U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2014, 08:12 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,327,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
I haven't had a car for years and using local taxi services I've found there are a lot of people from all walks of life who don't have a car most or all of the time, for various reasons.

In the two small cities I've lived in the past few years, I didn't have any luck getting the large grocery stores to deliver or finding a shopping service.

But there are other options. I suggest once you get to know your community and where you like to shop, see if there's a local store that will put together an order for you and ask what the payment options are.

Then you can have a taxi service pick it up and deliver it to you. I was surprised to find it's much more economical to have a cab pick up an order as part of their package delivery service than to drive around town picking things up and paying the cab for waiting time.

Most stores have a charge for the service but it's usually not more than what you'd pay for a grocery delivery service, probably less. And sometimes if you email the order a day or two in advance they'll give you a break on the charge since they'll have more time to shop it.

Doesn't always work out, just depends on the store. But I think more places are becoming open to this even if they don't advertise the service. Also, it helps to be flexible if you get them at a busy time.
Awesome idea, Marigo!

I just checked out safeway.com and amazon prime pantry, after reading through this thread. Safeway doesn't deliver in my city and prime pantry doesn't have any fresh foods, just packaged. It's still useful to know about, though .

I used to do a lot of bulk buying through local stores. I would borrow an old copy of the catalog from their distributor, and order full cases of things through the store. Most stores give 10% discount for this, but I found one that just charged me wholesale price plus 10% -- a far better deal! A great way to buy in bulk if you don't have a costco near you .
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 11:45 AM

11,276 posts, read 19,828,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
If you can't get out due to a health problem, you may qualify for In Home Health Services, where your health insurance pays for someone to come and help you in your home. This can include going grocery shopping for you.....You might want to call your health insurance provider and ask if there is any such service available in case you need it, and what would the cost, if any, be to you.
Thank you. I am mostly worried about low vision from macular degeneration (tho I thankfully don't have it). I have Humana Advantage Medicare, and I will check into the home health aide benefit.

My husband also told me about some kind of widow's home care benefit from the VA that I am eligible for.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marigo14 View Post
But there are other options. I suggest once you get to know your community and where you like to shop, see if there's a local store that will put together an order for you and ask what the payment options are.

Then you can have a taxi service pick it up and deliver it to you. I was surprised to find it's much more economical to have a cab pick up an order as part of their package delivery service than to drive around town picking things up and paying the cab for waiting time.
Thanks for the idea. The Harris Teeter stores in my area of coastal NC will assemble the order for you and leave it in a storage locker at the front of the store. (They don't appear to be refrigerated though.) There are taxi companies that would probably do the pickup.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
I use PeaPod where I am now but was disappointed that no stores near where I am going to be in retirement offer this service.
PeaPod (from Giant stores) sounds great, and I would even consider relocating back to Northern Virginia or Maryland to get it.

Old 05-05-2014, 08:39 PM

176 posts, read 510,710 times
I'm sure there are informal methods of grocery delivery in all areas--as all areas have people who are no longer able to drive to a grocery store.

Old 05-05-2014, 10:16 PM

6,756 posts, read 8,327,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PastTense01 View Post
I'm sure there are informal methods of grocery delivery in all areas--as all areas have people who are no longer able to drive to a grocery store.
I dunno. When I had an injury as a university student (in a moderately large city where I didn't know anyone yet), I had a heck of a time. I finally ended up calling up churches that I had never been to, of religions other than my own, and finding volunteers that way. It was a very difficult time.

My experience is that people tend to assume that services are available for people with illnesses or injuries -- and then they are shocked when they or a family member has a health problem and there is not much out there.

My mom was just telling me the other day about a blog she had read, by a family with a schizophrenic grade-school child, and all the years of struggle to get any treatment at all. And they were well educated, had resources, etc.

Old 05-05-2014, 11:58 PM

5,432 posts, read 3,462,764 times
Minneapolis and all the surrounding suburbs are covered by four delivery services where you order online.

There is Byerlys.com which costs $9.95 and Cobornsdelivers.com which costs only $5.00.

Both are major very large grocery stores, and both delivery services are topnotch and great.

(Cobornsdelivers.com also covers the city of St Cloud, Minnesota)

Minneapolis also has a very low cost grocery delivery service for low-income seniors and this grocery delivery operation uses food from the huge CUB Food stores - it is also a great operation.

There is also a 4th grocery delivery but I've forgotten the name.

Washington DC and suburbs has peapod.com which is for Giant grocery stories, and Safeway.com originating from Safeway stores.

I used to do grocery shopping using the regular city bus and using a large backpack and a cross-body lightweight nylon carryall. I also used to walk for groceries using the large backpack again & large nylon carryall. Also used to use one of those wire metal grocery carts that you pull.

I've never owned a car and never used a car. I've lived in eight different states - five midwestern and three eastern.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-06-2014 at 12:13 AM..

Old 08-11-2014, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 35,609 times
I live in Denver and grocery delivery service is offered by Kings Soopers, which is part of the Kroger chain store group. Also, recently, Walmart has joined in grocery delivery service in Denver.

Old 08-11-2014, 05:02 PM

34,711 posts, read 33,734,897 times
As a last resort you could always join something like Nutrisystem.

There is also WeGoShop in some locations (not in my state). In fact, they're looking to expand according to their website so maybe that's also an opportunity to be self-employed in places with a large senior population (doing grocery shopping).

The current delivery areas are on their website. They say they've been in business for 15 years.

Delivery Areas - WeGoShop.com Grocery Shopping and Delivery Service - WeGoShop.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or