U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:07 PM

6,235 posts, read 5,898,133 times

Advertisements

Do you still try to cook for yourself, or do you find alternatives like frozen dinners, eating at senior centers, fast food etc? What seems to work for you, and what doesn't?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:21 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,355,304 times
I usually cook for myself. I have gotten really good at determining how much to cook so that I am not wasting food. Eating out once in a while is good, but my cooking is better. When I make soup or chili, I will freeze in portions. I like fresh veggies, so I buy veggies, in small portions, two or three times weekly. Never buy frozen dinners or fast foods.

Recently I saw a nice looking older man buying several frozen dinners. I wanted to invite him to a home cooked meal.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:57 AM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
Do you still try to cook for yourself, or do you find alternatives like frozen dinners, eating at senior centers, fast food etc? What seems to work for you, and what doesn't?
Yes, I cook for myself. I never buy frozen dinners or eat fast food. I DO find myself buying a few more convenience foods like instant mashed potatoes for one. I only cook once a week. Two entrees. If I don't eat it all I freeze some for another time.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:00 AM

8,614 posts, read 9,678,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blondiel View Post
I usually cook for myself. I have gotten really good at determining how much to cook so that I am not wasting food. Eating out once in a while is good, but my cooking is better. When I make soup or chili, I will freeze in portions. I like fresh veggies, so I buy veggies, in small portions, two or three times weekly. Never buy frozen dinners or fast foods.

Recently I saw a nice looking older man buying several frozen dinners. I wanted to invite him to a home cooked meal.
I do the same as you. I am a cashier and I see a lot of seniors buying a ton of frozen dinners. Personally, I'd have to eat two to get any benefit from it. I know that some seniors have a hard time getting around, etc. so being able to pop something in the microwave is probably a good thing for them. To me they've just got too much 'not so good' stuff in them. And they don't taste all that 'real' to me.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 AM

1,811 posts, read 3,281,314 times
I've got an MSG sensitivity, so frozen dinners, much of fast food, and most processed foods are out of the question for me.

I'll cook up big batches of stews such as red beans, mulligatawney soup, or gumbo, freeze them in portions, then defrost them and serve over freshly cooked rice. Or I'll cook up a chicken entree that's enough for two servings and eat it two days in a row with fresh rice & vegetables.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM

16,346 posts, read 10,334,620 times
I occasionally cook for me-usually make enough for 2 meals-partly because I do hate to cook, and partly because I don't mind left overs. Some things even taste better later.

I do buy frozen stuff. Convenience and portion control. And I hate to cook.

Summer I do eat more sandwiches and salads. They don't have to be cooked.

(Maybe if I see someone in the grocery store buying food, I should invite myself over? or not.)

Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,945,414 times
I generally cook enough for 2 meals, and do find myself using some frozen dinners and goosing them up in both flavor and contents. I also use my grill a lot for fish, my brother keeps me supplied as he is always fishing!

IMO,cooking for one can be a real challenge.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:48 AM

35,108 posts, read 40,221,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardvanderbosch View Post
I am not retired nor am I single but I am by myself a lot since my husband is gone working for weeks/months at a time.
I fix meals like I normally fix any meal and put leftovers in meal size portions in the freezer. It makes for a quick easy warm up when I don't feel like cooking.
When I had the food saver (which I am going to get another soon) I put lefovers in portions and froze them then when I wanted a meal I would take out whatever I wanted and put them in a pot of boiling water to warm things through.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:28 AM

20,413 posts, read 37,802,521 times
I used to be a personal chef, and while I don't live alone (it's just my husband and me now), and while he's retired I'm not, I'm using some of those techniques now and will in future.

Basically, as modified it involves cooking an entree, six servings, and having individual serving-sized containers. Leftovers go into those containers and are labeled with what they are and the date, and into the freezer they go! If you do that for a week, you have at least a couple of weeks' worth of meals in the freezer to pull out. Also, sometimes I'll just make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it in meal-sized containers, labeled as above, to pull out and throw in the microwave to defrost and heat up while I make the pasta. Doesn't take much energy, and with a salad or some nuked veggies it's a good meal.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:26 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
I am not retired nor am I single but I am by myself a lot since my husband is gone working for weeks/months at a time.
I fix meals like I normally fix any meal and put leftovers in meal size portions in the freezer. It makes for a quick easy warm up when I don't feel like cooking.
When I had the food saver (which I am going to get another soon) I put lefovers in portions and froze them then when I wanted a meal I would take out whatever I wanted and put them in a pot of boiling water to warm things through.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I used to be a personal chef, and while I don't live alone (it's just my husband and me now), and while he's retired I'm not, I'm using some of those techniques now and will in future.

Basically, as modified it involves cooking an entree, six servings, and having individual serving-sized containers. Leftovers go into those containers and are labeled with what they are and the date, and into the freezer they go! If you do that for a week, you have at least a couple of weeks' worth of meals in the freezer to pull out. Also, sometimes I'll just make a big batch of spaghetti sauce and freeze it in meal-sized containers, labeled as above, to pull out and throw in the microwave to defrost and heat up while I make the pasta. Doesn't take much energy, and with a salad or some nuked veggies it's a good meal.
Y'all kinda sound like us and we do have and use a Food Saver. It allows us to make freezer bags in the size we want and freeze anything at all, keeping them "sound" for months. That's especially handy with leftovers.

There are two of us - both retired - and fortunately, we both love to cook, especially together, including baking our own breads, and more. Thank you KitchenAid stand mixer. I grill A LOT all year-round, we grow many of our own vegetables (grill them too) and have very healthy eating habits.. We eat dinner out maybe once every three or four months and only eat breakfast or lunch out when we're traveling or away from home running errands as we live rurally and shopping can be an adventure. No frozen dinners in this house except for what we freeze that's homemade.

One of the reasons we rarely eat out is because mostly we can cook as well or better than what we find elsewhere so eating out, for us, is a waste of money. We make a large variety of ethnic meals and love experimenting. I guess you could say that cooking is a hobby for both of us and our fairly sizeable and quite well-appointed kitchen supports us in that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement