U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 08:47 AM

8,627 posts, read 9,701,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Y'all kinda sound like us and we do have and use a Food Saver. It allows us to make freezer bags in the size we want and freeze anything at all, keeping them "sound" for months. That's especially handy with leftovers.

There are two of us - both retired - and fortunately, we both love to cook, especially together, including baking our own breads, and more. Thank you KitchenAid stand mixer. I grill A LOT all year-round, we grow many of our own vegetables (grill them too) and have very healthy eating habits.. We eat dinner out maybe once every three or four months and only eat breakfast or lunch out when we're traveling or away from home running errands as we live rurally and shopping can be an adventure. No frozen dinners in this house except for what we freeze that's homemade.

One of the reasons we rarely eat out is because mostly we can cook as well or better than what we find elsewhere so eating out, for us, is a waste of money. We make a large variety of ethnic meals and love experimenting. I guess you could say that cooking is a hobby for both of us and our fairly sizeable and quite well-appointed kitchen supports us in that.
I just bought a Food Saver a couple of months ago and I love it. My first 'project' was 30 pounds of chicken legs/thighs that the church gave to my mom. She gave some to a few neighbors and the rest went into the freezer. I love how easy it is to use.

My ex and I used to cook together a lot and could get quite competitive! lol We came up with some really good things and enjoyed them. Being by myself I'm not that gung ho about it and I'm one of those people who eat to live, not live to eat, so it's just another thing that 'needs to be done'. I do have bread rising right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Yes, I cook meals for one - (me!) A ham slice is more than I want for one meal, so I cut it in half and have a second meal later in the week. Right now, I'm cooking a rutabaga (they take forever) and when I mash it, I'll have half tonight and half later in the week.

I've never learned how to make a "small pot of soup". It's a vat or nothing. Frozen in portions, I have it whenever I want it.

I buy the family pack of chicken, or ground beef, and freeze it in individual packs, just like I do with pork chops. I can thaw one, or more if company is coming by.

I rarely eat out unless I'm going with family. Or at the beach. I rarely eat "fast food". I wish there was another way of getting nourishment that didn't involve pots, pans and other utensils. Well, there is, but I can only eat so many doughnuts.

**The Senior Center thing? I don't think so. I'd have to put up with the Seniors. Last time I went there to pick up a produce certificate, the women looked at me like I was a Martian and the men looked at me like I was - well, never mind.
I can get a large ham slice and make it last four meals. I cook large potatoes/sweet potatoes so they'll last two meals. I don't make that many soups anymore but I don't buy canned soups either. Except for the Cream of _________ that I use in cooking.

I also buy the family packs and freeze individually. So handy and cheaper!

I don't eat out or 'do' the fast food thing. We have a McDonald's where I work but I've never eaten anything from there. An overpriced coffee now and then but that's it.

I had to laugh at the Senior Center thing. I tried going there for a while but came to the conclusion that I have absolutely NOTHING in common with them, except for my age. The women acted like I was out to 'steal' a man. I actually saw two women arguing over which one some man "liked better". Later on the man came in with another woman! Cracked me up. lol

Old 04-21-2014, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Saltbox View Post
ABQ2015, I agree and love everything you do, with one exception: Don't use frozen vegetables. You can zap the exact amount you need in the microwave, and it takes all of two or three minutes. They taste better, they look better, and they give you better nutrition.
I mostly use frozen veggies just for the reason you posted. I don't much like canned veggies, especially peas!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:14 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,247,952 times
Quote:
ABQ2015, I agree and love everything you do, with one exception: Don't use frozen vegetables. You can zap the exact amount you need in the microwave, and it takes all of two or three minutes. They taste better, they look better, and they give you better nutrition.
Have to disagree .

In 1998, the FDA published that there is no difference in nutrition between fresh produce and frozen produce. Because of the nutrients that are lost due to most commercial food production of fresh produce, as well as the nutrients lost during the blanching and reheating processes of frozen food, the nutrient profiles of each are relatively the same.

The main reason I (single cooker) use frozen fruit and vegetables is to reduce spoilage. I just wish celery could be frozen!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:31 AM

6,548 posts, read 7,825,554 times
Quote:
This has been proven wrong again and again. In many instances frozen veggies contain more nutrients than fresh veggies from the produce aisle at the local grocery. Those veggies in the produce aisle are picked prior to full ripeness because they must be shipped. They never fully develop their nutrient profile and lose nutrients as they age during shipping and while in the store.

Frozen veggies are typically picked, packaged and frozen at the peak of ripeness. They contain all of the "good stuff" and lose little to freezing.

The exception to this is if one has access to a garden or fresh-picked farmer's market during the growing season. There is nothing like a freshly picked cucumber or tomato.

Here is just one of the many articles available that indicate this fact:
5 Reasons to Buy Frozen Fruits and Veggies - ABC News

Google "fresh versus frozen veggies" for thousands more.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:36 AM

6,620 posts, read 3,690,289 times
I enjoy cooking and can't recall the last time I had a prepared frozen dinner. It is a challenge and I often make too much food and then eat it all because I'm not fond of leftovers. I'm getting better at that. I cook better or as good as what I eat in a restaurant at a fraction of the cost. (I need someone to do the dishes)

I'm trying to conform to a Mediterranean diet as much as possible. I will use some frozen pasta. Fresh fish is not available so I stock up on frozen fish. I hit the supermarket about twice a week for fresh veggies in season. I go to three different grocery stores depending on what I want and it is sort of a social thing. I get small veggie amounts so they don't go bad. My (more) elderly neighbors make one trip to Costco a month and stock up and they eat well but much of it is frozen dinners. I can't begin to know what I want to eat two days from now let alone two weeks from now.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM

4,556 posts, read 5,480,125 times
We use frozen veggies part of the time but prefer fresh when in season. Many years ago, a woman I worked with said her mother had been using the frozen meals for several years as she didn't like to cook for herself. She developed several health issues because she wasn't getting enough nutrition and too much salt.

A favorite munchie for us is steam soy beans and then lightly sprinkle with sea salt and sesame oil for flavor. Leave on counter and watch them disappear

Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 AM

730 posts, read 1,028,973 times
I have a lot of food sensitivities and so I have no choice but to cook for myself. The only frozen foods I buy are single-ingredient vegetables. I have to eat small amounts of food spaced out multiple times throughout the day, instead of traditonal "meals", and so being able to take out just a small amount of a frozen veggie and steam it as I need to. When my IBS kicks up, I have to avoid certain veggies entirely for at least a week, so if I'd bought them fresh I'd end up having to throw them away.

Even if I didn't have the ingredient issues I would never buy frozen dinners etc because they are usually loaded with sodium.

Last edited by Never2L8; 04-21-2014 at 12:01 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 12:23 PM

6,353 posts, read 7,840,596 times
My Grandmother cooked fresh peas. My step-Mother used to use canned vegetables and one of the biggies was Lesueur peas. <gack!> Frozen peas were a revelation!

Fresh vegetables, while I prefer to have them, I know that unless I'm picking them from my garden and preparing them immediately, they lose nutritional value while they are being sent to the packer; shipped to the distribution center; trucked to the market; and sit on the shelf for who knows how long. Frozen vegs, OTOH, are generally processed shortly after being picked and once frozen, the nutritional value is not deteriorating on the same scale. Thus, another myth debunked.

I was told about the juice and milk thing. I know for a fact that it's not a myth. If I drink a glass of O.J., I can't drink milk or eat cereal with milk at that meal or it's all coming back. Up, that is.

I was taught that when you are cooking vegetables, you put a lid on the pot for things grown under the ground and no lid on the pot for things that grow above the ground. I don't usually follow that "rule" if I can't find the right lid.

rrah, I was busy typing and overlapped your take on fresh v. frozen vegs. But you're right, of course. Next time, I won't let the phone interrupt my posting!

???HUH??? Did I overlap two threads? I think I did. I'm sorry. I think I have chocolate bunny hangover.

Last edited by theatergypsy; 04-21-2014 at 01:37 PM..

Old 04-21-2014, 12:46 PM

3,746 posts, read 4,224,664 times
I dislike cooking and I despise shopping. Fortunately, I'm not really "into" food. If I'm at home, whatever is in my cupboard or refrigerator is sufficient. I have been known to heat up a can of corn for my entire dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement