U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 09:08 AM

11,262 posts, read 8,417,691 times

Advertisements

Don't kick yourself for the lifestyle inadequacies at this point. You said yourself, you are a worker bee. THAT's what you need to figure out. Once you get back into a SORT OF work routine, the rest will be easier to sort out. You'll find your balance. Only difference now is you get to choose what you want to do and you can make it fun. IE: if you contact the activity director at any retirement home, she will probably welcome any assistance. I went weekly to read for a half hour before lunch (they're already grouped around the entrance to the dining room and they usually stay awake for that.) I had so much fun planning the week's readings. Old classic poetry was better. Having them all come alive with 'NEVERMORE!" when I read Poe's The Raven was awesome! But there are volunteer web sites that organizations list opportunities and you'd be surprised what's there. You can plan a week of part time "employment" - a day here and day there. You'll find a good match - but don't be miserable. If it doesn't fit, then move on. Someone else was meant for that position. The object is to have a blast and impact the lives of others while doing so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:43 AM

4,552 posts, read 5,466,666 times
Like many, we lost touch with who we really were while working for the man. I did find What Color Is Your Parachute in Retirement a good book to think about who we were long ago. Learn to follow your own passion first.

For us, we have been working on getting some little pesky health issues taken care of like sleep apnea as I want to be as strong and healthy in retirement as possible. My endocrinologist lowered my cholesterol 25 points in 30 days uning only thyroid meds and no evil statins and we get to the gym at least once a week and bike ride also.

We volunteer at our local library and my hubby tutors math one day a week. I have a friend who is reall outgoing so she ushers at local theater productions just to meet lots of new people with a variety of interests.

Find and follow your own passion.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:42 AM

297 posts, read 668,378 times
About volunteering -- don't think you're going to hit Nirvana with the first volunteer job you try. You might, but you might not. I tried volunteer position after volunteer position, and none of them felt right. Thought it was something wrong with me. Then, last summer, I struck the gold mine and found a volunteer opportunity that I love so much it made me weep with joy one day.

Just because someone else loves walking dogs at the Humane Society or building with Habitat for Humanity -- both very worthy things -- doesn't mean it's right for you.

Old 04-29-2014, 12:26 PM

6,550 posts, read 3,653,233 times
It is good to have a plan and periodically take stock of what you are doing in retirement. If you have a decent retirement with health benefits you might volunteer or find a part-time or seasonal job that fits your interests. Work out your plan with your spouse so the two of you are in synch and content with the plan. Keep in mind that a spouse's health could change your plans.

I retired at 52 -- maybe too young but the opportunity was too good to pass up. My wife retired about a year before me and was enjoying her time and found a part-time job at a library that she loved. I made a to-do list that I thought would take me through the first year transitional phase. I completed all of it in 90 days. Obviously I wasn't really retired. I found a part-time job that really had no benefits (didn't need any) and was low pay (pocket money) but I enjoyed the work and could go in on my own hours and have a four day weekend. My wife and I had one day off together mid-week and I had one day off on my own. I did this for seven years and enjoyed that work more than I did the last few years of my career job. I had just enough work time, just enough wife time, just enough free time on my own and ample social contact and I felt pretty good about the work I was doing.

Now I'm 65 and my situation is vastly different so I'm trying to re-invent my retirement. I volunteer at a local foundation but there isn't much to do there so I'm still looking. I have a new house that keeps me busy (built a bocce court). And -- surprise, surprise -- there are a couple health issues. So the process of adjusting and taking stock goes on.

I've known retirees who have worked grading papers for college courses, volunteered at the zoo and took animals to local schools, researched genealogical inquiries at the state archives, served as tourism volunteers, volunteered at animal shelters...there is a lot to do.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:22 PM

1,316 posts, read 1,182,310 times
I went to see the Comedian Jackie Mason one time and he talked about Miami Beach....He said, "here are all these men sitting on these park benches feeding pigeons.....some of the were CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY and now....they're just a bunch of SCHMUCKS!

Old 04-29-2014, 02:30 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,577,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaffeetrekker View Post
I went to see the Comedian Jackie Mason one time and he talked about Miami Beach....He said, "here are all these men sitting on these park benches feeding pigeons.....some of the were CAPTAINS OF INDUSTRY and now....they're just a bunch of SCHMUCKS!
What's that got to do with anything?

Old 04-29-2014, 04:32 PM

2,900 posts, read 1,582,286 times
Quote:
Hey... it made me laugh! Maybe 'cos I'm a NYawker too & get that style of humor? In the end we all end up as schmucks on that bench whether we were CEOs or janitors. After all Miami was known as "God's waiting room" in Jackies day.

Some tremendous food for thought here, something to take-away from almost every post, glad I asked. I think some semblance in the days' structure is the first order of business in order to stop "drifting". Several things I wouldn't have thought much about really, always helps to get a fresh perspective. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
What's that got to do with anything?
It has to do with the thread title. If you spend your time sitting on a park bench feeding pigeons, then you are in a rut big time. The point of almost every post in this thread is that we can do better than that - there are interesting and worthwhile things to do out there.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:08 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGyrl View Post
About volunteering -- don't think you're going to hit Nirvana with the first volunteer job you try. You might, but you might not. I tried volunteer position after volunteer position, and none of them felt right. Thought it was something wrong with me. Then, last summer, I struck the gold mine and found a volunteer opportunity that I love so much it made me weep with joy one day.

Just because someone else loves walking dogs at the Humane Society or building with Habitat for Humanity -- both very worthy things -- doesn't mean it's right for you.
You make a good point there, it took me three tries before I found the volunteer position that worked out right for me. If you try it and find it isn't a good fit, I've found quite a few folks who assume they aren't cut out for volunteer efforts, and never seek other opportunities.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:16 PM

4,056 posts, read 2,568,125 times
Retiring is not for the faint of heart, that is one thing I have discovered.

It was a huge shock to my wife, and it is for me also (only 2 months into it). We all know we can travel, volunteer, do hobbies, etc, but still it is just a very different mind set especially if you were in a work role that was demanding with a lot of responsibility. It is a shock to get up in the morning and not be solving a million problems at work.

You will get your bearings and find a new life outside of work. It just takes time, apparently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or