U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 09:15 AM

43,545 posts, read 52,637,306 times

Advertisements

Maybe bc the rest of us won't want to kill you for being flighty and showing up late all the time.

The MF : murderizing factor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 10:10 AM

8,612 posts, read 9,674,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, this was disclosed a few years ago in a study spanning 80 years:

Cheerfulness, optimism, extroversion and sociability may make life more enjoyable, but they won’t necessarily extend it, Howard S. Friedman and Leslie R. Martin found in a study that covered eight decades. The key traits are prudence and persistence. “The findings clearly revealed that the best childhood personality predictor of longevity was conscientiousness,” they write, “the qualities of a prudent, persistent, well-organized person, like a scientist-professor — somewhat obsessive and not at all carefree.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/sc...anted=all&_r=0
Well, rats! And here I was thinking I had it made! I guess I've been cheerful, optimistic, extroverted and social all for naught! LOL Oh, and I'm always well organized too. I guess I can cut all that out now.

Old 04-21-2014, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Along that line, I would think that pessimists would have a longer life than optimists. A pessimist will always be thinking about what could go wrong and then be ready to take whatever action is necessary to avoid getting into trouble in the first place. The best planning committee should have an equal balance of pessimists and optimists.
When I was much younger my optimistic attitude wasn't always a good thing. I always figured that whatever was going on would 'work out'. Wrong, lots of times. I am still an optimist but I DO think about what could go wrong and either avoid it or work out a 'plan'...just in case. I try to have a personal "balance" and it works pretty well.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:16 AM

26,085 posts, read 28,484,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
about 70% of health problems are related to unhealthy habits.
Correction to my previous post:

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 84 percent of all medical costs in the U.S. are caused by physical inactivity, food choices and portion size, tobacco, and unmanaged stress.

How Wellness Is Pushing the U.S. to Prosperity - US News

Old 04-21-2014, 11:22 AM

26,085 posts, read 28,484,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Along that line, I would think that pessimists would have a longer life than optimists. A pessimist will always be thinking about what could go wrong and then be ready to take whatever action is necessary to avoid getting into trouble in the first place. The best planning committee should have an equal balance of pessimists and optimists.
This was actually talked about in the book. It turned out that pessimists can actually live longer as long as they don't take it too far. It turned out that happy-go-lucky people did not live longer than average because they didn't take realistic precautions and were more likely to engage in risky behavior, such as smoking.

One of the other interesting findings of the book was that children of divorce typically didn't live as long.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:34 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,926,394 times
Fate laughs at probabilities. (E. G. Bulwer-Lytton)

Old 04-21-2014, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This was actually talked about in the book. It turned out that pessimists can actually live longer as long as they don't take it too far. It turned out that happy-go-lucky people did not live longer than average because they didn't take realistic precautions and were more likely to engage in risky behavior, such as smoking.

One of the other interesting findings of the book was that children of divorce typically didn't live as long.
I think age might have something to do with all this because even the most enthusiastic optimist has to stop and think more about consequences as time goes on. I mean, once you've proven to yourself that it's not always a good idea to place so much faith in something it makes you pull back and think. You can still be an optimist but a 'realistic' one. Which I believe I am.

Oh man...another strike against me and a lot of my family as well! Divorce. My kids are gonna kill me if they find out about this! lol

Old 04-21-2014, 11:41 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,926,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I'd love to contribute to this fascinating thread, but I am stuck back with the guy who ate exactly 6 Pringles every day.

I'm sorry.... I just can't get past it.

I'm going to bed, now.

Counting his carbs?

Old 09-05-2014, 09:08 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,165,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foglover View Post
Well then, I should have become dust in the wind by now. With the exception of being compulsively punctual for work and appointments, I would not fit this description of 'conscientious'. I am disorganized and have my head in the clouds much of the time.
I love to plan. Sadly, it is an exercise in fiction. The actual doing is so tedious.

I have found that those who cross their t's and dot their i's are often the same people who lack imagination. And although the world would be a sorry place without the crossers and the dotters, I can't say I'd prefer to be one of them.
I'm incredibly organized. Friends and family laugh at me. I'm a list-maker from way back, and organize the details of my life so much that I've been called OCD by many, many people.

AND, I'm an artist (writer) and author of eight books (and working on Number Nine). My imagination is pretty far out there.

So, speaking as someone who is very thorough with the jots and tittles, I can say I also have a fantastic imagination!

Old 09-05-2014, 09:12 PM

1,780 posts, read 2,165,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Actually, this was disclosed a few years ago in a study spanning 80 years:

Cheerfulness, optimism, extroversion and sociability may make life more enjoyable, but they won’t necessarily extend it, Howard S. Friedman and Leslie R. Martin found in a study that covered eight decades. The key traits are prudence and persistence. “The findings clearly revealed that the best childhood personality predictor of longevity was conscientiousness,” they write, “the qualities of a prudent, persistent, well-organized person, like a scientist-professor — somewhat obsessive and not at all carefree.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/19/sc...anted=all&_r=0
That is *so* me! LOL.

With a smidge of free-floating anxiety mixed in...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or