U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 03:33 PM

223 posts, read 274,206 times

Advertisements

I used a computer briefly in 1986 while working on a school magazine. It was an Apple computer and was one of 3 in our entire school. At that time, kids could opt to take a typing class which was taught on an IBM Electrographic typewriter.

I got a job in 1996 that required some computing ability, but the company taught me what I needed to know to accomplish my work in DOS.

I bought my own Windows-based PC in 1997. It was very different from my work computer and I was determined to learn all that I could. The day after I got it, I logged onto the internet through AOL dial-up and began to click on news stories. When I clicked on my 3rd story, the screen went black and I began to panic. I called the person who had built the system for me and began to explain what had happened. He began to question me in an attempt to troubleshoot over the phone. Within 30 seconds I was up and running again...even if I was more than a bit embarrassed. It seems that I accidentally kicked the surge protector under the desk and flipped the switch on it!

He explained that I wasn't likely to "break" the computer and I took him at his word. I taught myself to do lots of things over the next 3 years. I learned to use HTML code from an online website and built advertising banners and websites. When I began to work for a nonprofit organization as a business consultant, they paid to get me certified in a lot of Microsoft programs so that I could teach them in workshops.

I've continued to learn to do just about everything that I can think of since that time. I didn't do it because I wanted to learn all of those things, but because my clients needed me to learn them. Today, I'm pretty proficient at desktop publishing, graphic design, graphic manipulation and more. Those skills enabled me to be able to work from home during the past few years and I am extremely grateful for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2014, 04:35 PM

8,872 posts, read 13,541,035 times
I was working for a Fortune 100 company when desktop computers began cropping up in offices. I was given an IBM 5150 with a single floppy disk drive in 1981 because I worked in strategic planning. Our secretaries got Wang word processors. The department shared a printer (which is how I found out my boss was having an affair with one of my co-workers, lol).

The corporation gave us some classes to teach us how to use them, but we had an IT department established immediately that provided tech support. So I didn't learn how to take care of a computer until I got one at home, where I couldn't call a technician every time I had a problem. I began to teach myself at that point.

I'm still learning. For the past week I've been trying to get rid of malware that is polluting my screen with unwanted videos and pop-ups from "GetSavin" and "Adpeak," among others. I have Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and SpyBot on my computer. None of it is helping. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 05-01-2014, 04:43 PM

223 posts, read 274,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
I'm still learning. For the past week I've been trying to get rid of malware that is polluting my screen with unwanted videos and pop-ups from "GetSavin" and "Adpeak," among others. I have Norton Antivirus, Malwarebytes, CCleaner, and SpyBot on my computer. None of it is helping. Anyone have any ideas?
Have you seen this for help in removing Adpeak?

Adware.Adpeak Removal - Removing Help | Symantec

Old 05-01-2014, 04:55 PM

1,144 posts, read 1,823,367 times
I learned on the job and took to it like a fish to water. My father started using a computer in his 70s, he took some classes at adult ed and would on occasions call my brother or I for a little help. The places that come to mind would be adult ed, your public library or if you have an active senior center near you. There are also the Dummy books which you may find very helpful. I wouldn't purchase anything too technical if you're just learning. Hope that helps.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:47 PM

11,929 posts, read 20,372,953 times
I can also remember when we ditched AOL. I was calling tech support for an ongoing issue (that they never did solve, although I can't remember what on earth it was) and the guy was going through "the script" of how to look for issues that we had been through over and over and over already and I said -- Listen, can we ditch all this? My computer is plugged in, I'm not one of those people that think the CD drive is the cupholder and the I know the mouse is NOT a foot pedal.

The guy at the other end of the line remained quiet... and then admitted he was one of those who had thought that.

At that point I knew -- if that was the quality of help they were hiring, we were NEVER going to get this resolved. I made the decision it was time to cut the AOL cord. Within a week we were done.

Old 05-01-2014, 07:06 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,024,246 times
In 1st grade (1992).

We started out learning how to type and played a few math-oriented games. For fun, we were allowed to play the computer game Oregon Trail, on Fridays.

Typing classes were available in middle school (7th and 8th grades) for those wishing to refine their speed; say improving from 50 wpm to 75 wpm, etc.

By 9th grade, we had computer science and web mastering. Comp Sci was perfect for those interesting in programming or even software engineering. Web mastering mostly taught HTML code concepts and how to create basic web pages.

Old 05-01-2014, 11:07 PM

39,522 posts, read 47,675,353 times
In 1992 the company I worked for installed computers so I went to the local Community College and took all the basic courses. From then on it was hunt and peck and learn as you go.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:48 AM

361 posts, read 620,852 times
In the 1970s and 1980s, worked on mainframe terminals...
Also the Wang!
First PC in late 1980s.
How much a part of our lives they have become!...

Old 05-02-2014, 08:37 AM

19,823 posts, read 18,826,487 times
and a big THANK YOU to my old junior high that required typing for everyone, male and female. "When you get to college your mother won't be there to type your term paper."

No one had even heard of computers, not in the way we think of them anyway, but those teachers turned out to be well ahead of their time.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:58 AM
Q44

895 posts, read 764,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

You almost have too many virus protections, that in itself can cause a problem. Personally I would remove SpyBot. Also if you start the PC the regualr way it's too late for your protection to take affect because your malware has already started. Many of them won't let you update your protection either to avoid removal.

I use the following process: First get a thumb drive and from a non-affected PC get the most up-to-date version of Malwarebytes you can and load it the thumb drive. Once you have it, start the infected PC in Safe Mode, if you're not familiar, it will start your PC with only the absolute basics. Depending on which version of Windows you're using you'll either toggle the F8 button or hold it down before it starts up. Take the option to start without Networking, keeps it very simple. Once you reach your start page insert the thumb drive with Malewarebytes and re-install the latest version. Once installed run MWB full scan. It should do the trick to remove any virus, trojans, malware . . . Delete anything that's been quarantined.

Afterwards, you should restart normally and run Live Update on Norton and run another full scan.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or