U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2014, 11:53 AM

4,800 posts, read 4,847,776 times

Advertisements

Who Is Your Retirement Role Model? - WSJ.com

Here is a different article for you all.

Several WSJ contributers were asked

Quote:
Sometimes, emulating those who have come before can lead to a happy retirement. With this in mind, we asked The Experts: What role model—famous or not—do you have for the way you'd like to live in retirement?

Here are their short answers:
SARA LAWRENCE-LIGHTFOOT - her neighbor
WILLIAM REICHENSTEIN - Scott Burns amd Peter Bernstein
MARC AGRONIN - Walter Cronkite
BUD HEBELER - a friend
NATALIE CAINE - a woman she met on a hiking trail
ED SLOTT - his dad
MARC FREEDMAN - John W Gardner

I won't go into their explanations. That is for you to read. I just thought the list insightful and interesting.

For me my maternal grandmother is my retirement role model. Well that might not make sense to a lot of you when I tell you that she never had a job outside of the house. I grew up with her in the house living on spousal SS and taking care of a disabled child (my aunt). She would putter around the house all day doing this and that. then sit and read or in the later years watch television. She didnt worry about anything. She just kept going along doing her thing. She was the sweetest person and I have missed her these last 30 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2014, 12:58 PM

1,831 posts, read 2,597,931 times
May not play out in the long run but at this moment my role model is a friend who retired just a few months ago, about five months after me. The reason? She and her husband had done the downsizing years ago, had sold their big house and had moved into a condo. Since January she's been on a cruise, two trips out west to their second home, skiing, and also to the beach. I'll admit I've squeezed a trip and a cruise in so far, but will be happier once the downsizing and house sale is done.

Old 04-24-2014, 01:49 PM

6,074 posts, read 5,334,569 times
OK, so this is tough for me. I've known for most of my working career how I could keep five of me busy. (In other words, there have been far more opportunities than time, in my view.) Now as I approach retirement age, I still wish there were five of me.

Two of my heroes worked at businesses they had built and loved, moderately paced of course, into their 90's. Another spends vast amount of time on his bicycle, multiple "across state" rides each year plus a self-designed long trek from time to time. Another snowbirds, avidly pursuing an active life north and south, in season.

I guess I'll end up putting all these things in the blender: working half-time, winters in the southern sun, active swimming/hiking/kayaking/fishing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement