U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 PM

5,509 posts, read 6,133,441 times

Advertisements

Safeway and Vons offer online ordering and home delivery, but they are predominately in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM

154 posts, read 401,294 times
amazon prime offers boxed delivery of groceries to your door. I haven't tried this yet. If you have an amazon prime membership they charge a flat $5.99 rate per box of groceries.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
amazon prime offers boxed delivery of groceries to your door.
In only a few selected cities.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM

154 posts, read 401,294 times
I tried other zip codes for Amazon Prime, right on their website. It accepted all of the ones I tried, for instance towns in Georgia and also in Florida. So I didn't see anything about selected cities anywhere.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:51 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,525,919 times
For items other than groceries (e.g., paper products, household cleansers, OTC drugs, lotions, shampoo), Drugstore.com will ship to you. There are no shipping charges on orders more than $35 and they give you a certain percentage back on your next order if ordered within a certain timeframe of a couple of months or so. Often they will have a special such as 20% off all shampoos or 10% off all Neutrogenea products or something like that. They probably carry some non-perishable food items. And they keep a running tally of your purchases which makes it easier to reorder. I use Drugstore.com for sunscreens, lotions, shampoo, and conditioner as I have sensitive skin/scalp and have to use special products that are hard to find. Otherwise I try to buy local but I have often thought that if I ended up being incapacitated or unable to drive, I would just order a bunch of stuff from them online.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:56 PM

1,499 posts, read 1,190,846 times
Living in a city, I don't have a car and I've been using Safeway.com for years. Very convenient and they have online coupons and delivery specials and promotions. When I broke my leg they were a godsend. Usually use them for bulky and pantry items and get my greens and fruits from a local produce market or farmer's market. I'm lucky that I have 2 really good meat and fish markets nearby too.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM

2,575 posts, read 4,691,430 times
Amazon has a grocery delivery service called Amazon Fresh in LA, the SF Bay Area, and Seattle. It has nothing to do with Amazon Prime, which is for delivery of other items. I know people who use it in Seattle and LA and speak very highly of it. I suspect if it works out, they might expand to other cities, too.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:15 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
I tried other zip codes for Amazon Prime, right on their website. It accepted all of the ones I tried, for instance towns in Georgia and also in Florida. So I didn't see anything about selected cities anywhere.
Amazon Prime delivers items everywhere, but not fresh groceries. You can buy, for instance, a case of tuna or snack bars or chicken broth, or other non perishables, and have it delivered but you can't order a bag of assorted groceries that includes perishables and have them delivered unless you live in one of the few test markets.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 PM

176 posts, read 510,147 times
"Quote: Originally Posted by Onestep4ward
amazon prime offers boxed delivery of groceries to your door.

In only a few selected cities."

False. There are three Amazon options:

1. Traditional Amazon offers tens of thousands of grocery products. For expensive stuff or multi-packs Amazon prices may be acceptable (especially when you have a prime subscription or use the Subscribe and Save option). But almost anything you can get in the grocery store for only a buck or two will be $5 or more--shipping is built in. No perishables.
2. In a few metropolitan areas Amazon offers Fresh Direct, which includes perishables. But probably any city where this is offered will already another online grocery service.
3. Within the last week Amazon started Amazon Prime Pantry which offers a couple thousand plus grocery store items at grocery store prices (but you have to belong to Amazon Prime and there is a $6 per box shipping charge). For example a 5 pound bag of sugar for $1.76. No perishables.

I think you could probably eat adequately with no perishables by using Amazon and Walmart (canned fruits, vegetables, meats; powdered milk...). This is something most of us would not enjoy.

Online grocery shopping with perishables is basically only available in urban areas.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:52 PM

249 posts, read 356,202 times
I'm very well short of retirement age (for my generation, retirement will probably never be possible) and want to remind people that it's not just the elderly who can't drive; it's anyone with epilepsy, or eyesight under about 20-40, or any number of other medical reasons.

I'd like to see it become a legal requirement that all grocery stores that have parking lots also make deliveries. It wouldn't have to be an on-demand thing; they could do deliveries on certain weekdays at certain times.

It may sound outrageous, but it's a reasonable-enough idea. They offer free parking to people who arrive at the store by car. The least they can do is offer something similar to people who can't take advantage of the services that are built into the store's prices. Such discrimination in favor of one race or religion would be illegal, but discrimination in favor of automobile drivers ia A-OK>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or