U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2014, 12:11 PM

8,600 posts, read 6,172,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
I'm not going to ask this on the tech forum: I strongly suspect the posters there never lived without a computer.

So did one of your kids/grandkids show you? Did you take classes someplace? Did it come naturally
or does your mind go into system overload when someone talks to you about cookies, applets, upgrades, and such?
Bought a VIC 20 in 1982 and a Commodore 64 the next year....and was immediately hooked and absolutely fascinated by what they could do. Bought the full programming manual for Commodore Basic soon after and began programming games that the kids and I played on the 64.

Some of those early commercially distributed games for the 64 were terrific - and better in concept than lots of modern stuff.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2014, 02:01 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,538,376 times
When I was assigned to the Pentagon in 1975 I was sent to a two-day course on a computer system. Back then a computer still filled an entire room and it spoke to you on a printer. In 1983, a year after they were introduced, I bought a Commodore 64 complete with modem and printer. Simple word processing made simple and games were easy.

In 1990 I started the process of self-educating myself on an IBM laptop and Word Perfect. In 1992 I was transitioned to a Mac and the beginnings of Word, icons, click-and-drag, etc., as well as the Internet. In 1997 it was back to IBMs with right-click and most of today's operating systems, fledgling as I think they were then and the rest is history.

What was the question again?

Old 05-02-2014, 02:40 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,586,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
I can also remember when we ditched AOL. I was calling tech support for an ongoing issue (that they never did solve, although I can't remember what on earth it was) and the guy was going through "the script" of how to look for issues that we had been through over and over and over already and I said -- Listen, can we ditch all this? My computer is plugged in, I'm not one of those people that think the CD drive is the cupholder and the I know the mouse is NOT a foot pedal.

The guy at the other end of the line remained quiet... and then admitted he was one of those who had thought that.

At that point I knew -- if that was the quality of help they were hiring, we were NEVER going to get this resolved. I made the decision it was time to cut the AOL cord. Within a week we were done.
Once inbetween moves I had to store my desktop with a neighbor. When I got it back AOL was all over the place, and links to questionable places. My roomate knew how to remove it but I still found functions which AOL had taken over later and had to be 'selected out'. Ugh... horrible system. Compuserve just conviently crashed after most of a download so you paid for more minutes, and took six months and tearing up the card authorizing the bank to pay them to cancel.

I miss bbs's. They were slow but they were also local and we did end up meeting some of the faces behind the screen names.

Sometimes I think about how in 78 I started my first programming class, and was hooked, and a few years later found bbs's and changed my worldview and wonder how differently I see the world now than I did then.

Old 05-02-2014, 08:44 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,180,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
I started using Mosaic in 1994. It came out in 1993, so I was a pretty early adopter and I immediately knew it would be something.
So I'm about 10 years your senior (and then some). I not only jumped on Mosaic when it first hit I worked at some big names that helped make the web happen. Actually, at that point I'd been working infrastructure including the overall "packet switching" networks, that would ultimately make the internet hum, for a few years. Back to Mosaic / the web ... I have to confess that I was an early web addict, went almost to rock bottom, then grew out of it, years before the average person was on line. Glad I got that out of my system when I did!

Last edited by BayAreaHillbilly; 05-02-2014 at 08:53 PM..

Old 05-02-2014, 10:50 PM

22,025 posts, read 14,467,171 times
We bought our first computer in the '80s, using a company incentive. We upgraded a couple of times, and I learned to do work processing on a free program. (Can't remember the name.) I wanted to be able to search, and we bought Compuserve, I think. Oh, I wanted to be able to do searching so bad! We eventually got another computer, and had Netscape. I loved using Alta Vista--anyone remember that search engine?

At work they finally got us personal computers, and I used mine for everything, including doing searches for the public. I got pretty good at it. I also became acquainted with Word, and I used Excel for formatting. (I am not a good Excel user though.)

For awhile I experimented with some of the print and graphics software, and did some very basic photo work.

I don't do any of that now, but I love having access to the internet, and I search frequently. I keep up with interests via blogs of various sorts, and news sites. I am not interested in Twitter, and barely have a presence on Facebook.

I learned a lot from one of my kids, from the tech service people where I worked, and from messing around. I love my Ipad, and I use my smartphone for multiple tasks, including texting. Like others of my generation, I have had to learn to text because that is how my kids communicate.

I don't know how we ever got along without email.

Old 05-02-2014, 11:46 PM

15,150 posts, read 19,808,585 times
Back in 1996 my adult daughter sent me a home-built computer. I'd never used a computer and was terrified to try it -- so it sat, unopened, in the box for weeks. One day her husband called and laughed at me, saying he knew I'd never even try it.

That was all the motivation I needed. I unboxed it and, on my own, figured out how to set it up and use it. I've had several computers since then and always figured everything about setup and use on my own. I'm still pretty computer-illiterate but I can do whatall I need to do (internet, email, photos, games, etc) on it.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:56 AM

1,004 posts, read 1,186,986 times
I was a news-photographer for about 28 years.
I used beta/camera format to shoot/edit my videos.
Last 2 years, the station went to computer cameras.

We had a tutor for one week to show us the basics.
I never had training for computers in high school.
They didn't exist !

My shooting skills were no problem.
It was the transferring of the camera chip with the
video & narration to the computer back at the base.
That was a total nightmare.
I had the daily 5 o'clock news deadline to meet.

Some of the younger guys who had school training helped.
But they had to worry about their own stories to edit.
I mostly did basic editing with no special effects .

Two years ago I bought a computer after finally convincing
my wife that it would be useful at home.

It took a while to understand the language of computers.
It can be frustrating if I let it.
There has been long hours into the night that I stay up
until I figure out what mac is trying to tell me.
Being retired, I can afford to stay up late .
My wife says that I'm becoming a self taught geek...

BTW: The best part is not having to get up in the early cold
mornings to go to work. I can stay in my nice cozy bed .
And Sunday nights & Monday mornings feel different in a nice
way.
I'm sure some of you know this already !

Last edited by ranchodrive; 05-03-2014 at 01:08 AM..

Old 05-03-2014, 05:17 PM

22,025 posts, read 14,467,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
and a big THANK YOU to my old junior high that required typing for everyone, male and female. "When you get to college your mother won't be there to type your term paper."

No one had even heard of computers, not in the way we think of them anyway, but those teachers turned out to be well ahead of their time.
I took typing in HS and I am so thankful that I did. But I didn't type much of anything for a couple of decades. Nevertheless, my skill came back. Although I am a lousy typist, at least I know how. I remember very well how laborious it was to correct a mistake on a typewriter. Anyone else remember erasable paper for typing long term papers?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:42 PM

15,511 posts, read 13,317,313 times
Anybody remember the Sinclair computer?

No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks

MODERATOR OF: Buddhism: Judaism: Paganism:

When in doubt read the TOS MOD LIST FAQ's

Old 05-05-2014, 10:17 AM

6,077 posts, read 9,552,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Anybody remember the Sinclair computer?
Yep. Owned one (didn't do a lot with it, because by then I had big computers at work to play with). Anybody remember the BBC Micro? It has recently been reborn as the Raspberry Pi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or