U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 04:37 PM

2 posts, read 1,853 times

Advertisements

I'm curious how it's worked out for those married people who have had one person retire and the other one continue working full time. My husband is retiring in a few months and I'm keeping my job, partly because I like what I do and also because I'm younger than he is and not eligible for S.S. yet. He's talking about spending time somewhere warm for a month this winter and I'm like Hello? I'm still working! Any feedback or pitfalls to avoid?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 04:49 PM

48,516 posts, read 84,032,619 times
I retired several years before wife as I am five years older and she wanted to continue working, Basically she said it made her life easier because I could handle things we had to schedule when we both worked. She encouraged me to enjoy my retirement saying her time would come.For example I was able to go hunting and fishing more than when working. This weekend she is headed to La. to a festival she and other female relatives enjoy together.We do things together and apart as always.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:51 PM

2,367 posts, read 1,640,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth Counselor View Post
I'm curious how it's worked out for those married people who have had one person retire and the other one continue working full time. My husband is retiring in a few months and I'm keeping my job, partly because I like what I do and also because I'm younger than he is and not eligible for S.S. yet. He's talking about spending time somewhere warm for a month this winter and I'm like Hello? I'm still working! Any feedback or pitfalls to avoid?
Is it not uncommon for you two to spend that much time away from each other? Although, if it was common for you to take long vacations away from each other, I guess there would be no point to this thread.

Can you relocate, or travel with him now, and let the career go? If you relocated to a warmer climate, you could possibly still do what you like to do.

Was he just joking or day-dreaming out loud?

Doesnt sound like he needs your income to survive. If that's the case, why not just pack up and go for an early retirement? He might be looking forward to spending some time with you while he still can. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You will also never know until you start talking to HIM about it.

Old 04-29-2014, 04:53 PM

787 posts, read 897,042 times
I am in the same position (wife is 28 years younger) and this is what I recommend!
1. Don't turn on the lights in the bedroom when getting ready for work.
2. Squeeze fresh orange juice or make a fruit salad every morning except weekends.
3. FRESH COFFEE PLEASE!
4. Don't call 10 times a day to see how I am doing.
5. Never come home in the afternoon without warning.
6. Tell him every day "seeing him happy, makes you happy".
7. When you get home and are making dinner, do not bore him with "work problems".
8. When packing his bags for Florida, be sure to pack extra sunblock.
Good luck, I've had two wives so far in retirement and have learned their like puppies, you must train them early!

Old 04-29-2014, 05:06 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,038,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineprince View Post
I am in the same position (wife is 28 years younger) and this is what I recommend!
2. Squeeze fresh orange juice or make a fruit salad every morning except weekends.
3. FRESH COFFEE PLEASE!
7. When you get home and are making dinner, do not bore him with "work problems".
Good luck, I've had two wives so far in retirement and have learned their like puppies, you must train them early!

This is just about as offensive a post as I've seen recently. And "Their [sic] like puppies" ?????
Here I was feeling all warm and fuzzy from another thread I posted, just beginning to believe that with age men really DO grow up and become partner material...

If your wife is 28 years your junior, and you expect the above from her, and think of her as a trainable dog, then I'm thinking you must have some big bucks.

Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

2,070 posts, read 2,038,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Is it not uncommon for you two to spend that much time away from each other? Although, if it was common for you to take long vacations away from each other, I guess there would be no point to this thread.

Can you relocate, or travel with him now, and let the career go? If you relocated to a warmer climate, you could possibly still do what you like to do.

Was he just joking or day-dreaming out loud?

Doesnt sound like he needs your income to survive. If that's the case, why not just pack up and go for an early retirement? He might be looking forward to spending some time with you while he still can. You never know what tomorrow will bring. You will also never know until you start talking to HIM about it.

OP, I am single but I do know that, were I in your position and loved and enjoyed my husband, I think I would be spending the time with him instead of continuing to work. If you are younger than him, and even if you weren't, there is just no guarantee as to how much time you have together. If he were to die before you felt you were old enough to retire, you would regret so much that you didn't take the time to be with him while you could. (This statement is assuming that there is not a financial reason for you to continue working).

Best of luck to you both.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:13 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth Counselor View Post
I'm older than dh and retired 18 months before he did. I was less worried about being solo retired than eventually adjusting to having him around all day when I'd been used to having the house and my schedule to myself. Turned out neither of us had problems adjusting to my earlier retirement or to his joining me.

I took several trips while he was still working, the longest was 10 days. Since he's retired, he's taken a couple of similar trips without me. It's all good for us and Skype and FaceTime are great. Truth be told I wouldn't mind having a month or so to myself, should he decide to be go away that long.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:14 PM

1,430 posts, read 2,575,821 times
Quote:
3. FRESH COFFEE PLEASE!
Do you teach them to speak English yourself, or does the agency take care of that?

Old 04-29-2014, 06:29 PM

10,824 posts, read 8,081,485 times
Quote:
3. FRESH COFFEE PLEASE!
You don't even want to know what's in that coffee. If you're lucky, she just spits in it.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:15 PM

787 posts, read 897,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
This is just about as offensive a post as I've seen recently. And "Their [sic] like puppies" ?????
Here I was feeling all warm and fuzzy from another thread I posted, just beginning to believe that with age men really DO grow up and become partner material...

If your wife is 28 years your junior, and you expect the above from her, and think of her as a trainable dog, then I'm thinking you must have some big bucks.
PMYMHMMFSWGAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakabedy View Post
Do you teach them to speak English yourself, or does the agency take care of that?
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
You don't even want to know what's in that coffee. If you're lucky, she just spits in it.
You guys/gals are to funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or