U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 08:11 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,558 posts, read 39,944,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Setting a schedule is important for retirees, IMO. I decided that we would get up at 7 am, and that is what we do....
Yikes !! I'm glad we all have different views and motivators! I gladly gave up the 'schedule' when I left dairy farm boarding school (age 15). I doubt if I have awaken 2x the same time since, no alarm clocks, no watches, no timeclocks, and no set working hour schedule since I was age 17. Yippee. (I know... I'm ruined for life) Certainly ruined for a job / spouse / volunteer gig that requires a fixed schedule.

I go in different spurts of interest. I do really like sunrise and sunset (especially being outside working at that time (typical for farmers)). Not one to burn daylight...This presents challenges at northern Latitudes..While in the PNW during the summer, I am out at 5AM and never come in to eat supper before 10pm.

Quote:
... I used to volunteer, but in my new city I haven't really found a volunteer job I want to do. Or a class to take.
Lots of options in your area. Some I have enjoyed in my 30+ yrs here... (a small taste, likely not in your interest, but food for others & OP)
  1. School districts, reading - tutoring
  2. WSU-Extension, Master Gardeners, Composters
  3. Home Orchard Society
  4. Fort Vancouver - Heritage Orchard and gardens
  5. Fort Vancouver Historical
  6. 3 Rivers Historical (Camas / Washougal)
  7. 4-H
  8. Clark and Skamania County Fairs
  9. Business Leadership and EDC volunteer opportunities
  10. County Planning / development boards
  11. Vancouver Farmer's Market
  12. Church stuff like Awana Clubs,
  13. Mission Connexion
  14. Catholic Community Services (for elderly)
  15. Hospice care
  16. Senior Advocate
  17. Vancouver Housing
  18. Habitat
  19. Rebuilding Center
  20. Salvation Army
  21. CCHE (Clark County Home Educators) http://www.cchomeed.org/
  22. Willamette Valley Development Officers (WVDO) Is a great group to plug into. They have monthly meetings where you can get to know the key Non-Profit players in the region.

Because I'm in the Gorge, I used to take / teach lots of classes at Skamania Adult edu. It is certainly worth the $1 bus ride from Fisher's Transit for the view! (I think it just jumped to $2)

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 05-04-2014 at 08:22 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2014, 11:11 AM

4,060 posts, read 2,572,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyram View Post
Also, the second comment about being in a role that was demanding w/responsibility & a shock to not be solving problems at work.....Although I get that TwoByFour was mostly referring to himself, this type of thinking is also very subjective.....Some want nothing more than to retire FROM what he missed and the associated stress.
True, true - we are all different. I am just relating my story which should be a familiar one amongst people in professional roles. There are a lot of people who loved their work and only retired because we felt life is slipping away sitting in an office. The paradox of a stressful job is that you hate the pressure cooker feeling while living it but you miss the high it gave you if you step away. Well, some of who are more perverse go through this.

Old 05-04-2014, 12:09 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,735,102 times
Default What a great way to put it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
...... I am just relating my story which should be a familiar one amongst people in professional roles. There are a lot of people who loved their work and only retired because we felt life is slipping away sitting in an office. The paradox of a stressful job is that you hate the pressure cooker feeling while living it but you miss the high it gave you if you step away.....
What a great way to put it, especially in the sentence I bolded. I, and I'm sure many others, can relate to what you wrote. Just ignore those who engage in name-calling because they have a different opinion.

Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM

1,091 posts, read 1,217,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
The paradox of a stressful job is that you hate the pressure cooker feeling while living it but you miss the high it gave you if you step away. Well, some of who are more perverse go through this.
Laughing a bit here. I can relate to that. I kind of miss the challenge, the pressure and the adrenaline rush.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:31 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,550,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthfrodo View Post
Laughing a bit here. I can relate to that. I kind of miss the challenge, the pressure and the adrenaline rush.
Yes, absolutely. Not only is it your mind that is used to it; your physical body is also acclimated to it. When I was in a very high-pressure job, I used to get migraine headaches. No, not because of the stress ... when we had a lull in the action. I never even realized it. A co-worker pointed it out to me. "Every time you should be enjoying a break, you get one of those headaches," she said. And she was right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or