U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:42 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,540,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
I remember when I was in school there was a guy taking Comp Sci. He had this huge card stack for a long gnarly program. Suffice it to say, he tripped and it flew. I think he was on the verge of tears.

You only trusted a few rubber bands for a short while, and turned to more and a good sturdy box and in the back pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayAreaHillbilly View Post
Dang I love this thread.

Anyone remember the book "Soul of a New Machine?"
We had a systems class we had to take and that was one of the books. The one I remember most was the one which explained why women made good 'organizers' in a programming group which was the 'mother' function, but he didn't think they should ever head one. Ohhhh steam was rising.

One day we went to the top floor of the library and watched the Forbin Project together in this little room. Looked askanse at the ops door when we went back to class.

Old 04-30-2014, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
I'm surprised you're surprised.

The computer is just another appliance that we use. There's a lot of us out here that have no interest in understanding how an appliance works. If the computer (or stove or dishwasher or air conditioner or whatever) doesn't work, we call a repairman.

As to the OP's question - I started using an accounting program in DOS in the mid to late 80's. I bought my first home PC in 1990 with Windows 3.0
Now me, having written accounting systems in Cobol, really want a programming language you can compile on a pc which gives you an ability to write your own systems. I loved programming if you could leave out the idiot users. No, the whole punch room cannot wait while your little stack of cards gets run that you need this afternoon...

Old 04-30-2014, 06:16 PM

6,048 posts, read 3,870,699 times
Missile systems, Army, Huntsville, late 70s. Very sophisticated for the times.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:32 PM

4,855 posts, read 3,380,853 times
On the job in the insurance industry probably in the mid 90's.

Old 04-30-2014, 06:40 PM

490 posts, read 894,698 times
I'm 65 and I've been using computers at home for something like 20 years. Trial and error, I taught myself.

Old 04-30-2014, 07:57 PM

957 posts, read 1,940,738 times
My suggestion would be a combination of these three:
1. Go to computer classes at your local library, these are usually free, and you will be with other newbies.
2. "Dummies" books, these are written in normal language and are easy to understand. I used one when I was new to computers and found it very helpful.
3. Just play around on it. Don't be afraid of it, you won't destroy anything.

Good Luck!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:50 PM
Q44

895 posts, read 765,504 times
1976, was selected with a few others in HS to learn COBOL in a program we had with IBM. Punch cards and syntax errors. Didn't major in CS but took Fortran, PL1 and Pascal in college. When I worked for Chase in the early 80's they covered tuition so I went for a Certificate in COBOL. I bought my first PC because NYU would let you upload and compile from home. Used that blistering fast 300/1200 baud modem.

How many young people have any idea what we went through with dial up modems or loading DOS from a disk???

In the 90's I started going for PC and LAN certifications. CompTia, Microsoft and Cisco. I've been a department manager now for years and just tell other people what to do. I do enjoy showing off for my kids though when they have a laptop or network connection problem.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:11 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,279,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David223 View Post
I'm 65 and I've been using computers at home for something like 20 years. Trial and error, I taught myself.
73 here. But same story Trial and error

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 04-30-2014, 09:37 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,138,000 times
Over 20 years ago I bought an ancient set from a fellow who had several friends who were into computers. it was loaded with different programs. The os was not windows, nor was it color. I learned Word Perfect.

Before that, I took a course at the library in operating a pc. At one time in college a math class went to the engineering building and we worked problems on the computer that seemed to fill the room. And the first time I heard the description word processor, I wanted one and soon learned part of a computer was a word processor.

My brother told me not to try to learn what made it tick, to just accept that it could do certain things and not to be concerned with the whys and wherefores. To some extent that's how it is, but eventually I built my own and used it for over nine years. Only recently have I had to change and give up the one built.
I would hate not being computer literate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or