U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:19 PM

897 posts, read 1,520,109 times

Advertisements

I am not a believer in conspiracies. I think Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy, case closed. However every time there is an article on retirement savings or SS like:

"You must have 8 times your pay in retirement savings"

" Only take 4% per year in withdrawals"

"Delay SS until 70.5"

The board lights up with "financial institutions want you to have more money so they make more money" and the "government hopes you die before 70.5".

Is this just good advice or do you believe there is an alterative motive to all these articles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 05:28 PM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
My thought is that over preparedness is better than being unprepared. Do you want to over or under shoot.

Old 04-20-2014, 05:52 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,460,873 times
In some sense I think the government would want the biggest generation to put off taking SS seeing how the government spent that money.

Me..I think I'm going to take SS early and hold off on my 401K until 70.
I've always marched to a different drum anyway so why stop now

Old 04-20-2014, 06:15 PM

1,528 posts, read 1,434,707 times
On the other hand, if the Social Security folks did not provide an explanation of how your benefits are determined and how to maximize your benefits (which for most people is to delay taking Social Security as long as possible), there would be other conspiracy theorists ranting about how "the government" was trying to cheat them out of money by not explaining how to maximize their SS benefits and becoming all indignant because they weren't told to wait until 70 so they could get the biggest benefit. The same goes for retirement savings. If there was no one urging people to max their 401k and other retirement savings, there would be those who would see a conspiracy to withhold information and "keep people down."

Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 PM

71,462 posts, read 71,629,249 times
there is a whole lot more information and parameters that have to be met that goes with those statements before they are right or wrong.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,880,155 times
You need what you need and you need for what you want. Otherrwsie you'll end up taking welfare basically. Its not just retirees either.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:18 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,723,738 times
When I was a boy (and that was a LONG time ago), my father told me to be skeptical of any claim advanced by the person who had something for sale. So yes, investment companies are going to be funding studies designed to "prove" that we all need huge amounts to retire. I wouldn't exactly call it a "conspiracy" but it is the normal skewing of a discussion by those who have something to gain from skewing it.

Old 04-20-2014, 07:53 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,473,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am not a believer in conspiracies. I think Lee Harvey Oswald killed Kennedy, case closed. However every time there is an article on retirement savings or SS like:

"Delay SS until 70.5"

The board lights up with "financial institutions want you to have more money so they make more money" and the "government hopes you die before 70.5".

Is this just good advice or do you believe there is an alterative motive to all these articles?
I believe there was a lot more to the Kennedy assassination than we're told. Plenty of videos on youtube that go over that ground.

Now, back to the topic...I do think the general advice on saving (a lot) more money is appropriate. If anything, the general advice is isn't hard core enough.

My favorite blog on the subject:

www.mrmoneymustache.com

Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 PM

26,075 posts, read 28,473,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaofan View Post
On the other hand, if the Social Security folks did not provide an explanation of how your benefits are determined and how to maximize your benefits (which for most people is to delay taking Social Security as long as possible), there would be other conspiracy theorists ranting about how "the government" was trying to cheat them out of money by not explaining how to maximize their SS benefits and becoming all indignant because they weren't told to wait until 70 so they could get the biggest benefit. The same goes for retirement savings. If there was no one urging people to max their 401k and other retirement savings, there would be those who would see a conspiracy to withhold information and "keep people down."
Exactly.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:47 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post

"Delay SS until 70.5"

4% is an interesting number but it might be a good rule of thumb. 8 times your pay is not much. Are we talking 8 times your annual salary? A person making 30k a year would only need to save 240k? Yikes! What kind of retirement would that provide?

SS delayed until 70 is good provided you file and suspend at Full Retirement Age (FRA). Getting it early will mean lower payments in the future when inflation could be eating away at your lifestyle.

What many forget is that the retirement savings they accrued over the years is for their retirement to enjoy. When people get to that time frame they look at it as something they can pass on to their heirs instead of enjoying all the hard work. Let the kids enjoy it. Yikes! I want to leave something for my daughter but I will be damned if I let her have it all after I skrimped and saved for what little I have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or