Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,157,947 times

Advertisements

My EDC for forays into the "wilds" of rural Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties:
  • cell phone
  • digital camera
  • garmin GPS
  • dog
  • dog leash
  • poop bags for dog
  • water in plastic jug for dog and me
  • water dish for dog
  • hat with bill to keep rain off my glasses
  • gloves
  • waterproof boots
  • windbreaker
  • rain poncho
  • insect repellent
  • reusable shopping bags
  • collapsible walking stick w/compass
  • lunch
  • lightweight fishing style vest to hold most of this crap
  • purse with wallet containing license, CCs, and DC
If I'm doing garden work on the farm, I may bring assorted hoes, shovels, wide-brimmed farmer hat, and other gardening necessities. If I'm going trail clearing, I bring my loppers and machete.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:28 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I have my original Kindle, but I prefer the Paperwhite. Besides, it has 3g so I can read a wikipedia article anywhere if I need to research something or if I'm reading a sample and decide to buy the book I can do it wherever I am. Many of the books I read are older works on technical subjects. If I switch to another Kindle it will be the DX or its successor. My Kindle is one of my most important possessions; I don't mind the weight at all. If I'm not in my home or truck I keep it in airplane mode unless I need to connect.
I don't disagree. The original Kindle (I have 2, including one that's 3G) is not the same as the same as the basic Kindle (I have 2 of those also). When I want 3G, I carry the original; when I just want to read, I tuck the basic in my cargo pants. The Paperwhite imo is a battery-hogging entertainment device . That you prefer it is okay but it's for sure not the device of choice for someone - like me - who prefers to pack and travel lightly.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,924,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
My EDC for forays into the "wilds" of rural Cattaraugus and Chautauqua Counties:
  • cell phone
  • digital camera
  • garmin GPS
  • dog
  • dog leash
  • poop bags for dog
  • water in plastic jug for dog and me
  • water dish for dog
  • hat with bill to keep rain off my glasses
  • gloves
  • waterproof boots
  • windbreaker
  • rain poncho
  • insect repellent
  • reusable shopping bags
  • collapsible walking stick w/compass
  • lunch
  • lightweight fishing style vest to hold most of this crap
  • purse with wallet containing license, CCs, and DC
If I'm doing garden work on the farm, I may bring assorted hoes, shovels, wide-brimmed farmer hat, and other gardening necessities. If I'm going trail clearing, I bring my loppers and machete.
You carry all this stuff everywhere you go, every day (EDC)?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:38 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,492,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
livecontent's post in our gun discussion on what he has been advised to carry prompted me to start this thread. Older people should always have not only necessary medications but certain tools as well.

We've had several productive discussions regarding both carrying guns and carrying emergency or survival supplies in vehicles. It seems reasonable now to discuss what we should have on our persons at all times to make our lives safe and with as little inconvenience as possible.

I decided years ago that I would never dress around my gun. T-shirts and sport shirts hanging out are simply unacceptable to me; a gentleman does not wear a T-shirt or leave his shirt untucked anytime. .
Funny Post. I like guns, OK.

So in the last 30 years how often has your handy gun saved your butt?

Just curious. I carried a nice Ruger, single action revolver .357 with me all the time when I was in my 20s while hiking in the woods. Never really needed it. That was 35 years ago. Haven't carried a gun since 1980 and it turns out no need. I don't carry my HBP medication either. No stroke. Note where I live. We have bears, mtn lions and country where people die. Not from lack of guns, but of common sense.

Me thinks thou art a bit paranoid. I trust in the Lord, not guns or medication. I do carry what is prudent in winter and when I hike in the backcountry. God gave me a brain, but not the spirit of fear. But if carrying a gun gives you peace then fine! I have found it unnecessary.

Last edited by Mr5150; 04-29-2014 at 08:24 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:42 PM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
One thing, carrying all the stuff around would be a good workout. Seems awfully heavy to me.

I take--purse with wallet that contains id and who to notify, kleenix, house and car keys, sunscreen in summer, nasal spray for allergies, pen and paper. I used to carry a mini jack knife but it seems to have disappeared. It came in handy for cutting flowers or opening packages. Maybe it's different for us women because we don't usually have pockets to rely on. We carry these purses and if we load them up they get pretty heavy to lug around, especially if you carry them over your shoulder.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,488,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr5150 View Post
But if carrying a gun gives you peace then fine! I have found it unnecessary.
This is true. Pondering it, I've never been to Wyoming so am in no position to judge what's necessary there.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:18 PM

15,633 posts, read 26,159,772 times
I can't imagine not having a Swiss Army Knife and I only have the tiny basic one. I use that sucker daily for something. It's on my keys.

I do think you have a point about the asprin, and if I can find a key type carry case.... I'll have that one next.

I also carry a INKA pen on my keys. I love that thing. It's an "astronaut" pen, so it can write any way. It's also got a yellow stick for tapping on devices, which I can't remember the name of it. Best of all it's SMALL. You can unclip it and write with it for a short burst, OR do a disassemble and screw it together and have a regulation sized pen that writes very nicely.
Inka - The Inka Pen

I use that couple times a week. I was very good at carrying just a wallet, till it tweaked my back. Back to a purse.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,492,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
This is true. Pondering it, I've never been to Wyoming so am in no position to judge what's necessary there.
I have been to Wyoming. Much safer than Urban areas of CA.

If you are curious you should Google the number of animal on human attacks in Wyoming. In the last 100 years under 20 in the last 50 years much less.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,703,560 times
I guess I travel light. In my daily walk, the only thing in my pocket is four keys on a single fobless ring. The car key, house key, my lady friend's security gate key and her front door key. Nothing else! I've left the house in the morning more than once without my wallet or any other type of ID. When at work, walking between buildings, I'll put my employer ID in my pocket. We are supposed to wear then, visible above the waist, and all that stuff...but I never do.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:28 PM

6,341 posts, read 7,703,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Pretty independent, self-reliant, self-sustaining bunch up there. Depending on where you are, snakes are probably the biggest 'danger'. If you really get off the beaten path, far away from civilization, (which is easy to do in Wyoming), then something more substantial would be worth carrying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement