U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2014, 06:43 AM

676 posts, read 744,900 times

Advertisements

Last year my husband and I moved to Inverness...Long story short...so homesick, not much money, I worked and left husband with no car. Roaches, bad water, etc. We learned so much..Well, found a house for rent in Homosassa for$800.00 as opposed to the last time for $500.00..We want to go, we are in our 60's, no kids...We feel this is the time after learning so much from the last time. We have a fixed income of around 3000.00 a month. We have more money now because I am drawing SS. Can we live on this amount of money down there? We are not fancy people. Stay to ourselves and just need the things to live with. Example, I can use a card table for my kitchen table and folding chairs....Can I have some constructive input. I know all about the critters, weather, etc. Thank you all for being here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2014, 02:51 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
Husband and I often dreamed of moving to Fl but the cost of hurricane insurance and now flood insurance in many areas was a deal breaker. We would have purchased a home but property taxes were higher than where we landed. We can afford to make many more trips over to Disneyworld and live comfortably here. We are only 5 hours from the San Diego Zoo and Disneyland so the future grandkids will be spoiled. Where you are makes all the difference in your retirement if you are on a restricted budget. Not sure I would want to be strapped in Florida.
Biggest question is do you have Medicare? We still pay for our insurance, no subsidies for us, and will be paying for another 3 years. We want to sleep at night so we chose to live very simply.

Old 04-28-2014, 03:36 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,920,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
Last year my husband and I moved to Inverness...Long story short...so homesick, not much money, I worked and left husband with no car. Roaches, bad water, etc. We learned so much..Well, found a house for rent in Homosassa for$800.00 as opposed to the last time for $500.00..We want to go, we are in our 60's, no kids...We feel this is the time after learning so much from the last time. We have a fixed income of around 3000.00 a month. We have more money now because I am drawing SS. Can we live on this amount of money down there? We are not fancy people. Stay to ourselves and just need the things to live with. Example, I can use a card table for my kitchen table and folding chairs....Can I have some constructive input. I know all about the critters, weather, etc. Thank you all for being here
I think you'd probably get more input on this subject in the Florida forum. Homosassa is a pretty small place - and I doubt many people - even those of us in Florida - are all that familiar with it. Robyn

Old 04-28-2014, 06:19 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,328,149 times
Homosassa. Love the name. Sounds like a sassy homo to me!

I understand there is a town in New Mexico called Lesbia. If I move there will I become a Lesbian?

Old 04-28-2014, 08:30 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,607,031 times
I remember visiting Homosassa in 1990 and going on a fun tourist boat ride, but I don't recall anything else outstanding about the area. Without all the amenities and attractions of other popular Florida destinations, I would guess that the cost of living there would be cheaper

Old 04-29-2014, 06:48 AM

676 posts, read 744,900 times
My husband has Medicare. It's just something we would like to do now that we have been there and done that but the right way this time. Last time we moved in December and I had a deadline to be there for work...this time, no. All at our leisure. I guess if we're gonna be poor may as well be in Fl. where it's warm and hot and humid. No more shoveling snow and slipping and falling on ice. Thanks for the input.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:09 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,353,783 times
I don't know Homosassa particularly, but I think you can afford better than a card table. If this area is anything like that to the south, Pinellas County, there are tons of used furniture stores with great prices. So you should be able to furnish your place gradually, and nicely, on a small budget.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:58 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Seems to me you should be able to put together a budget to figure out your question.

You already know the rent amount, right?

So how much for utilites (can you get this from the utility company or the apt. landlor/manager), how much for renter's insurance if you get it, how much for car expenses (if you have a car/s), how much do you typically spend on groceries and eating out?

By renting your won't have home maintenance, property inusrance or property taxes. Your rent may rise, though...

What are your other expenses for medical/dental, entertainment, cableinternet, gasoline, etc.?

I would think if you live simply as you say and don't have any huge, unexpected expenses, and arent paying off any debt, that you should be able to live quite easily on your retirement income in that area.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:43 PM

283 posts, read 782,559 times
Where are you now? Why do you think a town that is about 30 minutes from Inverness is going to be all that different? They are both small towns, kinda in the middle of nowhere, with a long drive to any services.

I have lived in various parts of Florida, and would think that Homosassa isn't all that different from Inverness. You will still have plenty of roaches and other bugs. The water may still be that sulfure, smelly stuff that needs a conditioner, esp. if you get it from a well. You may still be lonely and homesick, unless you are actually from there. If you are moving away from family, you will lose that safety net (unless you don't have family, in which case you will have access to the same services that other old, poor Floridians have access to).

Good luck with what you decide!

Old 05-16-2014, 12:17 PM

141 posts, read 243,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarajane2013 View Post
My husband has Medicare. It's just something we would like to do now that we have been there and done that but the right way this time. Last time we moved in December and I had a deadline to be there for work...this time, no. All at our leisure. I guess if we're gonna be poor may as well be in Fl. where it's warm and hot and humid. No more shoveling snow and slipping and falling on ice. Thanks for the input.
You should try Nashville, TN. One place that is fabulous to live and is very inexpensive is the suburb of Franklin. If we could, I would move there. Check it out. You can live like a KING and QUEEN there. Weather is wonderful and the people are friendly plus EVERYTHING is brand new. Check it out!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or