Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 05:57 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times

Advertisements

My dad's factory closed about seven years ago, and many of the staff were in their 50s then and by now in their 60s to 70s. He had a few that had to move back in with family because they lost their homes to foreclosure and couldn't get another job with the local economy the way it is. Many of those people are still on the sidelines. It truly is sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2015, 10:25 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,273,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
The people across street from me have 4 generations living in the same house and it's a small house -probably 1400 sq ft. Grandma is probably 75 or so, her daughter and her husband probably 45-50, their daughter and her husband, mid 20's and that couples 4 year old son. Both of the men work as does the younger woman. They are always cheerful, quiet and keep to themselves. I have no idea how they do it, if I had that many people in my house I'd lose my mind

Sixty years ago, that was the norm, not the exception. For a lot of people, that situation works pretty well.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:44 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
It all depends on the circumstances. As we have seen here, for some families having a couple of generations under one roof is a curse and for some it's a blessing. I wonder, though, in the case of my nephew, what will happen when his parents are gone. It is inevitable he will outlive them. What then?

They will leave him a good inheritance but if he follows true to form, he will do as he has done in the past and spend it all on drugs, cars and whatever else pleases him. Are parents doing able bodied "kid" a favor, by continually bailing them out of trouble over the years? Maybe sometimes it's better to leave them on the streets. Never having had kids I don't know the answer but in my family's situation, propping up all these years hasn't done him much good.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:13 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,660,890 times
Sad story.. i simply do not understand the concept of making the man sleep in his car because he had no job? Once he secured a job, albeit part time, he was allowed to sleep in the house.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,566 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
Sometimes the parents need help.
Both physically and financially.
So older children move back in
When this happened, we were happy to find her an adult family home, where she had the companionship of 5 others her age, and 24 hour care. At that point (physical help) it may not be enough to just be there before and after work, if they fall and can't get up for example.

Old 06-17-2015, 01:47 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,442,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Sad story.. i simply do not understand the concept of making the man sleep in his car because he had no job? Once he secured a job, albeit part time, he was allowed to sleep in the house.
Were you referring to my story about my nephew? I wasn't sure. It was under my second post but it wasn't the way I explained it in my first post. No one made him sleep in his car. Also the job he lost after being caught with pot was a full time job.

Maybe though you were referring to another post but other posts were made in between?

Old 06-17-2015, 02:33 PM

3,577 posts, read 4,508,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It all depends on the circumstances. As we have seen here, for some families having a couple of generations under one roof is a curse and for some it's a blessing. I wonder, though, in the case of my nephew, what will happen when his parents are gone. It is inevitable he will outlive them. What then?

They will leave him a good inheritance but if he follows true to form, he will do as he has done in the past and spend it all on drugs, cars and whatever else pleases him. Are parents doing able bodied "kid" a favor, by continually bailing them out of trouble over the years? Maybe sometimes it's better to leave them on the streets. Never having had kids I don't know the answer but in my family's situation, propping up all these years hasn't done him much good.
Absolutely not doing them any favors.
So many examples of children just continually getting money from their parents.

When will they learn? Never if always bailed out.
A trust could be set up to distribute controlled monies to the beneficiary.

Old 06-17-2015, 04:55 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Were you referring to my story about my nephew? I wasn't sure. It was under my second post but it wasn't the way I explained it in my first post. No one made him sleep in his car. Also the job he lost after being caught with pot was a full time job.

Maybe though you were referring to another post but other posts were made in between?
mco55 was referring to the article about the older woman who "let" her daughter stay in her home after daughter and her hubby lost their jobs. Old lady would not allow the hubby in, he had to sleep in his car because he was "supposed to be the provider and he failed."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement