U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 03:33 PM

18,378 posts, read 23,571,093 times

Advertisements

luv my iphone too, takes great pictures and videos..

the gps is great, i have the internet...and will never get bored again,,,just go on youtube... video clips of everything on there..

a few yrs back, i use to look at some of the younger generation in disgust, their phone was like their life-line...im thinking they are consumed and addicted to it,,,

but now that i have one,,,im always checking to make sure i know where it is.. its the portal to the world,,
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 05:40 PM

8,412 posts, read 9,162,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TFW46 View Post
I think iPhones are great for those who want them and make good use of them. But everyone I've seen carrying an iPhone is burdened by it. They wont call it that but, every time they get a call or a text, they feel as though they must answer/read it right away. They're never really able to relax because they're always at the beck-and-call of everyone else.
Yep some people are like that. My guess is those same folk would do the same if they had a "dumbphone". It's not the device, but rather the person's choice.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:34 AM

1,835 posts, read 2,602,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Yep some people are like that. My guess is those same folk would do the same if they had a "dumbphone". It's not the device, but rather the person's choice.
I recently took a Holland America cruise for the first time. I knew HAL catered to the "older crowd". Then it really hit me as we were standing in line at the terminal to check in. It wasn't all the grey hair. I had my iPhone out checking emails, etc. yes, I'm one of those. Then, as I was putting it away I looked around and realized in the whole place I was the ONLY one with a phone out checking it. I'm so use to seeing people with their eyes glued to their phone it really stood out that I was definitely in a different demographic.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 AM

19,846 posts, read 19,948,859 times
You're on vacation, new and interesting to do and see and you're constantly checking your phone and/or texting.
I know some are good at multi-tasking but seems to me that's like reading a good book while you're having sex.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:14 AM

10,824 posts, read 8,079,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
You're on vacation, new and interesting to do and see and you're constantly checking your phone and/or texting.
I know some are good at multi-tasking but seems to me that's like reading a good book while you're having sex.
You're missing the point. We're not multi-tasking, not checking email, not texting. We use our smartphones to do all the regular things people do on vacation: carry our itineraries and tickets, get directions to local attractions, get recommendations to good restaurants, take pictures, check the day's weather before heading out, and read a good book.

In other words, we travel lightly, unburdened with physical itineraries, tickets, maps, guidebooks, cameras, and books. All that info fits into our smartphones. At the end of the day when we're back at our lodging, IF we want to check in with home folks, we can call, email, or skype them.

eta: I also have a Spanish-English dictionary in mine, for my next trip to Guanajuato.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or