U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 02:23 PM

3 posts, read 19,833 times

Advertisements

Has anyone looked at top of the world?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 08:06 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,696,248 times
Smile The Villages...

Quote:
Originally Posted by A300 View Post
Has anyone looked at top of the world?
Where is Top of the World?

Also, we live in Florida (south) and are thinking future/second home for now/check out area, etc. If I ever was alone and since I have vision problems, I need to able to walk and most likely, I would need to continue to work.

Are there other communities like The Villages in other states? (No further north than North Carolina or east of Tennessee).

I know a lot depends on where our children end up - we have a few years on that.

Thanks for suggestions (We are looking at Cary, NC, Greenville, SC and outside of Atlanta).

Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 AM

3,752 posts, read 9,605,753 times
I think to find anything even close to the size of the Villages, you would have to look at Arizona and the large Sun Cities. There are a lot of age restricted smaller communities with a variety of amenities depending on location.

For example, check out the Del Webb website for the location of each of their communities and if you click on the individual ones, you can get an ideas of size. But I dont think any of them approach the sheer size of the Villages.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:07 AM

55 posts, read 192,977 times
Check out Peachtree City, about 35 miles south of Atlanta. Like The Villages, it has a golf cart-based transportation system, along with tons of activities and facilities. They have all kinds of housing, including retirement communities within it. The place dates back to the late '50's and now has 35,000 residents in its 4 communities.

Last edited by somwhathip; 03-04-2008 at 09:17 AM..

Old 03-04-2008, 08:50 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,826,958 times
There are a few different "Villages" throughout the south, mostly in Arkansas. Hot Springs Village (near Hot Springs, AR) is the best of the Villages, IMO. The Villages in Florida is my second choice.

Old 04-10-2008, 06:30 AM

72 posts, read 364,603 times
I see many inquiries about relocating to The Villages. From my experience, I hear people in The Villages comment how the people there and The Villages as a whole, is really great. However, I also hear much negativity about The Villages "government". Sort of like having a great country, but it's communist! But also keep in mind where the comments are coming from. Is it from year round residents or "snowbirds" (who reside in The Villages during winter months and return home)

Old 04-11-2008, 11:37 AM

41,492 posts, read 51,385,768 times
We visited "The Villages" in Florida for a friend's wedding. My wife and I were horrified at the incredible sameness. Tens of square miles of "Officers Housing" were just way too much conformity. Very nice people but the only bar at the bowling alley/rec hall only served Budweiser products. Predictability is one thing but that was ridiculous.

We plan on retiring to a small southwestern city with a mixed culture and people of all ages. "The Villages" would definitely not be for us. They are way too expensive as well.

Old 04-13-2008, 10:01 AM

2 posts, read 15,163 times
We bought our home in the villages last Dec and we could not be happier! That place continues to sell 300 + homes per month..It is a "closed society" in that the R/E slow down, although affecting it, does not affect it as severe as other places. If you THINK you are interested, I woudl not wait long...They will be out of land and no more building by 2012...We have looked all up and down the east coast for our retirement home and believe me...Look around, you cannot get anyway near your $$ worth in any other retirement place..For $ 130.00 per month, you get...heated swimming pools a 2 minute golf car ride from ANY home , tennis courts, gated community, all the golf you can stand, live entertainment 365 nights per year ,Professiojnal Polo grounds, plays, all restaurants, grocery shopping and regular shoppiong all wihthin a golf cart ride from anyone's home...,and on and on and on....Look around like we did....you'll see...We are ony part time residnets now, we will not retire there for a few years yet, cant wait!

Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM

2,903 posts, read 10,948,543 times
As I've posted a few times before, the Villages is a unique, one of a kind type place.
There is much to like there...I cannot say much negative about it.

Personally, I found it a bit too big, and very busy during the snowbird months. You have to see it to believe how HUGE it is.....it is in three counties.....I know it would be very easy to get lost in there and never find your way out.
The traffic seemed very congested when I was driving through and all around it a year ago last Feb.

There are many other wonderful 55+ gated golf communities around the Villages area. We bought in one of those about 12 miles south of The Villages. We can still visit The Villages for the entertainment, etc, without the much higher HOA and bond fees they pay.

Anyone looking to make the "Big buy" on your retirement home and lifestyle owes it to themselves to look at all of your options.

Frank D.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:20 AM

72 posts, read 364,603 times
GregW, I'd have to agree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or