U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2014, 06:13 PM

241 posts, read 227,359 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
I think I'll start carrying a portable safe with me in case I win the lottery....I have about as much of a chance for that to happen as to be attacked by a wolf or moose. I have a permit to carry my gun, and I do when hiking alone in the mountains or when traveling on the road for a long distance, but otherwise it is safe at home.
That's a good point. I hope everyone who owns firearms has a safe at home. It also works well for personal belongings. DW has her jewelry and we keep our important papers/cash in there.

Keep an eye open for moose and squirrel....
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2014, 08:18 PM

9,600 posts, read 10,959,078 times
For those who love the Swiss Army Knife I'm happy to bring the news of a really good book on them. Learn all about them and what they have done and can do. For those who are connoisseurs of the arcane this will be a delight.

The Swiss Army Knife Owner's Manual: Michael M. Young: 9780615503516: Amazon.com: Books

Now let's take a look at a man whom the Guinness people call the "Human Swiss Army Knife". I'll link to the part of the website in English, but if you read French please view the whole website. There's much more. Some ideas are silly, but some make a good deal of sense.

ericlefou.net

Have you folks added anything anything to your EDC as a result of this thread? As I mentioned in a previous post, I bought a new SAK and a small pry bar. I found the following item yesterday. I'd just placed an Amazon order so I'll need to wait until I have a total of $25 since it's an add-on item. It's a belt pouch that should provide a good fit for my Kindle Paperwhite with the leather case. This would be a really good item for someone who uses a cane or canes, but likes to read in restaurants. It should fit a great many books as well.

Amazon.com: Rothco Black Utility Pouch: Sports & Outdoors

For foraging it might not be bad to have some seasonal items. Wild plants can be good; asparagus growing wild is really great. You can even find it in big cities. I think a weeding tool as well as a good knife and some plastic bags could be good items to carry in season. Mora knies represent an outstanding value and they have a multiplicity of uses. I have them in my kitchen as well as in my vehicles. The Hori Hori is great for house plants as well as the garden. Any trip to a botanic garden requires a sharp knife albeit a small one along with some plastic bags.

In 1972 I was frequently in Boston on business. I noticed many young women who were carrying large knives. It was legal because they weren't concealed. That's food for thought.

Amazon.com : Black & Decker Stainless Steel Weeder BD1529 : Hand Tillers : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Amazon.com: Morakniv Craftline Q Allround Fixed Blade Utility Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 3.8-Inch: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com : Japanese Hori Hori Garden Landscaping Digging Tool With Stainless Steel Blade & Sheath : Hunting Knives : Patio, Lawn & Garden

Old 05-20-2014, 11:10 AM

Now that hot weather is near many people, particularly the elderly, are gravely concerned about gangs of juvenile delinquets who may often be accompanied by older people. So, if you're stuck in one of explosive cities and fear for your life I have something for your consideration. -

You can do a search for tear gas at gunbroker.com; you may save the search. While you should still have guns on your person tear gas can often stop mob action against you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqy-l2maRJw

The story continues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC0wP1dJWyA

I wish that the old man had had a gun. We may be old and infirm, but we can resist. If this man can do it we can do it. Don't be a victim.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPCmefD7Lio

Engraved on the barrel of a Colt revolver from long ago:

"Whoever the foe,
No matter the size,
Call on me;
I will equalize."

Old 09-23-2014, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I can't imagine not having a Swiss Army Knife and I only have the tiny basic one. I use that sucker daily for something. It's on my keys.

I do think you have a point about the asprin, and if I can find a key type carry case.... I'll have that one next.

I also carry a INKA pen on my keys. I love that thing. It's an "astronaut" pen, so it can write any way. It's also got a yellow stick for tapping on devices, which I can't remember the name of it. Best of all it's SMALL. You can unclip it and write with it for a short burst, OR do a disassemble and screw it together and have a regulation sized pen that writes very nicely.
Inka - The Inka Pen

I use that couple times a week. I was very good at carrying just a wallet, till it tweaked my back. Back to a purse.
I bought an Inka pen after reading your recommendation; I like it. Thank you. I apparently repped you back then since today I received a message that I couldn't rep the same post twice.

We had a great discussion on car survival equipment but I can't recall on what thread. The EDC thread, however, will work for these two goodies I just found.

Wenger and Victorinox, the two firms that manufacture the Swiss Army Knife, merged a few years ago, but initially kept their separate lines. Recently, however, there's a new line of knives containing the best features of both, the sturdiness of Victorinox with the locking blade of Wenger. I've had a SwissChamp which I like very much but have wished that it had a locking blade. Well, now I can have it as well as a universal wrench tool for nuts of various sizes. It doesn't have the little hook, much discussed by people trying to figure out what its purpose is, but it seems to have almost everything else. The ruler and the fish scaler are now separate tools; there's a compass on the new ruler. It has an ergonomic handle. I found some reviews on youtube. They're all European; it's apparently been available there longer. It's branded Wenger in Europe and Victorinox here. I've been writing about the largest size, bu it's available in a variety of configurations including one with a cigar cutter. Amazon is carrying part of the line including the largest.

While looking at the reviews I saw a mention of Wenger lighters. They are extremely neat but aren't apparently yet sold outside of Europe. They are, however, listed on ebay. They're available in both butane ans fluid. Unlike a Zippo they're sealed so won't dry out because of evaporation. The fluid model has an integral reserve tank. They're certainly nicer than plastic Bics.

These are great for gearheads and those who must have the best. Think of them as stocking stuffers. When I looked at the cigar cutter model I wondered if Yakuza folks could use it to amputate fingers, but I fear it's too small.

One review is in Czech, but that will cause no problem. Honest!

Has anyone else found some good gear to mention. Let's not forget that winter is coming soon.

The last video isn't about gear, but I believe some will enjoy it.

Amazon.com : Victorinox Swiss Army EvoGrip S54 Swiss Army Knife : Sports & Outdoors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU_5F5t7nIE

Wenger Fidis Fuel Lighter in Red | eBay

Wenger Clava Gas Lighter in Satin Chrome Black | eBay

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gU_5F5t7nIE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlyVPCTaF2w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXUSlJPETOw

Old 07-02-2017, 07:27 PM

298 posts, read 151,261 times
Default ...concealed carry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Funny Post. I like guns, OK.

So in the last 30 years how often has your handy gun saved your butt?

Just curious. I carried a nice Ruger, single action revolver .357 with me all the time when I was in my 20s while hiking in the woods. Never really needed it. That was 35 years ago. Haven't carried a gun since 1980 and it turns out no need. I don't carry my HBP medication either. No stroke. Note where I live. We have bears, mtn lions and country where people die. Not from lack of guns, but of common sense.

Me thinks thou art a bit paranoid. I trust in the Lord, not guns or medication. I do carry what is prudent in winter and when I hike in the backcountry. God gave me a brain, but not the spirit of fear. But if carrying a gun gives you peace then fine! I have found it unnecessary.
I do not think anyone plans on getting assaulted. But I would bet most (if not all) assault victims wish they had SOMETHING for defense. I carry a concealed weapon and never worry about an assault. At the same time, I do not tempt fate by walking baldly into questionable situations. Carrying a firearm requires a great deal of responsibility and is not for everyone. I know it is for me. I also know that when I conceal carry, I give up the right to lose my temper in an encounter. I also know that if and when I draw my firearm, I am committed to taking the life of my assailant. The moral decision to take another person's life is made well in advance for the responsible concealed carrier.
You do not have time for moral judgements in the less than 2 seconds it takes for a bad guy to close & hurt you. Which is why your weapon needs to be locked and loaded with the safety on. You will have just enough time to switch OFF the safety and SAVE YOUR LIFE. You will react to the lowest level of your training and practice. And I am talking about drawing your weapon as well as practice firing at targets. There are many times a practiced shooter fumbled his pistol for a lack of practice drawing. This is important because everyone is scared when he or she is suddenly attacked. The adrenaline is flowing and it is easy to fumble things. With a clear conscience and much practice (drawing as well as firing), a person can be fairly prepared to counter an assault.
I have been carrying for over fifteen years. Twice, I reached behind my back to draw my pistol. And twice my would-be assailants turned and ran. Twice my life was spared. My common sense tells my to keep carrying.

adios mate

Old 07-02-2017, 07:33 PM

298 posts, read 151,261 times
Default ...concealed carry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
Funny Post. I like guns, OK.

So in the last 30 years how often has your handy gun saved your butt?

Just curious. I carried a nice Ruger, single action revolver .357 with me all the time when I was in my 20s while hiking in the woods. Never really needed it. That was 35 years ago. Haven't carried a gun since 1980 and it turns out no need. I don't carry my HBP medication either. No stroke. Note where I live. We have bears, mtn lions and country where people die. Not from lack of guns, but of common sense.

Me thinks thou art a bit paranoid. I trust in the Lord, not guns or medication. I do carry what is prudent in winter and when I hike in the backcountry. God gave me a brain, but not the spirit of fear. But if carrying a gun gives you peace then fine! I have found it unnecessary.
I do not think anyone plans on getting assaulted. But I would bet most (if not all) assault victims wish they had SOMETHING for defense. I carry a concealed weapon and never worry about an assault. At the same time, I do not tempt fate by walking baldly into questionable situations. Carrying a firearm requires a great deal of responsibility and is not for everyone. I know it is for me. I also know that when I conceal carry, I give up the right to lose my temper in an encounter. I also know that if and when I draw my firearm, I am committed to taking the life of my assailant. The moral decision to take another person's life is made well in advance for the responsible concealed carrier.
You do not have time for moral judgements in the less than 2 seconds it takes for a bad guy to close & hurt you. Which is why your weapon needs to be locked and loaded with the safety on. You will have just enough time to switch OFF the safety and SAVE YOUR LIFE. You will react to the lowest level of your training and practice. And I am talking about drawing your weapon as well as practice firing at targets. There are many times a practiced shooter fumbled his pistol for a lack of practice drawing. This is important because everyone is scared when he or she is suddenly attacked. The adrenaline is flowing and it is easy to fumble things. With a clear conscience and much practice (drawing as well as firing), a person can be fairly prepared to counter an assault.
I have been carrying for over fifteen years. Twice, I reached behind my back to draw my pistol. And twice my would-be assailants turned and ran. Twice my life was spared. My common sense tells my to keep carrying.

adios mate

Old 07-03-2017, 12:04 PM

787 posts, read 897,479 times
I carry a package of tissues to blow my nose and can be used if the public bathroom has no toilet paper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement