U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:01 AM

8,787 posts, read 7,710,113 times

Advertisements

My guess is that the conscientious person would take time for others, maybe even consider others needs at times greater than their own. That means they would be as in a rush, generally. When you rush, or make rash quick decisions is when you make dumb decisions in some cases. So the non-conscientious person might be the kind of person, you might not take the time to plan and organize. This kind of person my tend to be more impulsive, not even make much for long range plans, and tend make decisions based on emotional short term wants.

But these are generalizations. My wife works with a very considerate conscientious person, but she also way over schedules herself and so her life is constant constant turmoil because it is just one crisis after another, trying to fulfill all her commitments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:09 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Wouldn't the more conscientious of been more likely to have prepared and laid out their retirement as best they could? Wouldn't their counterparts have paid less attention to the long term goal of a secured, comfortable retirement with access and the resources to remain as healthy as possible? Would those differences impact longevity. Come to think of it wouldn't there be a difference at various stages of life?
There are millions of people in the U.S. and all over the world who are conscientious (dictionary: wishing to do what is right, esp. to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly), but too poor to have laid out any kind of secured, comfortable retirement. It's all too often the view that those who are securely and comfortably retired are the only ones with "right" and "impeccable" values.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 AM

29,782 posts, read 34,876,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There are millions of people in the U.S. and all over the world who are conscientious (dictionary: wishing to do what is right, esp. to do one's work or duty well and thoroughly), but too poor to have laid out any kind of secured, comfortable retirement. It's all too often the view that those who are securely and comfortably retired are the only ones with "right" and "impeccable" values.
Did you read where I said as best they could? So within any group those who did the best they could might make out better than those who didn't within that same group.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:22 AM

332 posts, read 428,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
Interesting study. I wonder if conscientious people engage in less risk-taking behavior.
Maybe a bit of a tangent, but...I recently read about risk-taking and dopamine levels in the brain. This is not to be confused with the thrill-seeking neurotransmitter, adrenaline. Adrenaline rushes in when we are in harm's way and the high that adrenaline produces as it pushes our survival instincts remains for some time after the threat has been vanquished. Some people crave this exhilaration and do crazy stuff like bungee-jump off high places.

But the neurotransmitter dopamine influences what I think of as long-term risk. People who have high levels of dopamine tend to be explorers and entrepreneurs. These people do not sit around building castles in the air, they take on the challenge of the new and ride with it until the brain reassesses the risk factor. When the challenge morphs into comfort, the brain compels the person to seek out a new risk. For example, starting a business is a risk that once accomplished becomes ho-hum. Instead of being content with that success the high dopamine person will look for another risky venture.

On the low end of the dopamine spectrum, you have apathy and lack of motivation. I'm telling ya, more and more I am convinced we are not much more than the sum of our biochemistry. Sacrilegious thought, eh?

Conscientious folks would be less inclined to seek adrenaline surges, but may very well have the dopamine levels required to pursue high stakes activities such as politics.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:31 AM

19,842 posts, read 18,867,840 times
My late cousin who was such a creature of habit was also laid back, had a really great sense of humor, and enjoyed his hobbies. Sticking to a schedule for him was not equated with being stressed out or in a hurry. He just knew how to do it with ease. It was old fashioned self discipline and a matter of being organized. He wasn't rich, he was a former teacher, but he budgeted his money so that he could manage two vacations per year in retirement. One thing though--apparently he thought he was immortal: that's what his nephew said when he announced my cousin't death. He did not make a will.

I would say that if you are organized (which I am not) things are easier--you know where everything IS. You aren't running around at the last minute because you forgot your dr appointment. There's less stress. I think the human body likes some sort of routine too. Just my thoughts.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:23 AM

34,691 posts, read 33,700,331 times
I read a long time ago that married people live longer. My guess is that it has nothing to do with marriage itself but the fact that someone else lives with you and can influence you seeing a doctor and/or in emergencies can get you to the hospital or get help.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:41 AM

5,395 posts, read 21,401,588 times
I think this is a correlation based upon a limited sample.

I think it is genes / lifestyle that are the primary predictors of longevity, not state of mind.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,432,202 times
The conscientious are quite a bit more likely to balance their checkbooks, save and invest wisely, live below their means, and thus have a less stressful financial situation including a retirement nest egg.

They are also more likely to take their meds on time, exercise moderately, use sunscreen, to follow doctor's advice, see a doctor more often, thus maximizing health and longevity.

They are also more likely to pick up their dirty socks off the floor, keep a clean house, and thus attract and keep a supportive mate who equates sex with housework.

But some wild folks can cram more real living into each year, so it may all even out.
Live fast, die young, leave a great looking corpse.

Old 04-20-2014, 12:54 PM

1,661 posts, read 1,525,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuteTheMall View Post
The conscientious are quite a bit more likely to balance their checkbooks, save and invest wisely, live below their means, and thus have a less stressful financial situation including a retirement nest egg.

They are also more likely to take their meds on time, exercise moderately, use sunscreen, to follow doctor's advice, see a doctor more often, thus maximizing health and longevity.

They are also more likely to pick up their dirty socks off the floor, keep a clean house, and thus attract and keep a supportive mate who equates sex with housework.

But some wild folks can cram more real living into each year, so it may all even out.
Live fast, die young, leave a great looking corpse.
Agree. Also perhaps less likely to overindulge in drugs or alcohol or less likely to be involved in risky activities that could result in accidents or more careful during those risky activities. Perhaps they drive more carefully and defensively.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:25 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,692,211 times
Conscientious people probably take better care of their health, see their doctors for regular checkups, exercise regularly, eat properly, and so forth. I believe it would have more to do with those factors than their day-to-day organization or borderline compulsions. But those would probably be common in people who take care of themselves, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or