U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2014, 06:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat
Celery can be kept well by wrapping in aluminum foil. I've done that, after someone suggested it.
Sorry Brat, missed your reply. (Thanks Curmudgeon)

Yeah, I've wrapped in it foil before. But I want to freeze so I can use it 3 months from now, LOL

(End whine!)
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:07 PM

1,926 posts, read 994,079 times
you can freeze celery if you want to use it for cooking. I rarely buy a stalk of celery. I buy it already cut and eat it with peanut butter or chop/dice and make a salad with bleu cheese dressing. Also like it with pimento cheese but peanut butter is my first choice. Veg + protein = a meal.

Its more expensive to buy this way but there is no waste. I don't buy it often so it's a treat and I have no trouble eating the whole container. When I cooked more, I would buy celery by the stalk and plan on using the base and leaves to make potato soup.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:44 PM

1,774 posts, read 2,447,142 times
I am single and absolutely LOVE to cook and think I am really good at it, having taken academic university cooking classes. I also garden between 500 - 700 sq ft annually and can/preserve. Since I am a strict vegetarian, it is essential I DO cook at home. But all of this enables me to eat like a KING!!! Tonight, as I type, I am eating stuffed bell peppers from the freezer, baked potatoe and pickled zucchini spears. I grew the bell peppers and zucchini. I often cook things from the garden and then freeze the completed dish. This works out well when I'm in a hurry or busy doing something else. Like today: I spent a good 9 hours doing heavy yard work and am too tired to cook anything.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 AM

8,625 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Learned that secret many years ago (don't remember the sourced) and it really does work.

Being somewhat of a foodie and as one who cooks in a number of different "languages" it amazes me that so many Boomers barely cook or not at all when my guess is that so many of our mothers did so. If I'm correct then shame on them for not teaching their children.

But come to think of it, the ex had absolutely no patients for teaching our children or grandchildren how to cook. In the end, much of what they did learn came from me (my mother was a gourmet cook and I watched and learned from her) or subsequently, from my wife. She still gets lots of calls, especially around holidays.

I guess it's just a brave, new world after all.
I think it was someone on a frugal forum who told me about the celery and alum. foil.

All my kids know HOW to cook but they are a little 'lazy' I think. Especially my son. My older daughter is a great housekeeper, not such a great cook. Younger daughter is a great cook but lousy housekeeper. I said they should be roommates. Perfect! lol I mostly learned how to cook from my grandmothers. They were both fantastic cooks.

Old 04-25-2014, 09:40 AM

8,625 posts, read 9,698,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Sorry Brat, missed your reply. (Thanks Curmudgeon)

Yeah, I've wrapped in it foil before. But I want to freeze so I can use it 3 months from now, LOL

(End whine!)
I've never had occasion to freeze celery so can't help you there.

You can whine if you want to.

Old 04-25-2014, 10:09 AM

491 posts, read 598,847 times
I've been happy with celery I chopped very fine, laid out on a cookie sheet, froze and then placed in a plastic bag so I could take out what I wanted. To me it works fine for soups and casseroles.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:06 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Lots of good ideas here.

For those who eat anything placed in front of them:

Assume you have two eggs in an otherwise empty fridge and your cupboard is bare. After the first egg successfully hits the frying pan, you accidentally drop the remaining egg on the floor. Does the 3 second rule apply to raw egg?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:25 PM

8,093 posts, read 13,245,924 times
My cat would be there in 1.5 seconds; so no, not for me

Old 04-30-2014, 11:23 AM

6,956 posts, read 7,401,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Lots of good ideas here.

For those who eat anything placed in front of them:

Assume you have two eggs in an otherwise empty fridge and your cupboard is bare. After the first egg successfully hits the frying pan, you accidentally drop the remaining egg on the floor. Does the 3 second rule apply to raw egg?
Is your floor clean? Cooking would nix any bacteria that was picked up - I would think. I'm sure my dogs would get it before I did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement