U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times

Advertisements

My greatest anxiety during retirement would be a health problem limiting my ability to drive. Thus I have been researching areas where you can get groceries delivered.

Myrtle Beach, SC is one area that has several options. Three of the local stores will deliver for a fee, and there is also the SimplyGroceries service for $9.99 : Simply Groceries | Order your Groceries Online Today - Great Grocery Deals

1. Has anyone used the SimplyGroceries service?
2. Are there other parts of the country where a service is available?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 AM

1,577 posts, read 2,204,023 times
The HyVee grocery store where I live will deliver for $15.00.

https://www.shopouraisles.com/cedarrapids.asp

Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,238,618 times
There's always Peapod. I had a friend who used them for several years (delivering weekly) until she passed away.

According to Wiki, they deliver to certain areas of Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Connecticut, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, and Rhode Island.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:48 AM

1,723 posts, read 3,376,604 times
I order from Peapod.com.

I use them all the time. They've got everything your local food store would have, all different brands, and they accept coupons too. Delivery is 6.95 but they do offer free delivery coupons occassionally. Customer service is great too. If you're not happy with a purchase you've made, call them and they'll take it right off your bill.

I googled them for NC and I see they are looking for workers, so they may deliver to your area.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:07 AM

2,601 posts, read 5,296,825 times
Consider finding a place within walking distance of a grocery store. Possible in most areas of the country and good for health to boot.

Old 04-29-2014, 09:23 AM

11,261 posts, read 19,800,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
Consider finding a place within walking distance of a grocery store. Possible in most areas of the country and good for health to boot.
Thanks. That's another option. I am also considering places where you can use a golf cart or adult tricycle. Myrtle Beach also has several options for that.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:04 AM

741 posts, read 641,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
I doubt that in "most areas of the country" people live within walking distance of a grocery store. In some urban areas, yes. But other than being in the center of an urban area .... I think most people don't live close to shopping. That's one of the reason they have cars.

Old 04-29-2014, 10:48 AM

9,128 posts, read 17,152,817 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34543393-post3.html

Over the the Charleston Group Notice this service, that for $10 you give them a list they will go shopping for you.

You also might want to look for a SAHM that would do this service for you. Or maybe a odler teenager who would provide a shopping/"Messenger" service

Old 04-29-2014, 12:49 PM

14,261 posts, read 24,004,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
http://www.city-data.com/forum/34543393-post3.html

Over the the Charleston Group Notice this service, that for $10 you give them a list they will go shopping for you.

You also might want to look for a SAHM that would do this service for you. Or maybe a odler teenager who would provide a shopping/"Messenger" service

I strongly agree with FLYONPA on this point.

Here are several ways that seniors in my family handle this situation. Your situation may vary as your situation is different.

1) My uncle and aunt take my father shipping when he has a large "stock up" trip planned.
2) My father calls up the grandchildren when he needs a "fill-in" or borrows from neighbors.
3) Some neighbors call the local "dial a ride" where they drive them to the market. The service is available 5 days a week.
4) One of the local "Helping Friends" affiliates arrange field trips to Trader Joe's and other specialty grocers MOST WEEKS..

In my neighborhood, we try to look out for our neighbors. When someone is sick and can't cook, we get meals there. If we are going to be out of town, people keep an eye on the place. I LOVE having seniors in my area. They stay home, keep an eye on the place and do not hesitate to call the police if there are any problems. (Of course, my father was detained once by the local police when he was entering out house (g). The neighbor did not recognize him!)

I am not opposed to Peapod, Schwan and other grocery delivery places. However, they are pretty limited in what zip codes they serve (i.e., high income) and they are pretty expensive.

Too bad I am not in your neighborhood. I love to grocery shop.

Old 04-29-2014, 02:00 PM

2,601 posts, read 5,296,825 times
> I think most people don't live close to shopping.

My point is- especially when you are retired- you CAN do this and there are real advantages. Doesn't have to be an urban area- can be the right location in the suburbs or in a small town.

It might be that there are more places within walking distance of shopping than offer grocery delivery.

> That's one of the reason they have cars.

Personally I use mine mostly for recreation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or