U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 01:42 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,734,773 times

Advertisements

I see cooking as another fun, creative outlet so I am always trying a new recipe or ingredient. We have a lot of great grocery options where I live so that helps - all kinds of ethnic groceries, farmer's markets, Whole Paycheck, Trader Joe's, HEB. Eating out just doesn't seem like a good value for the money spent so that only happens about twice a month - usually lunch. I have never liked frozen dinners so don't eat them but do use frozen veggies on occasion. I cook and freeze a lot of beans, soups, stews etc in pint jars, ie single serving. So dinner might just be some pinto beans with rice and homemade salsa and salad. Also, when I do buy meat (not so much these days), it is portioned into single serve packages for the freezer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 02:21 PM

8,612 posts, read 9,676,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Have to disagree .

In 1998, the FDA published that there is no difference in nutrition between fresh produce and frozen produce. Because of the nutrients that are lost due to most commercial food production of fresh produce, as well as the nutrients lost during the blanching and reheating processes of frozen food, the nutrient profiles of each are relatively the same.

The main reason I (single cooker) use frozen fruit and vegetables is to reduce spoilage. I just wish celery could be frozen!
I forgot to mention in my post that I do eat a LOT of fresh veggies. I prefer those over frozen but prefer both over canned!

Celery can be kept well by wrapping in aluminum foil. I've done that, after someone suggested it. I prefer to use those Green Bags, if I can find them. Those really work well.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:51 PM

13,324 posts, read 25,283,552 times
I cook for myself all the time, and never eat out. When I cook I make more than enough, and freeze the extras in plastic storage containers for later. I have a small (5cuft) freezer, and I like to keep it full. It's normally full of food to cook, plus meals that I've frozen.

Old 04-21-2014, 09:23 PM

1,498 posts, read 1,188,667 times
I live alone. My friends kid me that the only reason I own a kitchen is that my house came with one. My usual cooking consists of taking something out of the freezer and placing them in the oven or microwave. I've never been much of a cook, but I do eat a healthy breakfast (fruit and oatmeal) and I make sure I have a salad everyday. I have a farmer's market near my job, so I can get fresh greens in small portions. This helps me create a variety of salads from lettuce to spinach to broccoli.

Old 04-22-2014, 12:47 AM

1,764 posts, read 2,331,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire in MB View Post
I live alone. My friends kid me that the only reason I own a kitchen is that my house came with one.
About twenty years ago, my sister had to have her stove/oven replaced in her house because something happened causing it to be unusable. I can't remember all the details but it was hilarious thinking of my sister shopping for a new appliance that she knew she would never use. Whenever she decides to sell she will really be able to say "like new!" about her kitchen. ;-)

Old 04-22-2014, 02:30 AM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
When I'm alone I go to the local mom pop café. It's cheaper, less work and no mess to clean up.

Old 04-22-2014, 10:20 PM

14,257 posts, read 23,979,216 times
There are several other options:

1) Cook and freeze - mentioned above.
2) Cook for and invite a few neighbors/ friends over for dinner.
3) Purchase the entree at the supermarket and make the sides. I was at my local Italian market this morning and picked up a couple stuffed cabbage rolls. They are my wife's favorite BUT ... I do NOT like to make them from scratch.
4) Volunteer at soup kitchens/Meals on Wheels. That type of assignment usually includes a meal or two.

Old 04-23-2014, 09:55 AM

741 posts, read 641,209 times
Though just about 65 y.o., I'm still working ... and, therefore, M-F I eat my main meal of the day at lunch hour near where I work. I only lightly snack when I get home, evenings. On the weekend, I go out for dinner once on average. I have breakfast with friends at a McDonalds most Saturday mornings. I do use my crock pot to create meals and I portion/freeze meals I'll take to work on occassion or eat at home. It's most likely that I'll retire at the end of 2015 and, after that point, I suspect I'll prepare meals and eat at home most of the time. Again, most likely, I'll prepare enough for more than one meal at a time. I live in a mixed-age building but there are a lot of seniors. The principal reason widowed seniors are moved into retirement centers by their children is because the parent does not maintain healthy eating habits which has resulted in weakness and situations ripe for opportunistic illnesses. Eat meals at regular intervals, eat healthy and moderately exercise and chances of living longer and healthier are greatly increased.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:23 AM

983 posts, read 2,176,892 times
Like what others said, I like to cook and I enjoy being creative in the kitchen. Like Longford, the crock pot is my best friend, I just put some beef and cream of mushroom soup to make sudo "beef straganof". I know I will have leftovers and they will go either the fridge or freezer for another meal. I love pizza and find that I buy it frozen and just put it the oven, Aldi (if you have one) have a great variety of it. This is really the only frozen "meal" that I buy, other than that most of my food is fresh and is simply cooked with ready or easy to make sauces.

Old 04-23-2014, 02:49 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I forgot to mention in my post that I do eat a LOT of fresh veggies. I prefer those over frozen but prefer both over canned!

Celery can be kept well by wrapping in aluminum foil. I've done that, after someone suggested it.
I prefer to use those Green Bags, if I can find them. Those really work well.
Learned that secret many years ago (don't remember the sourced) and it really does work.

Being somewhat of a foodie and as one who cooks in a number of different "languages" it amazes me that so many Boomers barely cook or not at all when my guess is that so many of our mothers did so. If I'm correct then shame on them for not teaching their children.

But come to think of it, the ex had absolutely no patients for teaching our children or grandchildren how to cook. In the end, much of what they did learn came from me (my mother was a gourmet cook and I watched and learned from her) or subsequently, from my wife. She still gets lots of calls, especially around holidays.

I guess it's just a brave, new world after all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement