U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 05:47 AM

4,348 posts, read 6,062,523 times

Advertisements

If I'm out with my husband then all I have is my cellphone. If I'm out by myself or with friends it's just the usual girl/purse stuff. Certainly no gun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2014, 08:18 AM

14,628 posts, read 17,942,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
...Heat kills more people than all other weather hazards combined including tsunamis. Hot, humid climates are the worst. A supply of water including plenty to pour over your heads is a must. Old people die first...
We always keep a few bottles of water in the car. And at least one in the backpack when we're walking around a city and it's hot outside. Note that we spend almost zero time these days in rural/remote areas (you need to take different safety precautions when you're hiking in the dessert than you do at the local mall).

IMO - if someone winds up with some form of minor heat related problem (I do now occasionally but had more problems when I was doing something like playing tennis) - the best steps to take are to get to a shady place where you can sit down - take a wet room temp towel or two - and place them on your head and neck. Take some sips of room temp water. Until the nausea is gone. And then rest for a few hours - preferably in an air-conditioned place.

FWIW - I said "minor" because any person with half a brain should do a little research when dealing with a somewhat extreme and unfamiliar climate. Realize the possible dangers - and take precautions so that any problems are - at worst - minor. For example - being from a hot humid climate - it was difficult for me to grasp that one can get heat-related problems in an arid area without sweating one bit. But you can indeed go from feeling fine to having severe heat problems in Phoenix in August unless you're sucking on a water bottle all day. Robyn

Old 05-08-2014, 08:42 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
OK - here's what I carry in my (fairly small) purse. A wallet with money - credit cards and ID. Relatively thin. A small business card case with some business cards and health insurance cards. A small pack of Kleenex. Remote car thing for car with one house key attached. A small flip "dumb phone". A cigarette lighter and cigarettes and a small portable ashtray (the last is a common item in Japan - not in the US). A pen. A small nail file and comb (not sure why I carry the comb - I have very short hair). A small (4 x 4 x 1/2 inch) zip case that has a chapstick - some tooth picks and bandaids - and a nice little Case pocket knife (and 3 Canadian 2 dollar pieces I had apparently forgotten about). And a small number of grocery coupons in an old AMEX travelers checks folder. That's it. The whole thing including the purse weighs about 1 3/4 pounds (weighed it). I hate carrying heavy stuff around. Robyn
I've downsized my "carry", got rid of the purse, now it's a wristlet wallet. Just inventoried it:

iPhone
Drivers license
One credit card
Health insurance, AAA, AARP, funeral, and estate notification cards (all other cards are on iPhone)
A few bills in cash
Two blank checks
Tube of tinted lip gloss
Tin of clear lip gloss, also serves as cuticle moisturizer
Pack of facial powder sheets (to replace compact I used to carry)
Mini emery board
A few plastic soft gum picks
4 hearing aid batteries

When I don't have pockets to carry my car key, I string the wristlet loop through the keychain. Since our house has a keypad entry, I only carry one key. Sunglasses go on top of my head or tuck in my neckline.
I haven't carried a comb or brush in ages, finger-combing works fine.

Old 05-08-2014, 08:46 AM

9,584 posts, read 10,936,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

FWIW - I said "minor" because any person with half a brain should do a little research when dealing with a somewhat extreme and unfamiliar climate. Realize the possible dangers - and take precautions so that any problems are - at worst - minor. For example - being from a hot humid climate - it was difficult for me to grasp that one can get heat-related problems in an arid area without sweating one bit. But you can indeed go from feeling fine to having severe heat problems in Phoenix in August unless you're sucking on a water bottle all day. Robyn
People sweat just as much in the desert as in the swamps. But in low humidity the sweat evaporates and has a cooling effect. People only stop sweating in the heat when they're suffering from heat stroke. If your head ever becomes dry in a hot humid climate you better hope that there's a bathtub filled with icewater next to you. Heat stroke is just as dangerous as heart attack or stroke. Estimates of death from heat in Chicago in the week long heat wave of 1995 are over 700. Most of the victims were elderly and died in their homes. They were unwilling to spend the money to pay the electric costs of fans or air-conditioning and too frightened to even open windows. The majority were poor, but there was a case of a young female attorney who died while jogging in a black sweatsuit.

Chicago is very humid.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-08-2014, 09:46 PM

9,584 posts, read 10,936,973 times
Here's the perfect formal wear knife for the lady or gentleman of means.

Of course, but mine is dark blue, and no, I have never carried it. It's much too pretty.

Amazon.com : Victorinox Classic Gold Ingot : Folding Camping Knives : Sports & Outdoors

Old 05-09-2014, 09:06 AM

5,792 posts, read 4,846,494 times
Yikes! I can't believe everyone carries all this STUFF. My purse usually has my wallet, my glasses, lipstick (the 8 hour kind), MAYBE a nail file, and my keys. I carry my phone in my front pocket (or bra if pants have no pockets). If I want my hands free then I carry just cash, phone, keys, and ID in my pockets.

Now my glove compartment is a whole different story!

Old 05-09-2014, 09:35 AM

2,601 posts, read 1,232,100 times
I don't carry a purse anymore, and I don't carry a lot of stuff.

I pretty much wear jeans all the time. I carry my Kel-Tech P3AT in the right front pocket. My little pocket wallet big enough for money, my ID, a couple of band-aids, and one credit card is in the left jeans pocket. When I carry my cell phone, it's hooked on the waistband of my jeans. Usually, however, I just keep the cell phone in the car.

I don't wear make-up anymore, so that's not an issue. I do keep a brush for my hair in the glove compartment of my car; at least, I think it's still in there. Anyway, I've learned that I just don't need to carry a lot of things around with me anymore. When I was teaching school, I guess I needed to carry more, but for the past five retirement years I've really prioritized the things I carry--only what is absolutely needed.

Old 05-09-2014, 09:57 AM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by educator1953 View Post
I guess I needed to carry more, but for the past five retirement years I've really prioritized the things I carry--only what is absolutely needed.
Purse-and-carry downsizing could probably be a thread on it's own. It's liberating!

Old 05-09-2014, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I've downsized my "carry", got rid of the purse, now it's a wristlet wallet. Just inventoried it:

iPhone It
Drivers license
One credit card
Health insurance, AAA, AARP, funeral, and estate notification cards (all other cards are on iPhone)
A few bills in cash
Two blank checks
Tube of tinted lip gloss
Tin of clear lip gloss, also serves as cuticle moisturizer
Pack of facial powder sheets (to replace compact I used to carry)
Mini emery board
A few plastic soft gum picks
4 hearing aid batteries

When I don't have pockets to carry my car key, I string the wristlet loop through the keychain. Since our house has a keypad entry, I only carry one key. Sunglasses go on top of my head or tuck in my neckline.
I haven't carried a comb or brush in ages, finger-combing works fine.
How gloomy. Carrying around funeral and estate notification cards. Is there no one where you live who wouldn't know if you died "on the road"?

And I'd add a second credit card. Just in case. More likely you'll need a second credit card than a funeral card . Robyn

Old 05-09-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People sweat just as much in the desert as in the swamps. But in low humidity the sweat evaporates and has a cooling effect. People only stop sweating in the heat when they're suffering from heat stroke. If your head ever becomes dry in a hot humid climate you better hope that there's a bathtub filled with icewater next to you. Heat stroke is just as dangerous as heart attack or stroke. Estimates of death from heat in Chicago in the week long heat wave of 1995 are over 700. Most of the victims were elderly and died in their homes. They were unwilling to spend the money to pay the electric costs of fans or air-conditioning and too frightened to even open windows. The majority were poor, but there was a case of a young female attorney who died while jogging in a black sweatsuit.

Chicago is very humid.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I learned about a lot of this dessert stuff after my brother and his family moved to Scottsdale AZ. We visited places like Taliesen West in August (no A/C inside) and I got sicker there than I ever have playing tennis in Florida in August.

I don't know about the ice bath stuff when it comes to extreme hyperthermia. But - if you've had just a little too much heat - I think that room temp water (in any way shape or form - internal or external) is easier and less shocking to the body. For example - if I try to drink ice water - as opposed to room temp water - I get stomach cramps.

Wonder how we'll react to Singapore this year (it's hotter and even more humid than Florida)? Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement