Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2014, 04:53 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Proximity to the Yellowstone caldera.
Boom.
Ah, yes. Forgot about that. Very Big Boom !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2014, 09:53 AM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Back in the days of C-rations, a pair of Japanese children's hashi purchased in Yokohama in 1956 (I still have them) fit well in an ammo pouch along with other handy things to enhance field dining and living like extra toilet paper packets, hot sauce, garlic powder, etc. Helped with LRRPs as well.
What??? No racing spoon?

Old 05-05-2014, 06:00 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
What kind of interesting things happen in Wyoming?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Proximity to the Yellowstone caldera.
Boom.
Quote:
Ah, yes. Forgot about that. Very Big Boom !
There are those who say that since it's been six hundred thousand years since the last eruption it's going to happen again very soon. There's all sorts of internet documentation to prove that it's getting ready to erupt again. Most of these emphasize the increasing frequency and magnitude earthquakes.

But this isn't true. Seismic activity has varied greatly ove the years. There was a major earthquake in the park in 1959. Being caught near it would have been nasty and there were some deaths as it was tourist season. Vulcanologists can predict eruptions weeks or months in advance, e.g., Mt. Saint Helens. Based upon previous eruptions dating back 2.4 million years the ash will move east and spread. SW Missouri may not be spared. Ash from the last eruption reached Iowa. North American civilization would be effectively be obliterated. Effects could be worldwide in the Northern Hemisphere. I'm actually in what should be a good spot. I can drive around the caldera and travel west to areas not affected in previous eruptions. Should the wind pattern be unique with continental east winds I can drive into the wind.

However, its not likely to happen in the next few years although it is more likely than having an asteroid crash into the earth. I could build a shelter with big air filters and a food supply to last two years; I'd perhaps survive in situ.

We don't really have much damaging weather around here either. Wind gusts within a hundred miles have measured over 120 mph. There was a house fire where winds were a bit over that. The house was gone in a few minutes. But every year I have 80 mph winds with no ill effect. That's why I do sneer at easterners who made a big deal of a rain storm in October, 2012; the winds there didn't exceed 70 mph.

We should have anoher thread devoted to survival gear for the home as well as a thread for vehicle supplies. Another good one would be about foraging for the elderly.

Old 05-06-2014, 06:28 PM

3,490 posts, read 6,510,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Another good one would be about foraging for the elderly.
Noting where you live, I'd like to add "assuming that you live thru the catastrophe..."

Should the Yellowstone Caldera go 'boom', I'm afraid you may not live through it. Though I am considerably west of you, neither might I, or any of mine, live through it (for very long at least...).

"Can you say 'Life-Extinction-Event'?? I knew you could!"

Old 05-07-2014, 08:11 AM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
...Another good one would be about foraging for the elderly.
That's a cheery thought (my idea of foraging is hitting the sales racks in department stores after Christmas ). And I'm glad I'm not married to any of you guys here. Because my handbag would wind up weighing about 25 pounds!

OTOH - I do not live in a rural area. Or drive in snow storms on roads that can get iced over. Or similar. But I am in biscuitmom's camp in terms of having "emergency" stuff at home that's appropriate for nasty things that might happen where I live (windstorm being the most likely - but we're on the fringe of an earthquake fault area as well). Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
That's a cheery thought (my idea of foraging is hitting the sales racks in department stores after Christmas ). And I'm glad I'm not married to any of you guys here. Because my handbag would wind up weighing about 25 pounds!

OTOH - I do not live in a rural area. Or drive in snow storms on roads that can get iced over. Or similar. But I am in biscuitmom's camp in terms of having "emergency" stuff at home that's appropriate for nasty things that might happen where I live (windstorm being the most likely - but we're on the fringe of an earthquake fault area as well). Robyn
What do you do if you break a nail in a department store? If you have things to fix it that you carry all of the time those things are part of your EDC.

Old 05-07-2014, 03:22 PM

Quote:
What do you do if you break a nail in a department store? If you have things to fix it that you carry all of the time those things are part of your EDC.
OK - here's what I carry in my (fairly small) purse. A wallet with money - credit cards and ID. Relatively thin. A small business card case with some business cards and health insurance cards. A small pack of Kleenex. Remote car thing for car with one house key attached. A small flip "dumb phone". A cigarette lighter and cigarettes and a small portable ashtray (the last is a common item in Japan - not in the US). A pen. A small nail file and comb (not sure why I carry the comb - I have very short hair). A small (4 x 4 x 1/2 inch) zip case that has a chapstick - some tooth picks and bandaids - and a nice little Case pocket knife (and 3 Canadian 2 dollar pieces I had apparently forgotten about). And a small number of grocery coupons in an old AMEX travelers checks folder. That's it. The whole thing including the purse weighs about 1 3/4 pounds (weighed it). I hate carrying heavy stuff around. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 03:44 PM

The heavy thing I *do* have is my golf tote. Not my golf bag - which is really heavy. The tote where I carry extra golf balls - golf gloves - a hat - sunscreen - extra tees and ball markers - a copy of the rules of golf - bug spray - a towel/bottle of water if I'm playing a course that doesn't supply them (my home course does) - sometimes a sweatshirt or a pair of shorts/pants if I think the weather will be changeable - a golf GPS - and an extra pair of socks and shoes if it might be really wet outside. But I call this my "golf tote" - not my EDC .

FWIW - when it comes to the gun thing. We were in Houston last week. And just about every place we went to (including restaurants) had signs saying it was illegal to bring guns inside - there was a $10k fine - etc. Don't know whether that's a common law around the country - or whether it's just necessary to post signs to that effect in Texas . I try to stay away from areas where I think I need a gun to protect myself.

Also FWIW - my husband and I did spend 4 months driving through the "mountain" states one winter. Even on an interstate - you can be in pretty remote areas (in terms of not being near help if necessary). We did wind up with a winter "emergency kit" in our car then - something we obviously don't need at home.

Also - instead of the cargo pants stuff - have you thought of getting a nice backpack or similarly "manly" thing to pack your stuff in? I have an excellent one I picked up in Japan (great styling - excellent workmanship) that I use when we're traipsing around cities on a trip. The kind of thing that can hold guidebooks - maps - articles of clothing we might need during the day - etc. It's much easier not having to move stuff from here to there all the time. Also minimizes the possibilities of forgetting something - as well as having your billfold wind up in the washing machine. Robyn

Old 05-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
OK - here's what I carry in my (fairly small) purse. A wallet with money - credit cards and ID. Relatively thin. A small business card case with some business cards and health insurance cards. A small pack of Kleenex. Remote car thing for car with one house key attached. A small flip "dumb phone". A cigarette lighter and cigarettes and a small portable ashtray (the last is a common item in Japan - not in the US). A pen. A small nail file and comb (not sure why I carry the comb - I have very short hair). A small (4 x 4 x 1/2 inch) zip case that has a chapstick - some tooth picks and bandaids - and a nice little Case pocket knife (and 3 Canadian 2 dollar pieces I had apparently forgotten about). And a small number of grocery coupons in an old AMEX travelers checks folder. That's it. The whole thing including the purse weighs about 1 3/4 pounds (weighed it). I hate carrying heavy stuff around. Robyn
That seems normal enough. I also have my AAA card and a Swiss Army Knife, Sportsman, which has scissors, file, and much more. I should have mentioned one item earlier that has several times saved the day. That item is a paper clip. If I lose a screw in my glasses it provides a simple and immediate remedy. Changing a screw sitting in a car is a pain.

Quote:

FWIW - when it comes to the gun thing. We were in Houston last week. And just about every place we went to (including restaurants) had signs saying it was illegal to bring guns inside - there was a $10k fine - etc. Don't know whether that's a common law around the country - or whether it's just necessary to post signs to that effect in Texas . I try to stay away from areas where I think I need a gun to protect myself.
I believe that law is unique to Texas. It makes it a crime to carry a gun into any establishment where the merchant has posted a sign of specific size and wording. I wouldn't patronize an establishment that cared nothing for my safety. I live where I can legally carry a gun into the courthouse.

Quote:
Also FWIW - my husband and I did spend 4 months driving through the "mountain" states one winter. Even on an interstate - you can be in pretty remote areas (in terms of not being near help if necessary). We did wind up with a winter "emergency kit" in our car then - something we obviously don't need at home.
Heat kills more people than all other weather hazards combined including tsunamis. Hot, humid climates are the worst. A supply of water including plenty to pour over your heads is a must. Old people die first.

Quote:
Also - instead of the cargo pants stuff - have you thought of getting a nice backpack or similarly "manly" thing to pack your stuff in? I have an excellent one I picked up in Japan (great styling - excellent workmanship) that I use when we're traipsing around cities on a trip. The kind of thing that can hold guidebooks - maps - articles of clothing we might need during the day - etc. It's much easier not having to move stuff from here to there all the time. Also minimizes the possibilities of forgetting something - as well as having your billfold wind up in the washing machine. Robyn
I keep my EDC attached. How could I wear a pack while driving? Small belt pouches are OK, however. I wear a pack when I'm hiking, never when I go to town.

I've never put my wallet in the washer. I have done this twice with cellphones. They were both under warranty so I returned them UPS when I received the new phone and shipping label. That avoided any embarassing inspection. I was surprised that the water didn't hurt the battery in the least.

Old 05-07-2014, 08:57 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,159 times
My EDC is, let me look:
Right front pocket 47 cents
Left front pocket, keys
Right rear Pocket, wallet
Left rear pocket, nothing
Shirt pocket, cell phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement