U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 10:17 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,878,849 times

Advertisements

I notice it with the seasons. By the time I get used to it being one season, we are in the next one!! Christmas will be here in no time!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 10:25 AM

8,767 posts, read 10,857,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes!
That's funny ... and true!

IMO, we tend to 'mark milestones' in our lives when we are younger, which seems to divide time into measurable segments. As we grow older, we settle into our married lives; the kids are raised and out of school --- and starting families of their own; Our careers have peaked or are over and we are retired. Now, we still have trips and events in our lives, but, nothing that really changes our lives. Thus, time seems to simply slip by largely unnoticed. Half the time, we can't even remember the day or date!

Old 04-29-2014, 10:46 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,477,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's simple really, as we get older we compare a period of time, say a year, to longer and longer periods of time. A year was a huge amount of time when we were five and compared it to only the five years we had experienced. When we are 70 we are comparing a year to a much longer period of time so it seems much shorter. I understand that. What I can't figure out is how the days get longer at the same time...
That's how it was explained to me. Remember how long it took to get the "toy" from sending in our cereal box tops? Seem to take "forever", and we usually had forgotten about it when one day, it magically shows up in the mail.

For a four-year-old, one calendar year is a quarter of their life, and life experiences and memories. At sixty, one calendar year is 1/60th of our life/experiences/memories. Yes, if we every got motivated to get out of bed in the morning, we have acquired a life time of memories to reflect upon.

Now . . . there are a few memories I wish I could forget.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:01 AM

1,230 posts, read 1,561,185 times
Retirement -time flies when you are having fun!

Old 04-29-2014, 11:06 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I once read some scientific article that explained this phenomena by stating it is because we have so many memories. So then I got to thinking - so if one has alzheimers and looses one's long term memory, does time again seem to pass slowly ? I really hate the way time is flying by uncontrollably because it means I'll be dead before I know it!
I think you'll know it

Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

5,330 posts, read 11,060,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
It's simple really, as we get older we compare a period of time, say a year, to longer and longer periods of time. A year was a huge amount of time when we were five and compared it to only the five years we had experienced. When we are 70 we are comparing a year to a much longer period of time so it seems much shorter. I understand that.

^That was the past ...

What I can't figure out is how the days get longer at the same time...

Now you are talking about the future !
On the other hand, why, when you go somewhere, going home seems shorter than getting there.

Old 04-29-2014, 11:07 AM

3,302 posts, read 3,583,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlelu View Post
Life is like a roll of toilet paper, the closer you get to the end the faster it goes!
I like that analogy.

Old 04-29-2014, 03:04 PM

12,286 posts, read 12,525,000 times
It's all a matter of perspective. When you were 10 years old, a year was 10% of your whole life, and even more of your conscious life. When you are 50 years old, a year is 2% of your life.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,638,436 times
Its because man desided he wanted to measure time. If we never bothered to measure time, one day would be the same as the next and we would have no concept of time other than what we noticed from the sun and moon cycles.

When some of us are a year old, we experience events, like a first Christmas, as an example. There's a big deal made over the day, and we remember there were pretty decorations, and prezzies and special meals and stuff. As time passes, we forget about Christmas. Then one day 365 days later, OMG!!! It's Christmas again! I had forgotten about it.

Why did I forget about it? Because now Im 2, and it took half my life (up until that point) for that special event to come around again.

Fast forward 80 years, and the realization that Christmas is coming faster and faster appears. That is because its now only taking 1/82 of my life for the event to happen again.

Its all relative to your perception. In each example, it always took 365 days for Christmas to come around again - the only difference is your personal perception based on the length of your life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It's all a matter of perspective. When you were 10 years old, a year was 10% of your whole life, and even more of your conscious life. When you are 50 years old, a year is 2% of your life.
What Larry said... xD

Sorry, I posted in reply to the OP and only read yours afterwards. *shrugs*

Last edited by ConeyGirl52; 04-29-2014 at 04:15 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:57 PM

1,560 posts, read 1,060,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I really hate the way time is flying by uncontrollably because it means I'll be dead before I know it!

Most of us will be better off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or