U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 11:49 AM

3,491 posts, read 5,524,363 times

Advertisements

Let's see now. My everyday carry-on-person list is wallet, smartphone (with GPS), bandana, comb, small pocket knife (right now its an old Gerber LST), wristwatch and keys. On the key ring is a small flashlight. I usually also have a baseball cap and sunglasses. I probably should carry a disposable lighter, but since I no longer smoke I keep forgetting it.

Because I live in southern California and drive fairly long distances, my car is always equipped with everything I'd need to be comfortably self-reliant for up to five days. No firearms: just a hiking staff, a hatchet and a small bush-crafting knife.

Don't misunderstand; I have firearms and I know how to use them. If I thought that I might need to pack a firearm here in SoCal, I do believe I'd just stay home.

Last edited by Nighteyes; 04-30-2014 at 12:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 PM

18,794 posts, read 14,273,755 times
You don't want to carry so much weight on your car keys; it is tough on the ignition switch.
snopes.com: Too Many Keys Ruin Ignition

Old 04-30-2014, 12:52 PM

190 posts, read 153,975 times
I keep neosporin ointment, bandages, deet packettes, a small med info card with permission to treat, and ICE info in my ID wallet. I have a money wallet that I keep separate. I have to walk at night and want a distraction of bait money while I run, if caught in a bad situation.

I have a flipper Benchmade clipped to my right hand. Having a one-handed knife when I need to cut a cord that is being held with one hand makes life easier. I literally keep it sharper than a razor. I keep a Swiss with scissors, phillips head, and can opener in my pocket. A bright flashlight is clipped to my left pocket.

A smartphone and keys round it out. On my keychain, I keep a can with a few of my wifes meds.

In the summer, I try to have some electrolytes, in the winter, I add enough gear so survive in the cold while stranded including firestarters. I have a coat with enough added pockets to do this. Lastly, I carry a 9mm.

Ask yourself what makes sense in most used in everyday life and triage down until you are confident with what you have on hand. Seems like common sense to me.

Old 04-30-2014, 01:00 PM

698 posts, read 419,019 times
Travel light. If Godzilla attacks, it will help you to run away faster.

Old 04-30-2014, 02:16 PM

223 posts, read 274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
You don't want to carry so much weight on your car keys; it is tough on the ignition switch.
snopes.com: Too Many Keys Ruin Ignition
That is true! That is why I have a separate keychain that is essentially just several tools strung together obn one ring. It never gets near the car ignition because the car key isn't on it. It also stays in my purse, because I don't have to remove it from the bag unless I have a need for one of the tools.

My actual car keychain has a small LED light (Like a penlight), the alarm fob and a house key.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:33 PM

381 posts, read 352,562 times
I carry wallet, keys, brush and comb, hand lotion, two cell phones....all in a Patagonia Atom backpack....different color pack for each season. I can strap a raincoat or jacket to the front of the pack. I like to walk and observe wildlife (even in the city) and will very often carry a small pair of binoculars.

Old 05-01-2014, 04:06 AM

19,801 posts, read 19,900,285 times
I carry a 'kitchen sink' purse but some of you carry more in your pockets than I do in it!

Old 05-02-2014, 07:08 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
That is true! That is why I have a separate keychain that is essentially just several tools strung together obn one ring. It never gets near the car ignition because the car key isn't on it. It also stays in my purse, because I don't have to remove it from the bag unless I have a need for one of the tools.

My actual car keychain has a small LED light (Like a penlight), the alarm fob and a house key.
I am so glad this was mentioned, as I have waaaay too many things on my key chain (evidently!) I just added a bottle opener today! lol

Guess I better re-arrange my keys and do what you have done with a separate ring for all the "extra" things I have on my current key chain.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:02 PM

223 posts, read 274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I am so glad this was mentioned, as I have waaaay too many things on my key chain (evidently!) I just added a bottle opener today! lol

Guess I better re-arrange my keys and do what you have done with a separate ring for all the "extra" things I have on my current key chain.
My "extra" key ring came about because our family always traveled a lot. When you're staying in a vacation rental or a hotel, there is nothing worse than not having the tiny tools that we take for granted when at home. As a result, I began buying a new keychain tool as a souvenir of every trip. I have a really cute and useful nail clipper from Bermuda, LED flashlights from the Bahamas, a nice Canadian bottle opener with a maple leaf on it, a spark plug gapper from Daytona,a carabiner from Colorado, a paracord bracelet from the Adirondacks, a P-38 can opener from a tour of the armory that my dad used to run, etc... I'm not sure what I'll add to the collection next!

Old 05-03-2014, 04:26 AM

35,885 posts, read 67,172,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMartianChick View Post
My "extra" key ring came about because our family always traveled a lot. When you're staying in a vacation rental or a hotel, there is nothing worse than not having the tiny tools that we take for granted when at home. As a result, I began buying a new keychain tool as a souvenir of every trip. I have a really cute and useful nail clipper from Bermuda, LED flashlights from the Bahamas, a nice Canadian bottle opener with a maple leaf on it, a spark plug gapper from Daytona,a carabiner from Colorado, a paracord bracelet from the Adirondacks, a P-38 can opener from a tour of the armory that my dad used to run, etc... I'm not sure what I'll add to the collection next!
I am stoked now!

Going to pare down to an ignition and house key on one fob.

I already have the LED pen light, a carabiner (purple, from my son, lol), and added the small can opener yesterday. In addition, I have fingernail clippers, a tiny pill box, and my eyeglasses repair tools. I also have an authenticator (for Worlds of Warcraft), my alarm fob (for house security system).

Obviously, this collection of objects means my key chain (which is actually a small change purse with a key chain attached, is way too heavy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement