U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2014, 06:41 PM

8,394 posts, read 9,141,441 times

Advertisements

This thread is sort of a combination of how pleased I was and to encourage holdout seniors to consider the value and merits of a smartphone.

OK just got back from Hawaii after two weeks. Reason for trip was to experience the birth of our second grandchild and help out afterwards. Timing was perfect! Kid arrived on day three of our visit. I am so tanned and happy to be back home

Anyway, I decided to not bring my laptop, a camera, paper maps, reading materials (including my Bible), a flashlight and I knew full well that my son and dtr-in-law do not possess a phone book. I decided to see how it went if I only used my iPhone 5.

So one may ask; how did it go? Perfect! Got a ton of great pictures and videos. Found my way around just fine thanks to Google maps and I did not have to ask anyone for directions since my phone told me where stuff was and spoke turn by turn directions. Found a good Pizza place a mile from my son's house. Had two versions of the Bible in the palm of my hand and the last five issues of TIME, plus other reading materials. Read the news on four different sources every morning. No problem checking and answering emails. Surfing internet and even posting on C-D! Confirmed our return flight yesterday. . Skyped friends and family. The Flashlight app was handy when we explored a cave. And I was also able to make a few phone calls too.

Mrs5150 and I embrace technology, when it makes life better and tolerate changes that we have the deal with. We love our smartphones and don't mind paying the extra $40 that it costs to have a data plan for our two iPhones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2014, 07:11 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
I decided to see how it went if I only used my iPhone 5.

So one may ask; how did it go? Perfect! Got a ton of great pictures and videos. Found my way around just fine thanks to Google maps and I did not have to ask anyone for directions since my phone told me where stuff was and spoke turn by turn directions. Found a good Pizza place a mile from my son's house. Had two versions of the Bible in the palm of my hand and the last five issues of TIME, plus other reading materials. Read the news on four different sources every morning. No problem checking and answering emails. Surfing internet and even posting on C-D! Confirmed our return flight yesterday. . Skyped friends and family. The Flashlight app was handy when we explored a cave. And I was also able to make a few phone calls too.
ditto, all of the above. I do my daily spiritual reading and writing on my iPhone so don't miss a beat when I travel. Plus it carries my entire itinerary (including all confirmation numbers), calendar, keeps me up with the weather, and is an alarm clock. It has all my medical and insurance information. The flashlight app is indispensable when arriving at nighttime at a vacation rental and struggling with locks and switches.
When traveling by car, we use the Gas Buddy app to find gas, and the Around Me app to find just about everything else. I use the Day One app to keep a travel journal complete with pics and videos.
In addition to ebooks and magazines, I keep audio books on it so I can watch the passing scenery while listening to a best seller.

And my pet sitter back home sends me daily texts with status reports and pics of my fur baby

Old 04-23-2014, 07:12 PM

86,093 posts, read 72,498,448 times
I also have an iphone5 now..a 5C actually and I got the lime green.
For free no less and my new plan cost less then my old plan with just phone and no data, no text.
Now I have unlimited calling, unlimited text and I got the bare bones 250MB data plan.
I turned off everything I don't use and found that if I do nothing only 1MB a day is used to keep stuff updated.
So I think the 250MB a month will be plenty should I have need to get on the internet for something with my phone.

I just got it and am halfway through my first monthly bill cycle which is why I turned stuff off to just monitor the first month.
Streaming (music, videos) is what eats up your data real quick.

Old 04-23-2014, 07:32 PM

8,394 posts, read 9,141,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I also have an iphone5 now..a 5C actually and I got the lime green.
For free no less and my new plan cost less then my old plan with just phone and no data, no text.
Now I have unlimited calling, unlimited text and I got the bare bones 250MB data plan.
I turned off everything I don't use and found that if I do nothing only 1MB a day is used to keep stuff updated.
So I think the 250MB a month will be plenty should I have need to get on the internet for something with my phone.

I just got it and am halfway through my first monthly bill cycle which is why I turned stuff off to just monitor the first month.
Streaming (music, videos) is what eats up your data real quick.
And that, my friend, is what Wifi is all about. Listening to music and watching videos on my phone at son's house courtesy of his Wifi.

We have the 2gig data plan with AT&T oddly is cheaper than their 500mb plan. $90 per month for two phones. We rarely reach that limit.

If I had your plan, I'd just figure that when travelling I would use more data and not worry. Extra data use is just part of the cost of travel. When one is spending $500 or $2000 to vacation, what is another $25 or $50 for data?

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-23-2014 at 08:14 PM..

Old 04-23-2014, 07:49 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,442,342 times
When I travel, I take no electronics and phone no one. It is a hoot and my distant family goes nuts because I do horse treks in foreign countries. I tell them not to worry because if something happens to me, the cops will phone them.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:02 PM

10,813 posts, read 8,061,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
When I travel, I take no electronics and phone no one.
That would work fine for me (other than the fur baby reports and taking pictures) once I arrive at my destination. But the logistics and boredom of the trip there and back would wear me to a nub, without my iPhone. Plus I hate keeping up with paper itineraries, tickets, boarding passes, etc.

Old 04-23-2014, 08:40 PM

2,455 posts, read 2,625,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
When I travel, I take no electronics and phone no one. It is a hoot and my distant family goes nuts because I do horse treks in foreign countries. I tell them not to worry because if something happens to me, the cops will phone them.
Not necessarily. Sadly, this young woman has been missing in Nepal for four years.

Aubrey Sacco disappearance remains a mystery

Old 04-24-2014, 09:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 4,464,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
...just got back from Hawaii after two weeks....I decided to not bring "anything", [edit for brevity by this poster]...
Due to my responsibilities here at work, they have provided me with a phone. We were given a choice of what type we wanted, and I choose an iPhone. It's a version 3Gs and even though I could have upgraded years ago, this one has worked so well and has such good battery life, I figured, "Might as well keep it. Nothing wrong with it, and besides, I'll save the taxpayers a little bit of money."

In fact, it is such a good phone that I went out to the local Apple store and purchased outright an unlocked iPhone 5 for myself. It cost a lot, but I'm not tied to any cellular company and the phone is dual GSM/CDMA. It can go either way and is the only phone Apple sold that was dual network. (I currently have Family Mobile through that evil WalMart place. It's $43/month, unlimited voice, text, and data.)

I love the thing! Got a bunch of music on it, a lot of apps, and the entire America's Cup race series from last summer...in full HD!

About the only thing I don't like about it is that my eyes are not as young as they used to be and it is difficult to read on that tiny screen. I don't wear glasses, even though I should, and find reading the small type frustrating.

If I were going to do what you did, I'd take along one of those iPad mini things. Same capability, sans the telephone, as an iPhone, but a lot larger screen. This past Christmas, I knew my lady friend wanted an iPad, but I wasn't sure which size she wanted. So, I purchased both, wrapped both, and told her that she could have one or the other. She kept the mini, which meant that I got to keep the full-sized iPad.

It is a constant companion...I don't take my paper Bible to church anymore. Just the iPad with its downloaded Bible. It is trivial to get from book to book and chapter to chapter. However I really with I had purchased the one with the maximum memory. I'm always bumping up against the memory limit. Great devices.

Old 04-24-2014, 02:10 PM

15,149 posts, read 19,756,086 times
I think iPhones are great for those who want them and make good use of them. But everyone I've seen carrying an iPhone is burdened by it. They wont call it that but, every time they get a call or a text, they feel as though they must answer/read it right away. They're never really able to relax because they're always at the beck-and-call of everyone else.

For 42 years, while I worked, I was at the beck-and-call of my bosses and clients. Now, when I'm vacationing or just relaxing around the house, I want my time to be my own. I have a desktop computer and nothing else -- and it's all I want.

And I like to touch pages of books so I dont want an electronic reading device. I guess I'm a dinosaur but I like it that way.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:25 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,597,382 times
Love my iPhone, and my iPad, but still don't use them to their capability. I'm probably one of the few people who have not gotten into downloading music, or even using the iTunes Store. OTOH, I used my iPhone for all my Europe pictures last fall thanks to my old digital camera dying before we even landed. There is a good app, Transfer Pro, where you can transfer pictures for iPhone to iPad to computer or any variation. It's been great to use.

Then there's my DH who barely uses his cell phone. Back before retirement, when we went on a cruise to truly get away, he would leave it home with the voice message on his work phone. "My blackberry and I are taking separate vacations....."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or