U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2014, 05:31 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,639,375 times

Advertisements

How many people dont even have a job right now? How many people with the potential for better employment (i.e. college degrees) are competing with unskilled labor for unskilled labor jobs?

Its fine for people wth jobs to plan, but what happens when the few places of employment continue to downsize? What happens to their plans - will they truely be able to forget about it and leave it saved while they are facing eviction and the like?

I dont mean to take this thread off-topic at all, but saving is all fine and dandy - provided there is something, even $20 a month extra, when there isnt much scope for employment to begin with.

Then I could start in about credit card companies that offer credit to people who dont even have jobs yets.

I sit here at 52 and watch almost all bastions of hope flow at a steady pace down the drain, even possibly my own job. I have some money saved for retirement - even plan on retiring as soon as I can - but if I find myself downsized, and unlucky enough not to replace that employment at the *cough* highly sought after age of 52*cough* even I will be hardpressed not to touch that savings and hold my breath till age 57.

Damn, this thread just depressed the crap out of me!
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2014, 07:22 PM

8,767 posts, read 10,862,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No financial planning is very different than dieting.

In dieting, you are supposed to spend MORE than you take in.

In financial planning, you are supposed LESS less than you take in. (g)
Although it is just an allegory, the parallel is:

The advice in dieting is always to eat LESS than than one can 'stuff down one's gullet'

The advice in financial planning is always to spend LESS than one's entire income.

Neither are 'rocket science' or 'brain surgery.'

Old 05-10-2014, 11:50 PM
GLS

1,985 posts, read 4,850,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
No financial planning is very different than dieting.

In dieting, you are supposed to spend MORE than you take in.

In financial planning, you are supposed LESS less than you take in. (g)
In an attempt to implement your analogy, I fired my financial planner and hired a nutritionist. Now my wallet is losing weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or