Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2014, 02:03 PM

241 posts, read 272,014 times

Advertisements

Only black bears here and the main issue is in spring with new cubs. Neighbor got between said pair on his full size tractor and mama started attacking his front tire. He was armed but just backed off.

I am not afraid of wolf attack on person, just on dogs.

I would never shoot any animal (unless hunting) unless I thought it was the absolute last alternative. (maybe a boar, though)

Oh, and this relates to retirement in that we are going to do a lot more back woods hiking and camping in retirement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2014, 04:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,417,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Bear spray is far more effective than a gun when dealing with bears. But nerves of steel are helpful. If a grizzly charges there's a 99% chance that he'll break off the charge. But you can't turn and run; you need to stand your ground. Black bears are far more unpredictable. If a black bear attacks you must fight immediately. Bear experts recommend that you give a grizzly a little time to stop on his own. The only bear (too far away to determine species) I've ever seen on my property took off when I called my younger dog; my older one believed in discretion.

There is no record of a grizzly's attacking three or more in a group. That includes dogs. People are always advised to walk quietly if they wish to see wildlife. Wild animals, including bear, don't like noise. Most wild animals will take off at the sound of a gunshot; you don't need to hurt them.

There is no record in this country of a wolf attack on a human; they never come close enough to use bear spray.

There was a man walking hs dog one dark night in Colorado when something grabbed his dog. He hit the animal hard on its back and it ran. He then realized that he'd run off a mountain lion. Don't jog in lion country; they are drawn to running prey.

Never get between a mother moose and her calf; if she's standing where you planned to go, go somewhere else. Bulls are harmless except during rutting season.
Funny. We have bears here even in the JAX Beaches area (although very occasionally). Just figure if I see a bear in my back yard - I'll go inside and close the windows and doors. I treat the other wildlife here (from deer to snakes) the same way. Just get out of its way. Robyn

Old 05-15-2014, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Funny. We have bears here even in the JAX Beaches area (although very occasionally). Just figure if I see a bear in my back yard - I'll go inside and close the windows and doors. I treat the other wildlife here (from deer to snakes) the same way. Just get out of its way. Robyn
If I was in my backyard and my dogs were safe, I would go inside also.

Old 05-15-2014, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
Actually we think about being prepared. All cares have first aid kits and minimal survival stuff, especially in cold weather.

When walking the dogs in FL last week and hanging out in the park near the lake we were more than interested to hear a few stories of some aggressive alligators and dogs. Many of the locals carry while with their pets near water.

Once I have my CCW there I while have to consider carrying while walking the dogs. In the north I carry in the woods on my property for bear and wolves.
I live in Florida - and make that aggressive dogs and alligators. My golf course has a lot of alligators. You don't bother them - they don't bother you. And if you keep your yappy dogs away from them - the gators won't bother them either. Robyn

Old 05-15-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack_pine View Post
If I was in my backyard and my dogs were safe, I would go inside also.
So keep your frigging dogs inside. Your dogs aren't native to my neck of the woods - or most other areas of the US either. I don't think anyone should be entitled to use a gun to kill (mostly protected) wildlife to protect a frigging dog. Robyn

Old 05-15-2014, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
So keep your frigging dogs inside. Your dogs aren't native to my neck of the woods - or most other areas of the US either. I don't think anyone should be entitled to use a gun to kill (mostly protected) wildlife to protect a frigging dog. Robyn
Wow, relax. I am not attacking you, just having a conversation (I thought)

Old 05-15-2014, 05:58 PM

I'm totally relaxed. Then again - I'm not talking about carrying guns to protect a dog .

IMO - a person moves into a place - especially a wild and urban interface area

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildland%E2%80%93urban_interface)

and shouldn't destroy what's there. Whether it's trapping native animals you don't like - or shooting them with guns when they bother your pets. Like where my brother lives in Scottsdale - all the owners of these stupid little dogs are ready to kill all the local native animals like javelinas because "POOR PRECIOUS" can get killed by a javelina when going out to take a leak outside at night.

Note that I am far from a redneck or a big deal nature person. I just know what was here before I got here. And know that those native animals are entitled to priority in the scheme of things. Robyn

Old 05-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Have a nice evening.

Jack

Old 05-15-2014, 09:13 PM

14,229 posts, read 29,948,042 times
When I saw the title my first thought was Electric Daisy Carnival! But I do live in Vegas where it's usually held.

Old 05-18-2014, 10:32 AM

11,026 posts, read 9,659,351 times
I think I'll start carrying a portable safe with me in case I win the lottery....I have about as much of a chance for that to happen as to be attacked by a wolf or moose. I have a permit to carry my gun, and I do when hiking alone in the mountains or when traveling on the road for a long distance, but otherwise it is safe at home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement