer weather. I could be happy in a small apartment in a nice town. With Internet and Amazon and such, you don't have to feel isolated anywhere.
I gather the areas outside the U.S. that are popular with U.S.ians are getting quite expensive, and it's only real cheap if you live with local people and on their economy, which might not be appealing in older age.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:19 AM

4,834 posts, read 5,547,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
I wouldn't go to Mexico. There are lots of smaller towns in the USA where you can buy a double wide and a piece of land cheap and live out your life with some enjoyment.
I fully agree!....good post!

Do those retirees who move to Mexico and other places really think their new home will be better? It seems that only retirees with $$$ can make that move as they can live in places where the locals can't and don't have to be pestered with the lower to middle class problems in those countries?

Folks who don't plan ahead for retirement get little sympathy from me (except those who have hit serious hardship, health problems, etc).

My Wife and I worked hard all our lives and planned ahead when we were in our 20s. Now that we are retired here in good old NC we are happily enjoying our retirement years...and we don't have to pinch and scrape to get by. The other thing is to live your life within your means and not above as debt piles up and is almost impossible to pay off once it gets to certain levels due to the exorbitant interest rates and penalties. We use a debit card, thus spend only our own money.

Old 12-15-2007, 11:52 AM

16,248 posts, read 21,315,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikey_NC View Post
I fully agree!....good post!

Do those retirees who move to Mexico and other places really think their new home will be better? It seems that only retirees with $$$ can make that move as they can live in places where the locals can't and don't have to be pestered with the lower to middle class problems in those countries?

Folks who don't plan ahead for retirement get little sympathy from me (except those who have hit serious hardship, health problems, etc).

My Wife and I worked hard all our lives and planned ahead when we were in our 20s. Now that we are retired here in good old NC we are happily enjoying our retirement years...and we don't have to pinch and scrape to get by. The other thing is to live your life within your means and not above as debt piles up and is almost impossible to pay off once it gets to certain levels due to the exorbitant interest rates and penalties. We use a debit card, thus spend only our own money.
I have saved some money but that does not mean I cannot go back to Salina Kansas if I want and live our life there. It is cheap, safe and friendly and, even though it does not have great weather all year, it is good nuff for me not to have to get out in the really nasty days.

Old 12-15-2007, 02:18 PM

55 posts, read 192,934 times
You have to be adventurous if you want to successfully retire out of the country. One of the smartest people i have heard on this subject said on the Diane Rehm show that the people he's seen who are happiest don't move abroad for the money, but instead do it for the lifestyle.

I completely agree - some people really enjoy experiencing a different culture. If you are one of them, go for it! Costa Rica is great, and lots of people love Panama, Mexico. If you have more money, Ireland and Spain are terrific. If money is driving your decision, get creative about reducing your expenses and stay here in the states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or