Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 11:54 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times

Advertisements

I still have some 8 tracks!

Watch Kids Try to Figure Out a Walkman. Prepare to Feel Really, Really Old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 12:56 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Yes, I still have a box of them, and a closet full of LPs, but nothing to play any of them. My kids grew up with Walkmen, but the grandkids are using Ipads at age 2.

Old 04-16-2014, 01:45 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
This video doesn't make me feel old; it makes me realize how fortunate I've been.

When I was perhaps eight years old I encountered a magneto telephone. I knew what it was; I'd read about them and heard about them; I'd seen them in movies. I was positively charmed to be using something from the past. About ten years later I encountered another; it was a payphone perhaps a hundred miles from Chicago. Just a few months later I saw a display in the window of a small telephone company office. The latest magneto phones were there; they had cranks in place of the dial in a thoroughly modern phone.

I knew about crank-starting a car, about turning a grinding wheel with a treadle, and so much more. I recall my grandmother's unused treadle sewing machine; I remember finding a darning egg and my grandmother's explanation. My parents had told me about these things and shown them to me whenever possible. I recall my mother's telling me what a chamber pot was when we saw a broken specimen in a ghost town. Don't parents and other family members talk to children anymore? Do they leave it up to the government school system entirely because they're so involved with their own activities that they can't be bothered with their children?

I knew what a "speak" was, not to mention a "honey wagon".

I'm glad that I was born in 1943.

Oh yes, I also learned to speak articulate English at an early age.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-16-2014 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-16-2014, 02:01 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
Hey, I was born in 1953 and I know what a "speak" was and a "honey wagon." How 'bout a little interest in cultural and historical items?!

Old 04-16-2014, 02:38 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
Yes, I still have a box of them, and a closet full of LPs, but nothing to play any of them. My kids grew up with Walkmen, but the grandkids are using Ipads at age 2.
Those LPs are still good! Don't get rid of them. You are on a computer, so you are obviously computer savvy. What you can do is purchase a USB turntable. They are only about a hundred bucks, give or take. What you do is plug it into your computer...kick off an audio recording program, (there are a lot of free ones out there, I'm partial to Audacity)...and play the LP while it is recorded to an audio track on your computer.

You can play the whole side, or track-by-track. I just let the whole side play, then afterward, use Audacity to break them up into different tracks/files. From there, you can play them through your computer...upload them to your iPhone, iPad, iTouch, or any other portable audio player...or even burn an audio CD and play them in a car or home audio system.

I've picked up more than one album from a garage sale because the seller didn't have a way of playing them anymore and figured nobody else did either. Got them for a 'song and a dance'...well, almost.

p.s. I'm also converting/digitizing my cassette library using my high-end Sony dual cassette, home audio player hooked up to one of my netbook computers. Same process as above, just different play equipment.

Old 04-16-2014, 02:53 PM

6,357 posts, read 7,768,830 times
Went back and watched the video. Wow! Things sure have changed. No wonder some of my students in my class have a blank face when I talk about some things. They just can't relate.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:03 PM

3,727 posts, read 6,223,758 times
Walkman? 8 tracks? When I was a kid I built a crystal set, records had one song per side and broke if you dropped them, and radios took a couple of minutes to warm up the vacumn tubes and play after you turned them on.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:16 PM

332 posts, read 504,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by volosong View Post
Those LPs are still good! Don't get rid of them. You are on a computer, so you are obviously computer savvy. What you can do is purchase a USB turntable. They are only about a hundred bucks, give or take. What you do is plug it into your computer...kick off an audio recording program, (there are a lot of free ones out there, I'm partial to Audacity)...and play the LP while it is recorded to an audio track on your computer.

You can play the whole side, or track-by-track. I just let the whole side play, then afterward, use Audacity to break them up into different tracks/files. From there, you can play them through your computer...upload them to your iPhone, iPad, iTouch, or any other portable audio player...or even burn an audio CD and play them in a car or home audio system.
Wow, interesting. I still have some albums sitting in the attic so they might not be in great shape. I think I will turn this information over to one of my techie friends (I'm useless) and see what he thinks. Thanks mucho for this.

Old 04-16-2014, 04:30 PM

41,479 posts, read 59,783,759 times
Try suggesting to somebody to crosscut a board with a hand saw. Or cut a tree down with an ax. All this technology may be appropriate but what makes me feel old is a attractive woman under forty.

Old 04-17-2014, 02:57 AM

332 posts, read 504,854 times
Confession: In regard to music-listening technology, I have been lost since the Walkman came out. When it was all about speakers and the tracking weight of styli, I was right there. After the Walkman was old news I finally bought one with the intention of using it while riding my stationary bike. Hated it. Didn't like wearing headphones, missed that whole-body experience of the music that I got from a pair of good speakers; and to me it was cumbersome. That was the beginning of my distaste for seeing people walking around attached to devices.

I still have no idea what MP3 is and that's gone bye-bye. I suppose that if I had kids and grandkids I'd be more current. I detest cell phones especially the 'smart' ones, so I've never heard what music sounds like through one of those things, but this commenter to the video says what I imagine would be true:

If someone in 1980 heard an ipod music player, they would be like "why does this sound like ****, you can't hear all the music?" Truth is today's music is compressed, and you don't get the all sonic fidelity that you use to get with analog music. It's convenient but that's about it!

When it comes to music, I want to hear it all.

I'd like to know what a 'music system' is these days. If you are having a party, how does the music get transmitted?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement