U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 05:23 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,966,925 times

Advertisements

I think if you can afford it saving but not ruining your younger years is important consideration. I retired early at 52 but I also did a lot of things I wouldn't have at older age or even much of at 52. Enjoy your youth is just as important has risk you;'ll be able to enjoy what you think of in youth at older age. Life has phases and we change over time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 05:26 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,534,315 times
Everyone has their own ideal age and that is what they usually work towards.
Sometimes they attain it and sometimes they don't.

There is no general ideal age.

Old 04-23-2014, 05:50 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
If I remember correctly what I read, "retirement" at 65 was instituted by the German Kaiser around 1914 or so (before the end of WW One, anyway) and it was for German civil servants. Pre-dating the U.S. idea by well over a decade.
At an age that only a very small percentage of the German population lived to 64. The average life expectancy was about 48 in 1900.

Old 04-23-2014, 06:01 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,469,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think if you can afford it saving but not ruining your younger years is important consideration. I retired early at 52 but I also did a lot of things I wouldn't have at older age or even much of at 52. Enjoy your youth is just as important has risk you;'ll be able to enjoy what you think of in youth at older age. Life has phases and we change over time.
There is a wisdom to retiring as soon as possible, before the ailments and disabilities settle in so much that we can no longer enjoy life.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:47 PM

10,818 posts, read 8,067,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I always thought that retirement was wasted on the old, we should all retire at 40 and then go back to work at 60.
That might be true for some but not for everyone. When I was in my 40s-50s, I enjoyed my work and derived satisfaction from feeling useful and productive and contributing to society. I retired at 63 and have enjoyed every minute since, I love my life and have no interest in working.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:49 PM

55,668 posts, read 74,646,551 times
Old enough to have built up enough money but young enough to spend it

Old 04-23-2014, 09:09 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,744,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That might be true for some but not for everyone. When I was in my 40s-50s, I enjoyed my work and derived satisfaction from feeling useful and productive and contributing to society. I retired at 63 and have enjoyed every minute since, I love my life and have no interest in working.
Exactly. One can enjoy one's job and derive gratification from it and one can enjoy one's retirement equally. The two are not mutually exclusive.

Old 04-25-2014, 11:04 AM

223 posts, read 274,761 times
Some 20 year olds do have definite ideas about retirement and what they envision their lives being like. I know that I did! Of course, those ideas morphed a bit as I got older and discovered that life sometimes throws curve-balls.

My parents have been my financial inspiration for early retirement. They both retired from state jobs with pensions when they were 55. That was the right age for them to retire. They were young enough to continue doing yard and farm work and were able to explore their interests.They are in their 80's now. I grew up listening to them discuss retirement, savings and frugal living.

I am 43 years old and my husband is 56. For us, these are the ideal retirement ages!

We are planning to retire next year. My husband's job is physically demanding and we always planned for him to be able to retire. It can be difficult to keep doing work that can easily tear your body down. We want to travel a bit, spend winters in the sun and have time to enjoy hobbies, etc... Our children are grown and college educated and we have no debt related to their educations.

While may parents are our inspiration, our retirement won't look like my their quiet, home-based lifestyle. They can afford to do more traveling and pricier activities, but opt not to.

Since we don't have pensions, our retirement will be based upon having access to 401k's, Roth IRA's, Social Security, royalties and monthly income from rental properties. I suppose you could say that we won't be fully retired since I am a freelance writer and novelist and will likely continue doing that. My husband is planning to take a few vocational classes and maybe restore an old car. Our rentals take up a little bit of time, too.

We haven't set a date for when we will give those activities up and declare ourselves to be fully retired!

Old 04-26-2014, 07:27 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Default The "Ideal" Retirement Age...

...is whenever you're able and choose to. What's so complicated about that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or