Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2007, 03:42 PM

15,402 posts, read 28,828,599 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know how the Villages are holding up these days? Or other similar retirement villages in Florida? It seems like Florida has been struck hard by freclosures and property tax woes... makes me wonder how all this affects retirement villages which have so many amenities that are dependent on owner dues and housing assessments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2007, 05:59 AM

4,096 posts, read 11,421,036 times
You can check out Talk of the Villages which is a forum. They are having the same slowdown although foreclosures in a retirement area would not be the norm. Lots of inventory and price reductions on the new homes.

Biggest news is that they cancelled the New Years Eve party on one of the squares due to crowd issues. Kind of funny really.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:07 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,050,152 times
It isn't just property taxes that are hurting housing in FL it is HOI. HOI is so expensive many retired ppl who own their own homes are going without it, just to make ends meet. Very few name insurance companies are writing policies in FL so you have to go with the state insurance company or one of the no name ones that have sprung up.

Old 12-10-2007, 06:26 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,743,437 times
We looked at the villages and were very much impressed. But, Florida summers seem to be getting hotter and longer especially inland. My mother in law is a native Floridian and for the first time ever she is having a tough time dealing with the heat.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:06 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,367,991 times
Friends moved there and enjoy it, they're always busy with activities and trips etc. I believe Joan Hamburg is doing a segment tomorrow AM (Tues) from the Villages on 710 WOR radio, sounds interesting.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:26 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,120,516 times
am a recent retiree and am leaving---hoi,car insurance,medicare supplement insurance,gas,utility bills such as power and cable continue to rise---doctors,because of cutbacks in medicare,are now refusing to take new medicare pts or have you sign a statement that you will cover the difference between what they get from medicare and what they want
last,but not least--some areas r in a near drought situation,and are mixing non desalinated gulf water with reservoir water and warning that this may cause diarrhea in the young and elderly
i could go on with other news,but research carefully and remember that some people are like ostriches and will say come on down--its fine---and maybe it is in the sand where there head is stuck!!

Old 12-15-2007, 02:52 PM

4,096 posts, read 11,421,036 times
Yes, we kind of figured out that we will stay in Indiana. There are problems almost anywhere and here we know what is going on and how to get involved.

The villages, the more that we investigated, are not for us.

Old 12-17-2007, 08:27 PM

4,948 posts, read 18,632,170 times
I went to visit the villages. It sure was crowed with people looking to buy.
A fact sheet I was givien monthly costs are about 950.00 per month. Hoi, the bond fee
they have, taxes utilities, etc., They seem to have alot to do there. I was told spruce creek was nicer, but didnot get to see it. You also need to do your own lawn etc.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:00 AM

1,999 posts, read 10,529,147 times
Don't worry about taxes and HOI at The Villages. Worry about the TORNADO that came thru there last year and tore up so many, many homes! Just destroyed! Look it up! That particular area is tornado prone in Florida.

Old 01-05-2008, 02:17 PM

4 posts, read 24,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TootsieWootsie View Post
Don't worry about taxes and HOI at The Villages. Worry about the TORNADO that came thru there last year and tore up so many, many homes! Just destroyed! Look it up! That particular area is tornado prone in Florida.
That's just crazy talk Tootsie - Do your homework - Tornadoes have been reported in all 50 states except Alaska. Most states do not have the number or severity of twisters as the heartland does (OK, Kansas, etc.). But Florida has had it share of level 1 and 2. (I think the Feb 2007 was officially listed as an F3 which was the strongest on record according to my link).

If you look at the detailed map you'll see that this area of FL is not particularly popular for tornado development.
Try this site: Tornado History Project - Tornado Map

You can zoom in/out to see the details.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement