Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2014, 07:11 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,513,602 times

Advertisements

livecontent's post in our gun discussion on what he has been advised to carry prompted me to start this thread. Older people should always have not only necessary medications but certain tools as well.

We've had several productive discussions regarding both carrying guns and carrying emergency or survival supplies in vehicles. It seems reasonable now to discuss what we should have on our persons at all times to make our lives safe and with as little inconvenience as possible. "EDC" simply means everyday carry; it's what you have in your pockets or securely attached to your clothing or body. This applies to women as well as men because purses can be lost or stolen. A vehicle is, of course, ideal for carrying necessities and conveniences, but we're not always with our vehicles. The question is what should we carry at all times. I'm not going to bother with wallets, keys, credit cards etc. Everyone carries these items; they require no comment.

I decided years ago that I would never dress around my gun. T-shirts and sport shirts hanging out are simply unacceptable to me; a gentleman does not wear a T-shirt or leave his shirt untucked anytime. I don't always wish to wear a jacket; reversed fanny packs are a dead give-away. But about twenty-five years ago made a very fortunate discovery. I was at a yard sale and saw three small pouches with both belt loops and carrying straps; I bought all three for a dollar. My initial thought was that they would be handy for carrying small items when hiking. Indeed they were, but their use was not limited to hiking. I found that one of the pouches worn on the belt is just the right size to hold a medium to large auto pistol without exciting any interest. There's an interior pocket which can hold extra magazines and other small items. Since there's a gun inside, however, these shouldn't be necessary items that may be needed in a publc place. This particular belt pack seems most useful when serving this dedicated function.

But what about other worthwhile items to carry. Every older person should carry aspirin to take immediately in the event of heart attack or stroke. Many health conditions require carrying specific medications. Then we have antiseptic wipes and first aid material. A medical alert necklace should present no problems; anyone who's alive has a neck. It can even share the neck with a knife or light gun suspended in a neck scabbard.

A keychain doesn't just work for keys. Mine sports a tiny Spyderco knife as well as two LRI flashlights, one red and one white. I keep the red between my two electronic door keys so I know which is which; I use the red when I can't disturb my night vision. The white LRI is brighter than my cell phone light and far more durable.

I'll describe now what I carry and how I do it; I hope you'll comment and share your methods. First, here's my list:

keys, change (which I rarely need), Chapstick, and fairly complete SAK (Swiss Army Knife) I keep these items loose in my left side pocket.

Smith & Wesson Model 638 This fits perfectly in my right side pocket. I generally restrict carrying the belt pouch I described to large cities, particularly those where I can't legally carry a gun. In that case, my Smith is either my primary or secondary BUG (backup gun). In chilly or cold weather I carry a Smith Model 649 in my right jacket pocket. It is just a touch larger than the other but has a stainless steel rather than an aluminum frame and is chambered for .357 magnum rather than .38 special.

If I'm wearing a jacket I carry my wallet in the left side pocket. Otherwise, I carry it in my left hip pocket when on foot or my center console when driving.

But there are other items I need. I carry bear spray when hiking but this thread is about urban kits. Backcountry kit discussions could fill hundreds of threads.

illuminated 5x magnifier
5-20x magnifier
30x illuminated magnifier
cell phone: small flip type
Kindle Paperwhite
Bic lighter (I don't smoke, however)
Zippo lighter fuel in small container (marvellous solvent)
extra ammo
needle nose pliers
duct tape

I've been replacing my regular chinos with cargo pants. LL Bean even makes some rather dressy examples. I use Maxpedition pocket organizers and small packs that are both Molle compatible and can be fitted with belt loops. Thet also fit well into lower cargo pants pockets. That's where I keep spare ammo as well.

Empty Altoids tins make fine little containers for pills, needles, wire etc.

Now, let's hear how you do it. What do you carry and how do you carry it? Let's make the unsafe world a bit less so during our twilight years.

I'm supplying a few links; follow the internal amazon links as well. youtube has a plethora of useful videos. Just search for Maxpedition and go from there.

MOLLE Pack and Pouches

Amazon.com: Maxpedition Anemone Compact Utility Pouch (OD Green): Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Maxpedition-3-...1RY7KXS1T74K7C

Amazon.com: LRI PWK Photon II LED Keychain Micro-Light, White Beam: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Zippo Fuel Canister: Sports & Outdoors

Amazon.com: Rite In The Rain 3X5 Kit - Tan #935T-KIT: Sports & Outdoors

http://www.amazon.com/Build-Perfect-...ids+containers

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-29-2014 at 07:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2014, 07:14 PM

3,602 posts, read 7,850,061 times
> We've had several productive discussions regarding ...carrying guns

I think we'll have to disagree about that.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:23 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,464,762 times
Anyone who spends that much time pondering the superficial aspects of carrying guns and medication has a serious problem than neither will fix.

Old 04-29-2014, 07:27 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,896,279 times
Wyoming, I'd love to see a full photo of you in your gear. Can you post one?

Old 04-29-2014, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rational1 View Post
> We've had several productive discussions regarding ...carrying guns

I think we'll have to disagree about that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Anyone who spends that much time pondering the superficial aspects of carrying guns and medication has a serious problem than neither will fix.
Here are two who either didn't read the entire post or were outraged because I carry a reading device rather than entertinment devices.

Last edited by Happy in Wyoming; 04-29-2014 at 07:40 PM..

Old 04-29-2014, 07:47 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,464,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Here are two who either didn't read the entire post or were outraged because I carry a reading device rather than entertinment devices.
Actually I wondered why you carry a Kindle paperwhite when the basic Kindle is not only way smaller and lighter but has double the battery life.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Wyoming, I'd love to see a full photo of you in your gear. Can you post one?
I'll work on that. I suppose I could mount my camera on a tripod and use the self-timer.

But if you saw me on the street you'd wouldn't think twice about me. I just look like a wornout and overweight version of a model in the LL Bean catalog. If I eat out I prefer to do so alone and I'm either reading a book or from my Kindle. I like to blend into my environment.

Here's another item thats both high quality and an outstanding value, a stainless steel knife from Mora. It will sometimes fit into the pocket of cargo pants. I do carry a small but excellent knife sharpener as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Morakniv-Craft...nife+stainless

Amazon.com: Smith's PP1 Pocket Pal Multifunction Sharpener: Home Improvement

Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 PM

5,279 posts, read 5,949,500 times
I carry a state issued card in my wallet that directs anyone who finds my corpse to notify the Anatomical Board in Maryland for transport, or, if my corpse is found out of state, to deliver it to the nearest Medical School.

I think that about covers it.

Old 04-29-2014, 08:09 PM

1,180 posts, read 2,909,000 times
or perhaps you could use those pouches you bought at a yardsale to carry feminine products instead of bullets

Old 04-29-2014, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Actually I wondered why you carry a Kindle paperwhite when the basic Kindle is not only way smaller and lighter but has double the battery life.
I have my original Kindle, but I prefer the Paperwhite. Besides, it has 3g so I can read a wikipedia article anywhere if I need to research something or if I'm reading a sample and decide to buy the book I can do it wherever I am. Many of the books I read are older works on technical subjects. My Kindle is one of my most important possessions; I don't mind the weight at all. If I'm not in my home or truck I keep it in airplane mode unless I need to connect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement